• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks have matched Teague offer sheet

yungsta

I have been liking every move Ferry has made except this one puzzles me. We should never hope to be a middle of the pack team, so I don't know if Ferry believes this makes us a contender or what. I thought for sure they would go with Dennis as soon as possible, having a shorter term contract for a vet PG here until the time comes.

2012 core:

Jeff Teague, Al Horford, Josh Smith, Kyle Korver

2013 core:

Jeff Teague, Al Horford, Paul Millsap, Kyle Korver

In between these 2 rosters: just the most cap space of any team in the league. No big deal.

Edited by RWF
  • Like 1

What did we do with the most cap space in the league? Gave more to Korver, more to Teague and swapped Josh for Paul.

Remember the pro-tank talk about having to spend your money, so if your tanking, why not on your own players? Well.....

• Premium Member

Looks like Horf is happy about this.Tweet from Al Horford (@Al_Horford)Al Horford (@Al_Horford) tweeted at 6:49 PM on Sat, Jul 13, 2013:Yes!!!!!!! @Teague0. time to work! RT @ajchawks: Hawks will match the offer sheet to Jeff Teague. Back in Atlanta. #ATLHawks

• Like 3

My guess we might have been trying to get Jennings or Mo Williams at a reasonable price/reasonable length contract and it didn't work out so we kept Teague since he's good enough for the time being and we'll trade him with a couple years left on his contract. Otherwise, why wouldn't we have known whether or not we wanted to match immediately? Why would we have been waiting for two days?

Stop guessing. He's back. That's all that matters. Go Hawks!

Josh Smith will either look like a fool or Millsap a superstar if this roster of the Hawks advances past the 2nd round. If it doesn't, we are the same middle of the pack team that we were last season. No lottery pick, no advancing in the playoffs. YEAH!

Hawks needed Teague and Horford to provide the core --- with expectations that Jenkins and Scott will be significantly better. Hawks may have some potential ballers in Schröder and Noguiera. Getting a 25 year old Teague provides Hawks with a solid PG. Lets hope Bud can get Teague to do something special

So, let's assume we resign Mack and Scott (about $1 mil each), Muscala ($500k) and Schröder $1.5 mil) make the team, and Nogueira plays overseas. Let's assume Korver's and Teague's starting salaries are $6 mil and $8 mil (might be lower if $6 mil and $8 mil are ave. over the life of their contracts). Horford and Millsap make $12 mil and $9.5 mil, Carroll makes $2.5 mil. Lou makes $5.25 mil. Jenkins and Cunningham both make $1.25 mil. That's 12 players at roughly $50 million.

We still have a few open roster spots and about $8 mil or $9 mil to spend.

Great to see. At least until December, we'll see how well Jeff handles this professionally. Congrats on the new contract, Jeff!

~lw3

December? Are you thinking of the 14th? Well as a condition of being matched he can't be traded anywhere without his consent for the whole year. Then again, the guy willfully signed in Milwaukee so I can't imagine they'd be a single other place he wouldn't want to go to.

• Premium Member

Horrible decision unless the idea is to trade him later on. Teague is mediocre and not a natural point guard. We need to start our young guys and let them develop to see if its worth investing in them for the future. Having a mediocre Teague soaking up starting minutes plus wasting our cap on mediocre starters is horrible.

Treadmill be treadmill.

• Like 3

People moan at Ferry saying they are confused with the direction and disappointment at signing Teague, but what option was there? Not sign him then what, sign which point guard? Nobody decent is available, if anything he had to resign Teague and now maybe work a package to trade him elsewhere... Well that's my view...