• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Lance Stephenson Mega Thread

GameTime

With Al, Sap, and Teague still on this team, I'm not so sure it would be "his" team. I think you guys are overreacting about that a bit. If defenses concentrate on him too much, we will destroy them in other areas.

I meant will he "THINK" he is and not fill/play his role.

At $10M+ per season, I would expect him to be more than the role player he is in Indiana. If Indiana lets him go, it is because they don't value production from that role as much as his salary would cost them. It he isn't worth it for the Pacers, is he worth it for the Hawks?

From your comment, I wonder if we aren't better off trying to acquire Afllalo from Orlando than paying say 4 years and $44 million.

There is a pecking order in Indy, he is behind PG, Hibbert and West. Where would you see him in the pecking order with Teague, Al and Sap?

He's nowhere close to the level of Harden but he is very comparable to Joe in both production and role for his team at nearly the same respective points in their careers. If we thought Joe was worth a max, a prospect, two 1sts and a fractured ownership then Lance at 10 million would be a steal.

• Moderators

There is a pecking order in Indy, he is behind PG, Hibbert and West. Where would you see him in the pecking order with Teague, Al and Sap?

With his aggression, he would be the #1 backcourt option and might see himself as the top overall option. For me, I have a hard time seeing his offensive production being as good as Horford (if healthy) or Sap so #3 overall but recognizing that Sap and Horford overlap a lot so that could mean he ends up as the #2 option. Given that none of those guys are huge stars or big volume scorers, he could also see himself as the #1 option.

With his aggression, he would be the #1 backcourt option and might see himself as the top overall option. For me, I have a hard time seeing his offensive production being as good as Horford (if healthy) or Sap so #3 overall but recognizing that Sap and Horford overlap a lot so that could mean he ends up as the #2 option. Given that none of those guys are huge stars or big volume scorers, he could also see himself as the #1 option.

Agreed. I see him as a piece, a very good piece at an area of need to the overall puzzle.

He is not a player you build and tailor your team around though.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

It could turn into JJ part 2. Indy won't want to let him go for nothing. I think they'll either deal West or try to do a sign and trade with Lance. That might make it less attractive. I certainly would have concerns about signing him, but have to realize he would be an instant upgrade and is young. I'd go for it and hope you can trade him in a year or two if it's just working as you hope. Hard to turn down talent upgrades when they become available just because it isn't an absolutely perfect fit.

A Bleacher Report came out not too long ago about what every team needs to do first in the offseason. We were one of the few who featured a player not on our team: they figured we should go after Ariza. Him, Lance, and Afflalo will all get a good look.

Edited by benhillboy

'10-'11 .333 .786 12.9 6.3 7.3 41.0 25.6 19.5 23.0 8.7 5.57 '

11-'12 .376 .471 9.6 4.8 4.2 40.0 21.4 16.8 16.7 6.7 7.07

'12-'13 .460 .652 12.1 5.3 3.9 53.0 22.7 11.1 14.9 7.4 11.85 '

13-'14 .491 .711 15.7 8.1 5.2 56.4 23.5 13.8 19.0 11.4 14.73

He's #5 in NBA Efficiency at SG

Only Harden, Wade, DeRozan, and Monta Ellis are ahead of him.

40th overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. But, we can't make a significant addition at #15? Unless he comes cheap I say no. I was guys to grow under this regime. Stephenson has some habits already formed from watching the guys around him. And that whole I want my own team attitude smells too much like J Smoove.

• Like 3

At $10M+ per season, I would expect him to be more than the role player he is in Indiana. If Indiana lets him go, it is because they don't value production from that role as much as his salary would cost them. It he isn't worth it for the Pacers, is he worth it for the Hawks?

From your comment, I wonder if we aren't better off trying to acquire Afllalo from Orlando than paying say 4 years and $44 million.

I like Afflalo a lot actually. He would be a great get. Not quite the same fire in his belly as Lance though. But that could be seen as an advantage if you consider him being more level headed.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It could turn into JJ part 2. Indy won't want to let him go for nothing. I think they'll either deal West or try to do a sign and trade with Lance. That might make it less attractive. I certainly would have concerns about signing him, but have to realize he would be an instant upgrade and is young. I'd go for it and hope you can trade him in a year or two if it's just working as you hope. Hard to turn down talent upgrades when they become available just because it isn't an absolutely perfect fit.

One big difference here that your post doesn't reflect:

JJ was a restricted free agent who Phoenix could match and therefore they could force a trade by threatening to match.

LS is an unrestricted free agent who Indiana can't match.

Had JJ been in the position that Lance is, we would not have given up anything for JJ.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I like Afflalo a lot actually. He would be a great get. Not quite the same fire in his belly as Lance though. But that could be seen as an advantage if you consider him being more level headed.

I'd take either Afflalo or Lance... Ariza a distant third option.

• Like 1

I'd take either Afflalo or Lance... Ariza a distant third option.

I'd go Afflalo, Ariza then Lance....for the price. Lance is gonna get paid and I don't want to pay him.

• Premium Member

Not a fan.

We agree on this. I also think this guy is going to get a bad deal from someone that two years into that team will be trying to offload on to another team. Guy is not a good shooter, he has a questionable maturity level and I just don't want any part of it.

Hawk fans love to talk themselves out of liking good players. Sounds like the Al Jefferson convos of last year.

Stephenson is on the verge of becoming a damn good player. Possibly Scottie Pippin lite.

I don't know what or who he'll become but can we really be in the business of turning away up and coming talent on the rise if the price is right and they are interested in joining the team.

Like I said previously we won't build the team around but his skill is exactly what this team needs.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

This guy shooting 49% , you guys make it sound like he tossing bricks and missing layups. Lance is a walking triple double with a massive potential in a more of a key role on a team. He is only 23 years old. No superstar is going to magically want to come to Atlanta. You have to take a chance on guys like these.

• Like 2

The concensus is we can't attract the top free agents, so why not take a chance on a 23 year old with some potential to fill a need?

I will readily admit I was wrong on James Harden and he could do as the leading man but even he still has his flaws- His defense is atrocious.

My concern with his attitude us still there but not so much to turn him away if he was interested.

Edited by JayBirdHawk