Do people really want to build the "new Hawks" around Josh Smith?

TheNorthCydeRises

I'm pretty sure that Josh is more likely to be the Joker or Bane or maybe even the Scarecrow. Hell he could even be the Riddler. He's far more apt to be a villain than a hero as far as his perception to the fans.

How about Two-Face, just flip a coin to decide whether he's going to be good or bad.
  • Like 2

How about Two-Face, just flip a coin to decide whether he's going to be good or bad.

Ah that's even better! I forgot all about him but that fits perfectly. Of course if we get Dwight then he's going to have to be something related to Superman. I'm not enough of a comic book nerd, or a comic book nerd at all for that matter, to come up with anyone though.

Ah that's even better! I forgot all about him but that fits perfectly.

Of course if we get Dwight then he's going to have to be something related to Superman. I'm not enough of a comic book nerd, or a comic book nerd at all for that matter, to come up with anyone though.

Bizarro

Posted Image

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Let me tell you what Josh Smith is...

I guess most of the Squawk was abducted and had their memories wiped. But, there was a time when Josh Smith ***CHANGED** the way teams played us. Trying to sell this value to an analytics dude or a flat out hater is useless. Those who know...KNOW. Anytime you have a player that does that, you have a defensive anchor. There was a time when I could not tell you who was the MVP of this team - this being before JJ fell off.

So, you take THAT potential. Now you combine it with a guy that SHOULD be pulling around 10 boards a game. Add that to the way he manages to (to paraphrase Nique) "get his hands on balls." The Josh Smith effect begins to take shape. This is where he brings the most value and if he had wrapped his mind around that early on (instead of setting out to prove his mid range game), I believe we would have been a totally different team. What does this say about his offense? Nothing and that's where I don't understand the fascination with Smoove is.

This guy is dependable points up to around 15 ppg +/-. Beyond that, he's a guy that's holding you back. You can't lean on JSmoove's offense. Especially not when some nights, it's coming from "gimme" shots on the perimeter. A knucklehead that can't get that through his head and 9 years in doesn't know to give the ball up on the break is not worth anywhere near upwards of 20 million a season.

He needs to focus exclusively on his post moves. He's got stuff around the basket that his hard to guard when he doesn't force things. Not good enough for a leading scorer or a 2nd leading scorer, but enough to draw the defense. If he would lean on that hook going to his left...then you're looking at a "Robin." That shot is almost un-guardable. With his athleticism...it would be insanse. I have also been saying this since day one, but if he would use that more often and learn to GO GLASS, there's nobody that could guard him.

Building around this? No. Only because at this point, playing to his potential, Josh is still a Robin. Is he worth the Max at this point? Probably, but not an overpaid max like JJ, where he's getting bonuses from the incumbent team. But certainly worth the max to a team under the cap.

• Like 3

Excellent post wretched one!

I'm happy to build around Josh as part of our triumvirate of 2 other guys at least as good as him... preferably more though. I definitely don't want to give him anywhere near $20 million though as that type of contract can really hamstring your team. If we could get him and D12 and CP3 to take $15 million each starting out then we'd still be able to load up with talent around them.

Bizarro

Posted Image

Had to go look him up but that sounds perfect!

I'm OK with building around Josh if we get Howard and another elite player next summer. Which means he's the #3 and that's perfect.My guess: If Howard gets traded to a team other than the ATL and extends, Josh gets traded. If before season, probably to Houston for prospects so we still have our cap space. At trade deadline the latest.

Excellent post wretched one! I'm happy to build around Josh as part of our triumvirate of 2 other guys at least as good as him... preferably more though. I definitely don't want to give him anywhere near $20 million though as that type of contract can really hamstring your team. If we could get him and D12 and CP3 to take $15 million each starting out then we'd still be able to load up with talent around them. Had to go look him up but that sounds perfect!

You try telling D12 and CP3 they gonna be taking a pay cut to make the same as Josh. I'm sure they see themselves in an upper tier from him. They've been making multiple all-stars and being the focul point of their teams, Josh - not so much. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Because this is the ultimate decision the Hawks will have to make this time next year. Unless the dude gets hurt, he's going to command near max dollars. Do the Hawks want to invest 5 years - 80 to 100 mill in Josh Smith?

I like Josh Smith and I'm a fan of his but unless he makes everyone eats their words this year with improved consistent play now that ferry is making this HIS team barring a major trade, I hope Ferry doesn't pay him max. He showed flashes last season that he has the potential. Now he needs to put it all together. he can't blame Joe and Marvin anymore for holding him back. Horford needs to be more assertive as well and assist with the scoring load. We need the Dominican Republic Horford

Josh offensively will for ever be a 15-19 ppg guy. Hes a good 2nd or 3rd option to a true #option. Here come the Smoove haters.

When push comes to shove he will shoot low percentages in the playoffs. As good as he was on the boards against Boston, he shot below 40% in every single game.

Because this is the ultimate decision the Hawks will have to make this time next year. Unless the dude gets hurt, he's going to command near max dollars. Do the Hawks want to invest 5 years - 80 to 100 mill in Josh Smith?

I absolutely would, and I stated such two years ago when I said the Hawks should let Joe Johnson walk and build around Josh Smith and Al Horford. The premise at that time was to gear up for a run at Dwight Howard in 2013. However, I absolutely would consider Josh a part of a new core that will be built around. The guy is a rare breed in the NBA, as he is a two way player. He has an impact both on offense and defense. No, he isn't as efficient on offense as we all would like, but he has proven that he can dominate the game on both ends. There is a reason this team didn't drop off any in games Joe Johnson missed over the past two years. That reason is largely Josh Smith. Over the past two seasons, the Hawks were 6-4 without Joe Johnson. Without Josh Smith, they were 2-4. Both are small sample sizes, but I think it is beyond obvious that Josh had the bigger impact on this team.

At some point, the Hawks will have to make a decision between Smith and Horford. I don't see Josh being the guy the Hawks build around, but possibly a player you build with.

Neither of those guys are a player to build a contender around. At best they are the third best player on a championship team. Smith is a better player right now, but I think Al will be the better player when they both diminish athletically. Edited by thefloydian