• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I noticed that Teague is no longer the whipping boy around here?

Diesel

He and Millsap both were allstar considerations.

His shooting is at 43.3% for the season.

To put it in perspective, the great Damon Lillard is only shooting 42.5% from the field. With less assists than Teague. Therefore, Teague is a better PG than Lillard.

Teague shot 41% for the first half of the season. He has played better recently, but that does not erase his erratic play the first half of the season.

So...

Teague shoots 43% Lillard shoots 42%. Teague drops 6.8 dimes. Lillard 5.5...

Then here you come... "Wait wait wait... Lillard shot more three pointers. He shot more three pointers. If he hadn't done that, he'd be better than Teague. He's better than Teague because of his advanced super accurate FG%."

To that I said... Smoove must love you!!! You can explain away his FG% with advanced super duper accurate FG% rates. To all that... I say.. Why not just stop shooting bone headed shots. We actually consider a stat that erases the effects of bad decisions? OK.

42.5 rounds up to 43%. 43.3 rounds down to 43%. You fail at simple math skills.

Shooting a 3 pointer is not a bad decision......if you can make them.

The reason why Jeffrey does not take them.....is because he can't make them.

Despite refusing to make "bad decisions" he's still barely outproducing someone who has taken 55% of Jeffrey's entire shot volume in just 3s alone....

And you think this is a victory....

Take a moment to rest your carpal tunnel syndrome from filling out all of those Teague All Star ballots and do some sums, maybe even learn the multiplication table.

• Moderators

So...

Teague shoots 43% Lillard shoots 42%. Teague drops 6.8 dimes. Lillard 5.5...

Then here you come... "Wait wait wait... Lillard shot more three pointers. He shot more three pointers. If he hadn't done that, he'd be better than Teague. He's better than Teague because of his advanced super accurate FG%."

To that I said... Smoove must love you!!! You can explain away his FG% with advanced super duper accurate FG% rates. To all that... I say.. Why not just stop shooting bone headed shots. We actually consider a stat that erases the effects of bad decisions? OK.

Smoove SUCKS under TS% - it doesn't explain away anything, it shines a spotlight on it. He sucks badly because he doesn't shoot well from 2pt range, 3pt range or the FT line.

Josh Smith's TS% this season is .463. That is beyond horrific. Go beyond this season and his .499 and .501 TS%'s the last two years are terrible - much worse than his simple FG%. So rather than "explain away his FG% with advanced super duper accurate FG% rates" his TS% actually exposes his poor shooting.

I don't get why TS% is considered remotely complicated. If you hit 50% of your 2pt FGs on 20 attempts you generate 20 points. If you hit 40% of your 3pt FGs on 20 attempts, you generate 24 points. 24 points > 20 points. What is hard about this? Drawing FTs and hitting a high % is good. Is that complicated? No. TS% is a very useful, very easy to understand statistic. It is similar to how OPS relates to Batting Avg in baseball. Is a home run better than a single? Yes. Should you use a number that values them as equal instead of a number that more closely reflects the difference? No. Batting average treats a home run as the same as a single in the same way that FG% treats a 2 as the same as a 3. For the same reason that OPS gives you an easy to understand number that tells you much more about a player's offensive ability in baseball, TS% tells you much more than FG% in basketball. It is not complicated and it absolutely eviscerates Josh Smith offensively. Suggesting that TS% somehow gives Josh a free pass because of its advanced mumbo jumbo just reveals a staggering lack of understanding of the numbers.

The type of misrepresentation you are talking about is best seen in a single number:

PPG

That is the number that makes Josh look competent offensively. Not TS%.

Edited by AHF

Jeff basically took the night off tonight...getting ready for the Celtics. No need to drive to the hoop against a quality inside defensive team.

What?? Teague 15pts 5/9fg 9asts 2to and you say he took the night off! What does this kid have to do in order for you to stop the pointless hating? Its becoming quite tasteless..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Jeff basically took the night off tonight...getting ready for the Celtics. No need to drive to the hoop against a quality inside defensive team.

There are other players who deserve more blame for this loss. Teague is not a superstar, but he doesn't exactly have much to work with.
  • Like 3

• Moderators

What?? Teague 15pts 5/9fg 9asts 2to and you say he took the night off! What does this kid have to do in order for you to stop the pointless hating? Its becoming quite tasteless..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

He was just fine that game. I'm not sure why that one would be a source of criticism - it was well above average for him and solid to good numbers for all but the elite PGs.

• Premium Member

He was just fine that game. I'm not sure why that one would be a source of criticism - it was well above average for him and solid to good numbers for all but the elite PGs.

Seeing that there's only one PG in the whole land averaging over 8.8 assists per game... When you talk about elite PGs... do you mean him?

• Moderators

Seeing that there's only one PG in the whole land averaging over 8.8 assists per game... When you talk about elite PGs... do you mean him?

I mean 15 points isn't astonishing but solid. That is below Teague's average but a step up in efficiency so it is all good.

• Premium Member

42.5 rounds up to 43%. 43.3 rounds down to 43%. You fail at simple math skills.

Despite refusing to make "bad decisions" he's still barely outproducing someone who has taken 55% of Jeffrey's entire shot volume in just 3s alone....

And you think this is a victory....

Take a moment to rest your carpal tunnel syndrome from filling out all of those Teague All Star ballots and do some sums, maybe even learn the multiplication table.

Yeah... Simple math also say that Both 6.8, 5.5, 8.8, and 10.7 round closest to 10.... So I guess everybody is on par with Chris Paul!!!

You entered in on this Lillard part of the conversation by saying that his FG% is low because he takes 331 three pointers... right??

However, you're trying to suggest that Teague (Jeffrey) is wrong for not taking the shots that he know he won't make??

WOW!!!!

Yeah... Simple math also say that Both 6.8, 5.5, 8.8, and 10.7 round closest to 10.... So I guess everybody is on par with Chris Paul!!!

You entered in on this Lillard part of the conversation by saying that his FG% is low because he takes 331 three pointers... right??

However, you're trying to suggest that Teague (Jeffrey) is wrong for not taking the shots that he know he won't make??

WOW!!!!

You round to the nearest whole number in simple math.....I'm guessing social promotion was still a thing back when you went to school.

I suggested that despite NOT taking a high volume of lower percentage shots that Jeffrey's FG% is still on par with someone who DOES take a high volume of lower percentage shots.

• Moderators

This is simple. Teague cannot be criticized for his shot selection for not taking more 3's when he is only hitting 32% of them.

Everyone should acknowledge that Lillard is the better scorer both in volume and efficiency.

Anyone disagree?

• Moderators

And it's not like the 3 pointers Teague is attempting are Jordan Crawford hail mary's. He only shoots threes WHEN HE IS OPEN. Most of the time, he attacks the hoop.

Can't we all just get along? LOL!!!

Isn't that the point of a sports forum though? To debate topics related to a centralized subject? A forum where everyone got along would be boring as mud. to_pick_ones_nose.gif

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think what's been proven here is that the topic of this thread is dead wrong.

I won't hesitate to give my $.02 but at the end of the day I am saying he is a middle of the pack pg. I don't think that makes him a whipping boy, rather I think the notion that he is a top pg is blowing smoke. He needs to take another big step or two in his development to hit that point.

Personally, I think discussion of his game has been overshadowed by the playoff/lottery race lately. Nothing had directionally changed on his season since a few weeks ago.

I won't hesitate to give my $.02 but at the end of the day I am saying he is a middle of the pack pg. I don't think that makes him a whipping boy, rather I think the notion that he is a top pg is blowing smoke. He needs to take another big step or two in his development to hit that point.

Personally, I think discussion of his game has been overshadowed by the playoff/lottery race lately. Nothing had directionally changed on his season since a few weeks ago.

That's what the Teague lovers refuse to admit is that he's a middle of the pack PG getting paid too much. I showed that in another thread how he under performs for his salary group but of course that's too advanced for some on here to consider.

You either think Teague is a middle of the pack PG or he's one of the best PG's in the league. One is a sane and rational position to take and the other is just homerism.

It is funny that you have to wait a month for Jeff to break out of his bad streaks before his fan club starts praising his name again after a good week or two...

Edited by ViperXX79