• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

30 Most Used Players TS% vs Usage% Chart (Why You Should Be Glad Jbrick Is Gone)

yungsta

• Moderators

Nice chart. It definitely shows the gap between Lebron and Durant and the rest of the league. Hopefully Horford's usage will rise enough to fit on this chart without a significant reduction in TS%.

• Moderators

I don't really know but I"m guessing last season is extreme for Gay. He had a bad year. I'm thinking he doesn't look that bad in previous years but I'm not smart enough to look it up.

Last year was Gay's worst but he never looks very good. So it is an outlier but I wouldn't call it extreme. He was .027 different than the year before and the years before that he varied by .027, .013, .013, and .022. It isn't that far off from a normal swing for him.

it puzzle me how he could of blown his best opportunity to have his greatest offensive season on a contract year.

1.We got rid of a high usage player (joe) and replaced him with low usage high percentage shooters to give him more opportunities. - Yet he used that opportunity to make more Bad basketball plays.

2. We had some of the best spacing in the league to give him room to drive and post up more - yet he insisted on jacking a career high in 3's.

3. We added another speedy pg in devin to go with teague and run a more uptempo offense to get him more easy opportunities in transition- but he kept taking the ball out of the PG hands and slowing down our offensive tempo.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't you know if you guys saw it Gay apparently has needed to wear glasses for years and refused to wear glasses or contacts. He had eye surgery this offseason to try and improve his vision as a result. I just find it unreal the guy has played this long with vision problems. Personally I'm blind as a bat so I can't imagine how he did it.

This is a great chart, but as far as Josh Smith goes this doesn't do anything to add to or subtract from the debate we've had going on for months/years. He's an inefficient offensive player. We got it. You don't need any fancy charts to show that. But this chart is 100% focused on offense. Anyone who has anything good to say about Josh typically focuses on what he brings to the table on the defensive side of the ball.

I'd love to see if someone can come up with a chart that plots DRtg or DWS against average opponent PER or something like that. I'd love to see where guys fall on that scale, and I bet Josh ranks close to the top.

This is a great chart, but as far as Josh Smith goes this doesn't do anything to add to or subtract from the debate we've had going on for months/years. He's an inefficient offensive player. We got it. You don't need any fancy charts to show that. But this chart is 100% focused on offense. Anyone who has anything good to say about Josh typically focuses on what he brings to the table on the defensive side of the ball.

I'd love to see if someone can come up with a chart that plots DRtg or DWS against average opponent PER or something like that. I'd love to see where guys fall on that scale, and I bet Josh ranks close to the top.

The Josh of 2009 is what Josh should strive to be. If he was still trying to be that player his value would be higher and he would probably still be a Hawk with a large contract.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

So just reading this with my eyes close... The stats people are saying that James Harden and Blake Griffin are better than Russel Westbrook and DeMarcus Cousins?

Everything has a story right?

• Premium Member

it puzzle me how he could of blown his best opportunity to have his greatest offensive season on a contract year.

1.We got rid of a high usage player (joe) and replaced him with low usage high percentage shooters to give him more opportunities. - Yet he used that opportunity to make more Bad basketball plays.

2. We had some of the best spacing in the league to give him room to drive and post up more - yet he insisted on jacking a career high in 3's.

3. We added another speedy pg in devin to go with teague and run a more uptempo offense to get him more easy opportunities in transition- but he kept taking the ball out of the PG hands and slowing down our offensive tempo.

The truth is that JSmoove has no slash in his game. He couldn't find a slash on a Keyboard. That's his fatal flaw. He's not a slasher. I think that's what seperates him from Rudy Gay. Rudy Gay is a mean and evil slasher. He's just been in coaching schemes that dictated that he waits on his shot. Hollins offense was made for a shooter and not a slasher. Toronto is going to move him if they can. He may end up in a place like Charlotte with the Hornets. IF he goes there, those guys have no need for a shooter. They need a scorer.

So just reading this with my eyes close... The stats people are saying that James Harden and Blake Griffin are better than Russel Westbrook and DeMarcus Cousins?

why single out Harden. Kyrie Irving is also a better offensive player than Westbrook. And Lemarcus Aldridge is better than Cousins. How about those stories?

• Premium Member

why single out Harden. Kyrie Irving is also a better offensive player than Westbrook. And Lemarcus Aldridge is better than Cousins. How about those stories?

Why not. I'm just saying. Stats don't begin to tell the story at all. Like I said that other day, many times, you don't want that second and third option guy hoisting up shots. His shooting percentage is really based on the percentage that the high USG guy gives him. It's really difficult to be the focus of the team's defensive planning. Stat guys don't see the game like that. Stat guys see that a guy plays the game and weather he's out there or not, the defense is constant. NOOOOOO. There are players who have the defenses attention because the defense knows if they stop that guy they will win the game. So a guy is a low percentage guy... OK, let's look at the whole story.

For Smoove. There is no story. He's a straight up bad Basketball IQ.

For many of the guys at the top, you can't really isolate them because they play with a very good cast of players who will eat you up also. Some guys are referee protected and you can't do anything to impede them. Then there are some guys who are just carrying Their team and they get no respect (Hello Wall, Hello Kemba, Hello LaMarcus).

Nice chart. It definitely shows the gap between Lebron and Durant and the rest of the league. Hopefully Horford's usage will rise enough to fit on this chart without a significant reduction in TS%.

I totally missed LBJ and Durant on the chart - out of my field of vision when I took a glance at the chart, lol.

• Premium Member

This was our guy. This was our "franchise talent." This was our identity. Dude was the focus of our offense and he was our alpha.

...and it somehow DOESN'T affect the rest of the team and we're NOT going to be a better team without him? You can make the argument for what he brought on the defensive end, but you're only talking about a small part of the game...and that is something Smoove hadn't focused on in YEARS.

Truth is, the way we were using Smoove...we were shooting ourselves in the foot. I said it over and over again, but people were so focused on how Smoove was going to break out and be this awesome star player for us. The bottom line is, offensively...in the prime of our playoff pushes, Smoove should have been our 3rd or 4th option. The offense should have shifted to Teague and Horford, with Smoove focusing on what he does GREAT and playing a Ben Wallace type of role.

• Like 3

Nice chart. It definitely shows the gap between Lebron and Durant and the rest of the league.

Before last season I didn't want to anoint Durant as a historical talent, let alone near-LeBron level. I knocked him for average dribble and defense. I can't knock nothing now. If he retired after another season like his last, I'd have to call him a HOFer. To facilitate and have an exceptional jump shot with his body type is stuff of legend and he's only 24. He's doing all this with another guy on his team with much higher usage and much lower efficiency. The debate as to whether that style is working for the Thunder or should be changed is a fascinating case in basketball analysis. He's the only player with a game as well- rounded and dominant enough to be considered LeBron's rival, but I'm not the biggest fan of these young cats playing together for USA Basketball. When the Dream Team got together they had already had their wars and hate hashed out for each other. Everybody being buddy-buddy with LeBron will have this generation's young studs out in the cold like Ewing, Miller, Stockton, and Malone, and they all hated Jordan. Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

This was our guy. This was our "franchise talent." This was our identity. Dude was the focus of our offense and he was our alpha.

...and it somehow DOESN'T affect the rest of the team and we're NOT going to be a better team without him? You can make the argument for what he brought on the defensive end, but you're only talking about a small part of the game...and that is something Smoove hadn't focused on in YEARS.

Truth is, the way we were using Smoove...we were shooting ourselves in the foot. I said it over and over again, but people were so focused on how Smoove was going to break out and be this awesome star player for us. The bottom line is, offensively...in the prime of our playoff pushes, Smoove should have been our 3rd or 4th option. The offense should have shifted to Teague and Horford, with Smoove focusing on what he does GREAT and playing a Ben Wallace type of role.

Wretch.. you know ego wouldn't let that happen.

We had to deal with EGO. EGO was " I am Midrange shawty." Ego was "I don't want to be known as a dunker like Nique". Ego was "I don't care about what the fans say". Ego was "I'm worth more than 15 Million per year to yall". I'm so glad that Ego is in Detroit.

• Like 3

• Moderators

The story here isn't overall player value. This is a tool in evaluating scoring ability.

James Harden is a better scorer than Westrbrook. Griffin is a better scorer than Cousins (until Cousins stops shooting jumpers).

It shouldn't be hard to follow. It doesn't say anything about defense, passing, turnovers, etc.

• Like 3