• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague and Schröder

jmac54

• Premium Member

I'd rather him develop on our team in our system with our players. I'd rather D-League than the bench but I still think he's better off getting NBA minutes to adjust to this caliber of athlete and skill, which he won't get in the D-League. He's already got years of playing in pro level ball so I don't see the D-League helping too much.

I just can't see him getting much playing time with Lou Williams coming back.

You could definitely put up way more than 14 pounds of muscle in a few months but you would have to be using hgh and some kind of steroid cycling to do it. It is possible that Dennis has a higher than average level of testosterone that would enable him to put on muscle faster than normal but he's not doing 14 pounds without outside help.

Concerning the 14 pounds I put up. I got it from that Spiegel Magazine article posted here recently by someone else.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/german-rookie-dennis-Schröder-hoping-for-basketball-stardom-a-931038-2.html

When he came to Atlanta in late August, he weighed 71 kilos (156 pounds). He had to put on at least five more kilos, his coach said, "or they'll blow you over in the NBA." Training includes 45 minutes in the weight room and three protein shakes, which the Hawks' fitness guru mixes for him. Schröder now weighs 78 kilos and still looks as if they would blow him over.

As far as being benched tonight. Well maybe its because of what I have been saying and Coach Bud seeing this guy needs some rest and some reflection going. Dennis did however play his better games away. The forcing to show what he got to the Atlanta crowd got him most these bad TO's. He has shooting issues, but the biggest really is that he doesnt shoot at all. In the game against Philly the first half was actually pretty decent not making mistakes and guarding well. In the second sub rotation however you saw he was begging at two occassions for open 3 point shots, but he didnt get the ball which prolly set him up. Then he made the two horrible TO's. Obviously there is also a big mental issue going on being so hungry for attention and only playing so few minutes with limited succes, forcing himself to do even stupider things. He needs to start from scratch and train harder than anyone else.

• Premium Member

Designating him doesn't sound like a bad idea. Lou is a perinneal 6th MOTY candidate combo guard, Soth. He will take Dennis' minutes and then some.

He's a sg only. The minutes he should be cutting in are Korver (Carroll as a result of Korver moving to SF) and Jenkins.

• Premium Member

Here's the bottom line about this comparison..

I see people comparing Teague's first year to Dennis. Obviously, you people never watched. Woody was a horrible coach when it came to developing players. When it came to Teague, he stuck Teague in his ISO offense... Teague had to do as Smoove and JJ said.. and then if Teague made one mistake, he was back to the bench. That's what i remember about Teague's rookie year. Teague's second year was the same thing. When it came down to us in the playoffs vs. Chicago (Teague's coming out party). Remember, Hinrich got hurt in the Orlando series. Woody had no choice but to play his rookie. Believe it or not, even though Joe did a lot of Iso work, I think Joe did a lot to help Teague. I remember Joe being Teague's biggest fan. Teague busted the MVP's ass on that court... and Teague had very little experience. Third year...Under LD... LD let Teague be his PG. LD was actually better for Teague with one exception.... Josh SMith. Josh Smith was still the bully of the offense.

This year, with no bully, Teague is having a great season. Let's hope it continues.

Schröder has to work his way up. Right now, he doesn't fit our system. That's not to say that he won't be a great talent, but he doesn't fit what we need. We need a guy that's Parker like... That can get in the lane and score. A guy who is fast. Right now, Schröder is more like Brevin Knight. ANd this is not a slight to him. Knight was a great floor general. He just couldn't shoot. There are other offenses that fit what Schröder does better. That's a true PNR (like Utah) offense with great shooters on the perimeter.

• Like 1

Schröder has to work his way up. Right now, he doesn't fit our system. That's not to say that he won't be a great talent, but he doesn't fit what we need. We need a guy that's Parker like... That can get in the lane and score. A guy who is fast. Right now, Schröder is more like Brevin Knight. ANd this is not a slight to him. Knight was a great floor general. He just couldn't shoot.

Just want to point out that Parker was a poor shooter and distributor his first few years in the NBA. Which is probably why he was drafted at the end of the 1st.
  • Like 3

So if Teague didn't fit Woody's offense and Dennis doesn't fif this offense - what does that mean. Half dozen of one and 6 of the other - that would be similar circumstances.So if Teague got benched for making mistakes and Dennis got benched for mistakes. Sure sounds similar to me.NINE GAMES Dennis has played - it has taken Teague 4 years to be this version of himself for 9 games. Wether it's the system, coaches, who's not here and Teague's natural development, it's a good thing the Hawks didn't dump him after his 1st 9 games. It took Teague time to get here, at least afford Dennis half a season (lol) before you throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Premium Member

I find it so typical of this place that people are taking out agendas on a 20 year old rookie coming from overseas and has a total of what 7 games played under his belt? Wow. Dennis looked great in SL, looked good in preseason and before the suspension was playing well at the NBA level. Give the kid a chance.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I find it so typical of this place that people are taking out agendas on a 20 year old rookie coming from overseas and has a total of what 7 games played under his belt? Wow. Dennis looked great in SL, looked good in preseason and before the suspension was playing well at the NBA level. Give the kid a chance.

i guess i didn't back up far enough in this thread but i've thought Dennis has looked real good for the most part. NBA players are damn good. He's not an idiot. He knows he has to learn a lot and get used to the speed and size and skills of his opponents.

While i think it was ridiculous that folks thought he'd be better than Teague right out of the gate I do think he's shown to be a better nba PG than acie, salim, and even jordan crawford.

I'm seeing little chance Ferry trades him and he should be a solid contributor before the year is over. Mack looked great against the Knicks but let's face it the Knicks weren't trying to defend very hard.

• Like 1

Here's the bottom line about this comparison..

I see people comparing Teague's first year to Dennis. Obviously, you people never watched. Woody was a horrible coach when it came to developing players. When it came to Teague, he stuck Teague in his ISO offense... Teague had to do as "He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned" and JJ said.. and then if Teague made one mistake, he was back to the bench. That's what i remember about Teague's rookie year. Teague's second year was the same thing. When it came down to us in the playoffs vs. Chicago (Teague's coming out party). Remember, Hinrich got hurt in the Orlando series. Woody had no choice but to play his rookie. Believe it or not, even though Joe did a lot of Iso work, I think Joe did a lot to help Teague. I remember Joe being Teague's biggest fan. Teague busted the MVP's ass on that court... and Teague had very little experience. Third year...Under LD... LD let Teague be his PG. LD was actually better for Teague with one exception.... "He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned". "He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned" was still the bully of the offense.

This year, with no bully, Teague is having a great season. Let's hope it continues.

Schröder has to work his way up. Right now, he doesn't fit our system. That's not to say that he won't be a great talent, but he doesn't fit what we need. We need a guy that's Parker like... That can get in the lane and score. A guy who is fast. Right now, Schröder is more like Brevin Knight. ANd this is not a slight to him. Knight was a great floor general. He just couldn't shoot. There are other offenses that fit what Schröder does better. That's a true PNR (like Utah) offense with great shooters on the perimeter.

That Chicago series was actually under Larry Drew. Woodson only coached Jeff for one year. Drew did the same thing to Jeff Woody did. Hinrich getting hurt was the only thing that saved him. Only difference is Drew stuck with Jeff the next season while Woody would have benched him.

I agree about Joe being Jeff's biggest fan. Thats the one thing I respected about Joe. His last year he knew the offense called for the ball to go to him but he always showed faith in Jeff by passing him the ball when things weren't there. Any other time Joe would put up a shot anyway. That's why I can never hate Joe. I don't think he ever wanted to be the guy that dominated the ball with isolations, that's just what Woody wanted him to do, and it became routine

• Like 1

You, Supes, and a few other people jumping the gun hard on Dennis and putting Teague way down in the process probably has a lot to do with people now being overly critical of the young rookie.

I'm thrilled that we have two young PGs to be excited about after being starved at that position for so long.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

You, Supes, and a few other people jumping the gun hard on Dennis and putting Teague way down in the process probably has a lot to do with people now being overly critical of the young rookie.

I'm thrilled that we have two young PGs to be excited about after being starved at that position for so long.

I stand by everything I said about both of them. Dennis has elite court vision and passing skills. I never said Teague was a bad player. I said he was an average starting point guard. Right now he's playing way above that level. I hope he can keep playing that well for the rest of his career.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I agree... I mean, how dare the fans of Dennis to proclaim him as the FUTURE of the Hawks when he hadn't played 1 game...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I am still very excited about Dennis' long-term prospects with this team. He is going to be a very good player. Let's give it some time.

My excitement with Dennis is based on how long Bud is coaching. IF Bud is going to be our coach longterm, I don't know if Dennis will be the guy who can play this system. Sure, he can pick and roll, but does he have it in him to be a three off the pick? If not, teams will see through our bluff.