• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Talking Heads on Josh: "Name another star player (in any sport) that has accomplished less in 9 years."

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

You can't make this bs up.The talking heads blasted LD Monday, Teague Tuesday, and today the ire of sports radio has shifted to one Mr. Josh Smith. I do not understand why we consistently eat our own in this town. Sure Josh has not pushed the hawks far in the playoffs, but has he ever been in position to do so? This was JJ's team for 7 of the 9 years. This season he split roles with Horford. So I say it's an unfair question. He can't be the highest paid player on a team, but he's far from being a disappointment.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 2

really ? hes the biggest source of frustration on the hawks period. Josh Smith is potential unrealized - he will never will a team to win, he will never be a leader, and with his rep for being selfish and uncoachable he will probably never be an allstar.

Players like Josh are better suited to streetball because streetball is all about the player and not the team . Until he can put his team first he will always be a talent and superstar only in numbers.

• Premium Member

I know I don't like saying this but let's be honest: Josh got the Hawks as far as Nique did, as far as Deke and Smitty and Mookie did. Blaming him for not being a superstar when no one has ever said he was is kinda silly.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Whats the beef with Dale Murphy accomplishing less in 9 years then Josh Smith ?

He won back back MVPs.

2nd most HRs of any player in the decade of the 80s.

Lead his team to a Pennant back when only 4 teams went to the playoffs ( 2 in NL and 2 in AL). That would be the equivalent of the Hawks maing the ECF.

Its not his fault he was stuck on some awful Braves teams from 84-89. Baseball is so much more a team sport then is basketball.

I was about to post something along the same lines. Murphy was a superstar stud and IMO should be in the HOF. It isn't his fault PEDs started taking over baseball at the tail end of his career and he couldn't keep putting 30+ HR seasons.

Josh Smith is nowhere near the same level of player Murphy was.

• Like 1

Unrealized potential that's why, we all see what a focused Josh can be.

Josh was supposed to be the bust of his draft class according to Jay Bilas.

Maybe our expectations of Josh were just unrealistic. I thought he would take control of this team with Joe gone but it never materialized.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Its not about how far the hawks teams have gotten - its always been about how Josh has excepted his role on the team - does he do the necessary things to give his team the best chance to win on a consistant basis? Can he except his role and in turn enable his teammates to grow into their roles ? Josh Smith is no doubt talented, but he has never demonstrated that he could be developed into a team player that can be counted on to do HIS job .

I guess Ricky Williams comes to mind. He was amazing until he failed a bunch of drug tests. There's so much hate on Smith in this town for a reason. The same reason he never gets selected to all star teams. I don't think too much about it really needs to be said, let's hope he finds a home somewhere else., although I can't stand the thought of seeing him dunk on us in a different jersey.

I just can't wait till he's signed somewhere else and I can laugh at him instead of cussing at him the same way Joe gave me some good laughs this year with his stinkers. Mark Jackson would pull out a pistol on live TV and start shooting at Josh if he took a jumper away from his backcourt, and I couldn't blame him one bit.

Edited by benhillboy

Whats the beef with Dale Murphy accomplishing less in 9 years then Josh Smith ? He won back back MVPs.2nd most HRs of any player in the decade of the 80s.Lead his team to a Pennant back when only 4 teams went to the playoffs ( 2 in NL and 2 in AL). That would be the equivalent of the Hawks maing the ECF. Its not his fault he was stuck on some awful Braves teams from 84-89. Baseball is so much more a team sport then is basketball.

Josh Smith couldn't lace Dale Murphy's cleats in his best wet dream. Murphy carried teams on his back that were so bad, he could've sued the Braves for non-support and won. At least Osh had JJ and Horford; who rode shotgun with Murphy other than an oft-injured Bob Horner and Neikro, who was in the twilight of his career? Oddibe McDowell? Andres Thomas? Dion James? Rick Mahler's 72-mph cheddar? A coked up Pasquel Perez?Where are Osh's back-to-back MVPs? When did he get voted as a starter on an All-Star team? Better yet, have Osh made an All-Star team before? We all know the answer to that.
  • Like 2

Guest Walter

I know I don't like saying this but let's be honest: Josh got the Hawks as far as Nique did, as far as Deke and Smitty and Mookie did. Blaming him for not being a superstar when no one has ever said he was is kinda silly.

Amen.

I don't know that it's fair to totally bash Josh. He won the Slam Dunk Contest, was the youngest player to reach the 500-blocks and 1000-blocks mark, and I think he's fairly highly ranked in the all-time Hawks franchise points, blocks, and rebounds categories.

I'll give you that the guy is frustrating as hell with the long jumpers and botched plays, etc., but to say that he hasn't accomplished anything in the last 9 years is not exactly accurate. That's why he's considered the #3 FA this summer after all.

I don't care if the dude comes back or not - I guess it would be nice if it were for a low salary - but I can't get on the "bash Josh just to bash Josh" bandwagon. He's pretty good, but not great. Meh.

I don't know that it's fair to totally bash Josh. He won the Slam Dunk Contest, was the youngest player to reach the 500-blocks and 1000-blocks mark, and I think he's fairly highly ranked in the all-time Hawks franchise points, blocks, and rebounds categories.

I'll give you that the guy is frustrating as hell with the long jumpers and botched plays, etc., but to say that he hasn't accomplished anything in the last 9 years is not exactly accurate. That's why he's considered the #3 FA this summer after all.

I don't care if the dude comes back or not - I guess it would be nice if it were for a low salary - but I can't get on the "bash Josh just to bash Josh" bandwagon. He's pretty good, but not great. Meh.

Yo why are u jacking my name???

Edited by Bonkers

My bad bro, never saw you post before. Just joined recently and "MrBonkers" is my SN on a bunch of other stuff so I just used it here, too. Great minds ...?

Not soft on Josh, btw. He's the most frustrating Hawk I've ever known. I was at all 3 home playoff games and every time he started lifting the ball up for a long 2 or a 3, I was the first one in the audience screaming "NOOOOO!!!!" I just don't think it's accurate to say he hasn't accomplished anything in 9 yrs.