• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Danny Ferry: "We're not focused on trying to be the eighth seed in the playoffs because that's not our goal."

GameTime

• Premium Member

Using the current Heat team as an example of what could or should be done is kinda useless as it's only happened once and took collusion by the 3 players to make it happen.

Nope I'm Ryan Ryan, the 3rd Ryan twin, unknown to most people.

I thought it was Bryan not Ryan?

• Moderators

Let's get the facts a little bit straighter.

Spoolstra took over in 2009.

He had two seasons where his team went to the first round of the playoffs. The first year, their second leading scorer (Marion) missed half of the season. The next year, Wade was the team. The point proven by Wade James and Bosh is that it requires more talent than just one superstar player to win in this league. When they got Wade, James, and Bosh, they went to the finals. They lost.

So my point is that moves can be made that gets you into the championship picture faster than waiting a quarter of a century for something to develop.

Your point is what???

That you can win without talent or that it takes a long time to get talent??

Richard Dent?? Is that you?

My point is that once you have competent leadership in place in takes more than 1-2 seasons to create a contender. Which is exactly what you just illustrated so maybe we are arguing the same point. You can't hold Ferry accountable for the quarter century of incompetence. The clock restarts with Ferry and Bud.

• Premium Member

My point is that once you have competent leadership in place in takes more than 1-2 seasons to create a contender. Which is exactly what you just illustrated so maybe we are arguing the same point. You can't hold Ferry accountable for the quarter century of incompetence. The clock restarts with Ferry and Bud.

I never said that Ferry had to build this ship this year or next. I said that I'm hoping we're not getting that same old blue smoke up our butts it takes time to build a winner speech that __________ GM and his apologist normally give. I'm willing to give Ferry 4 years then Look back and re-evaluate. However, I'm not willing to sign him to the 9 year... try try again, it takes time plan if all he's doing is drafting serviceable 2nd rounders and guys we can hide overseas.

Let's Understand this:

"Changing A culture" was Billy Knight's catch Phrase.

"We like our core" was Rick Sund's Catch Phrase.

So far, Ferry sounds like a poor imitation of what we have already had.

Let's get the facts a little bit straighter.

Spoolstra took over in 2009.

He had two seasons where his team went to the first round of the playoffs. The first year, their second leading scorer (Marion) missed half of the season. The next year, Wade was the team. The point proven by Wade James and Bosh is that it requires more talent than just one superstar player to win in this league. When they got Wade, James, and Bosh, they went to the finals. They lost.

So my point is that moves can be made that gets you into the championship picture faster than waiting a quarter of a century for something to develop.

Your point is what???

That you can win without talent or that it takes a long time to get talent??

Richard Dent?? Is that you?

So all we need is for the best player on the planet to hold the NBA hostage and decide to bring his talents to Atlanta.

Piece of cake!

• Like 2

Ferry and DeMarre getting ripped in the media for their quotes disregarding this year in favor of getting better for the future (translation: getting a high pick). Y'all happy?

Yup.

I know I sound like the eternal optimist (and I'm generally impressed with Ferry, didn't really like the Bebe pick at the time but whatevs), but we're essentially adding a #9 pick (small shot at getting a higher pick) to a 3 seed squad. I can live with that.

-Horford, Millsap, Korver, Teague?/Carroll? for vets leading us to the playoffs

-Shredder, Scott and Moose developing on the bench

-Very talented coach

-Small chunk of cap space, and we've seen Ferry find difference makers for cheap (We'll have about the same amount of cap we used to sign Millsap. Think on that).

-Add to that the #9 pick (Anderson/Saric/Stauskas/Hezonja/Aaron Gordon)

We're better off than we think, playas. We're pretty blatantly tanking our season away, and honestly with no Horford I'm ok with it. We're not upsetting anybody without him.

The biggest negative I see is Lou Williams is on the team. At least he seems a chill dude, and hopefully he'll have recovered from his ACL injury.

The biggest negative I see is Lou Williams is on the team. At least he seems a chill dude, and hopefully he'll have recovered from his ACL injury.

Hopefully he'll be gone.

Hopefully he'll be gone.

Why would we get rid of him? Good player before the injury on a good contract. Would you rather have Shelvin Mack here instead of Lou? Of course he's having a bad year due to the ACL injury, who wouldn't?? An injury like that is purely mental and its hard for a player to trust his knees afterwards. Lou will be fine next season, he has to learn how to play his game within Buds system. Its difficult to go from a Six Man mentality to a 'moving part' within a system.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by willthepureshooter

Why would we get rid of him? Good player before the injury on a good contract. Would you rather have Shelvin Mack here instead of Lou? Of course he's having a bad year due to the ACL injury, who wouldn't?? An injury like that is purely mental and its hard for a player to trust his knees afterwards. Lou will be fine next season, he has to learn how to play his game within Buds system. Its difficult to go from a Six Man mentality to a 'moving part' within a system.

Plays zero defense and will never fit the system. Why do you think he's been playing so much lately? He's been great for the tank effort...

Ferry and DeMarre getting ripped in the media for their quotes disregarding this year in favor of getting better for the future (translation: getting a high pick). Y'all happy?

So what? If they get the 7th or 8th seed, the media is just going to ignore the team or downplay them. They probably would have Jon Barry broadcast the games.

• Like 1

Even when he is healthy he is just Jamal Crawford lite.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I didn't see what DeMarre said but I think everyone can see that this team is limping to the finish line. Take the draft picks out of the picture and the playoffs against the Heat would still be ugly. I didn't feel this way even a month or two ago but we can't seem to beat anyone but the sixers at this point. I'm good either way.

• Moderators

Dwyer's article is actually pretty good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/atlanta-gm-danny-ferry-may-have-misspoken-in-pointing-out-that-the-eighth-playoff-seed-is-not-his-team-s--goal-205323917.html

The foundation for that ceiling isn’t in place yet, but at least the Hawks aren’t maxed out and still well short of elite, as was the case during the Joe Johnson and Josh Smith eras.
  • Like 1

Absodamlutely.

BK chose the "total rebuild" approach...and milked it for a lot of checks.

...but let's be honest. The problem with BK's approach was not his actual approach...it was his inability to judge talent. If he had taken Chris Paul over Marvin and done even a "bit" better on other stuff we would be contenders right now.

It's kind of like asking which is the better defense in football...the 3-4...or the 4-3...it really doesn't matter if you have the right guys in charge who can get the right talent. If not....

BK's plan had the potential of being something special but he simply chose the wrong players Chris Paul, Iggy, Joe, Josh, that's really good considering you have a guy in Paul that people want to play with, Chris Paul could have truly changed the franchise. Without Joe and Bibby whom BK got too we would have never had this good run of playoffs success we are currently on.

• Like 2

BK's plan had the potential of being something special but he simply chose the wrong players Chris Paul, Iggy, Joe, Josh, that's really good considering you have a guy in Paul that people want to play with, Chris Paul could have truly changed the franchise. Without Joe and Bibby whom BK got too we would have never had this good run of playoffs success we are currently on.

I'm not sour on us missing out on CP3 on the court, of course he would've been a huge asset to deal with in making a franchise-changing transaction. I think all the people who had doubts about his durability were right. If they meet a healthy GS team in the first round Wardell The II is gonna trash him and he'll finally get the criticism he's deserved for his teams coming up short so often. It's not gonna be directed at Doc because he's decorated and Griffin will easily average 23-10. Edited by benhillboy

I know I sound like the eternal optimist (and I'm generally impressed with Ferry, didn't really like the Bebe pick at the time but whatevs), but we're essentially adding a #9 pick (small shot at getting a higher pick) to a 3 seed squad. I can live with that.

-Horford, Millsap, Korver, Teague?/Carroll? for vets leading us to the playoffs

-Shredder, Scott and Moose developing on the bench

-Very talented coach

-Small chunk of cap space, and we've seen Ferry find difference makers for cheap (We'll have about the same amount of cap we used to sign Millsap. Think on that).

-Add to that the #9 pick (Anderson/Saric/Stauskas/Hezonja/Aaron Gordon)

We're better off than we think, playas. We're pretty blatantly tanking our season away, and honestly with no Horford I'm ok with it. We're not upsetting anybody without him.

This is not a 3rd seed squad.

With all of the complaining about injuries this year, the Bulls and Nets were pretty much decimated by injuries in the early part of the year. Even the Bobcats played without Jefferson in the first part of the year, and he really didn't get healthy until around mid December.

We were healthy and we still were only 3 games above .500 when Horford went down.

And the only way we add a #9 pick is if we basically lose all of our games, and the teams that are with us, pass us.

Better go look at the schedules of Denver, New Orleans, NY Knicks, and Atlanta . . . then tell me which team has the weakest schedule.

Most everybody thought that this year's version of the Hawks would be a 6th - 8th seed this year, even when healthy. Only a few people had this team winning more than 42 games.

If you want Dennis to truly develop, Lou has to go. It's the same scenario that Jeff Teague was in, when Jamal Crawford was here. As long as Jamal was here, a coach would not give complete control of a team to Teague, if he were playing with Jamal. The same goes for Dennis and Lou. Lou needs the ball in his hands, to be effective. If the ball is in Lou's hands, it is out of Dennis' hands.

Move Lou, get a LEGIT 2-way SG, and give Dennis complete control of the 2nd team. We really need to see if this guy can do it, in order to see if he could be the future PG of this team. If he can't, cut your losses sooner than later, and get an upgrade at the PG position.