• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith has to go

MVP23

• Moderators

I am not a josh fan at all but I don't have a problem with his play tonight at all. The three at the end was not his fault and the illegal screen was Teagues fault.

I agree. The three at the end was not his fault. At the end of games, coaches like to see the shot go up by 5 at the latest so that if it's a miss, you still have a chance at a rebound and another shot. The illegal screen was Teague's fault because he did not allow Josh to get set. The backcourt violation was really the only thing that Josh did bad tonight. The Hawks got beat by a red-hot Melo tonight, and only loss by 2. Teague been stepping up big though w/ Lou hurt.

it may not be josh fault but too many in this forum are taking up for josh. Screw THAT! he wants a max contract right?....well hell you gotta show me something to get that max.

I just watched melo drop 40 and you were guarding him much of the game.

I just saw you do 2 critical plays at the end of the game. (one was teague and josh's fault, josh stuck his leg out and teague went too early)

I mean wheather you are a hawk fan or not Smith is telling us that he is the best player on this hawks team and that he deserves the BIG money but he cant hardly compete with real BIG time stars of the NBA. If it wasnt for teague we arent even in that game. Josh seriously thinks too highly of himself.

I agree. The three at the end was not his fault. At the end of games, coaches like to see the shot go up by 5 at the latest so that if it's a miss, you still have a chance at a rebound and another shot. The illegal screen was Teague's fault because he did not allow Josh to get set. The backcourt violation was really the only thing that Josh did bad tonight. The Hawks got beat by a red-hot Melo tonight, and only loss by 2. Teague been stepping up big though w/ Lou hurt.

That;s the problem though. If Teague did manage to get that shot up, instead of being forced to go under the basket, Josh would've been nowhere in position to get the rebound, because he's 25 feet away from the basket even as Teague drove.

And the illegal screen is on BOTH Teague and Josh. Teague for not waiting . . . Josh for sticking his leg out trying to set the screen.

LOL . . . nothing is ever Josh's fault. Here is how the Hawks ended the game

1:34 . . . Horford makes 2 point shot on a Josh assist . . (( GOOD JOSH ))

0:56 . . . Josh steals the ball from Melo . . . (( GOOD JOSH ))

0:52 . . . Josh called for an over and back, simply because he wanted to bring the ball up the court . . (( BAD JOSH ))

0:43 . . . Josh plays great defense on Melo and forces a miss . . . (( GOOD JOSH ))

0:22 . . . Josh called for an illegal screen, which gives the ball back to the Knicks . . (( BAD JOSH ))

0:12 . . . Melo drives for a lay up because Josh was playing for the block, instead of playing the man . . (( BAD JOSH ))

0:02 . . . Josh misses the game winning 3 pointer, when he shoud've been diving toward the basket . . (( BAD JOSH ))

3 good plays - 4 bad plays = loss at the end of the game

It is what it is. Josh is 2 Face in the Batman comic. A good and a bad guy at the same damn time.

• Like 3

You guys kill me. If that moving screen was Teague's fault I guess the one's Zaza commits on the regular are the fault of Teague or whoever else he sets them for also? If Jon Berry did not say that I doubt many here would have come to that conclusion. You are taught to get a piece of the man and the guard is taught to wait until the screne setter gets a piece. I don't care whose fault it was Josh consistently makes flat out bad plays. He needs to quit trying to play PG and he did not have to take that shot with 4 seconds on the clock.

If his BBIQ was as great as some like to think he would have used that 20 second time out that I clearly saw Drew state that they had, or he would have rotated the ball to Deshawn in the corner or maybe Al at the free throw line all higher percentage shots than him taking a 3.

9 years deep how do people keep making excuses for this guy.

Edited by MrMeltdown
  • Like 1

To blame josh for that 3 is hard. He had no choice but to shoot the ball with limited time on the clock. If he passed the ball out them some of you would be blaming him for passing up the shot. The fact is that was a bad play call by the coach on the final play. The over the back was Josh's fault. So what. He made a brilliant dunk on the prior play. The illegal screen was a terrible call. As others have said if that had beena anyone but the hawks that would not have been a foul. KG makes that play all day long. The foul on Carmello was not justified. That was a call the nba refs like to make to add excitement to the game. Overall he played well. This team will never draw a star like Dwight or cp3 because this city does support their sports teams. Get used to it. If the hawks deal smoove you will regret it.

To blame josh for that 3 is hard. He had no choice but to shoot the ball with limited time on the clock. If he passed the ball out them some of you would be blaming him for passing up the shot. The fact is that was a bad play call by the coach on the final play. The over the back was Josh's fault. So what. He made a brilliant dunk on the prior play. The illegal screen was a terrible call. As others have said if that had beena anyone but the hawks that would not have been a foul. KG makes that play all day long. The foul on Carmello was not justified. That was a call the nba refs like to make to add excitement to the game. Overall he played well. This team will never draw a star like Dwight or cp3 because this city does support their sports teams. Get used to it. If the hawks deal smoove you will regret it.

4 seconds left on the clock and a 40 plus percent 3pt shooting Deshawn is wide open 5 feet away. Yeah I can blame Josh for trying to be the hero who took the low percentage choice instead of the high one.
  • Like 2

Because Josh has won so much...

• Like 1

Right . . . because the 3 - 0 record vs playoff level teams WITHOUT Josh Smith this year, proves that we will miss him when he is gone.

Smith is NOT a superstar. That means that the talent he does possess is replaceable.

His rebounds can be replaced by Zaza and Ivan and an increased effort from Horford

His outside shots will be replaced by BETTER outside shooters. Maybe Korver gets 2 or more extra shots.

His transition turnovers are eliminated, with Teague having the ball more than ever.

The only thing that we don't have that can't be replaced, are Josh's blocked shots. But even with that, good position defense > blocked shots.

If Smith isn't expendable, then give him a MAX deal. If he doesn't deserve the MAX, that means he's expendable.

• Like 1

4 seconds left on the clock and a 40 plus percent 3pt shooting Deshawn is wide open 5 feet away. Yeah I can blame Josh for trying to be the hero who took the low percentage choice instead of the high one.

I also thought he should have passed to Deshawn. Not sure there would have been time for Deshawn to get the shot off. Tough call.

I also thought he should have passed to Deshawn. Not sure there would have been time for Deshawn to get the shot off. Tough call.

If you go back and watch the play you'll see he gets it with 4 seconds left, which is plenty of time to pass 5-10 feet to Deshawn and then get a shot up. Heck you can catch and get a shot up in just over a second so there was easily enough time to make that pass and get a good shot off.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I could see Josh thinking there wasn't time but he caught, set his feet, and went into that pick wind up. DS would have gotten it off i'm pretty sure. Heck Horford almost had a chance to shoot it after the rebound. Nothing guarantees that DS would have made it but i like his chances better.

• Like 1

I could see Josh thinking there wasn't time but he caught, set his feet, and went into that pick wind up. DS would have gotten it off i'm pretty sure. Heck Horford almost had a chance to shoot it after the rebound. Nothing guarantees that DS would have made it but i like his chances better.

39% (not 40+ as I originally thought he still was) vs 29% shooter, I know who I'm banking on.

The main illustration of Josh's intellectual ineptitude is his inability to even convert that huge and-1 after the dunk, yet continuously shooting long jumpers, taking opportunities away from one of the better three point shooters of his era, not to mention Teague, Stephenson, and Harris, who all look like Larry Bird compared to Josh. And declaring yourself a max player? Any clown knows that one of the main traits of max players is to get to the line a lot and hit most. He is afraid to get to the line, and can barely hit any. He's run his course here. A change of scenery will be great for both parties. It will be as easy for Ferry to increase our team BBIQ exponentially by trading Josh just as easily as he replaced Joe with Kyle and Lou to improve offensive efficiency and save tens of millions. The sooner he gets it done, the better for most Hawks fans. We simply need more intelligence, team play, and offensive rebounding from our starting 4.

• Like 1

I totally agree....

• Premium Member

The main illustration of Josh's intellectual ineptitude is his inability to even convert that huge and-1 after the dunk, yet continuously shooting long jumpers, taking opportunities away from one of the better three point shooters of his era, not to mention Teague, Stephenson, and Harris, who all look like Larry Bird compared to Josh. And declaring yourself a max player? Any clown knows that one of the main traits of max players is to get to the line a lot and hit most. He is afraid to get to the line, and can barely hit any. He's run his course here. A change of scenery will be great for both parties. It will be as easy for Ferry to increase our team BBIQ exponentially by trading Josh just as easily as he replaced Joe with Kyle and Lou to improve offensive efficiency and save tens of millions. The sooner he gets it done, the better for most Hawks fans. We simply need more intelligence, team play, and offensive rebounding from our starting 4.

The Josh Smith era in Atlanta needs to end. There have been some nice moments for sure, but now the whole thing has run its course. I can't even watch games anymore because it turns my stomach to see Josh play offense. He looks like the reincarnation of Toine.