Why is everyone writing off Lou Williams?

HawkItus

Before the injury Lou was good for this team. I dare say had he not have gotten hurt the season would have played out much different for us. And if we got that Lou this year we would have been a higher seed. Once he has another summer to recover I don't know why he can't be an asset again.

Because he's really not a fit for this style of offense. I'm not ready to say Lou is done because I actually believe he can get back to 6th man of the year status next year possibly but I would rather move him and free up that cap space for an upgrade at starter.

• Like 2

Yep. he wasn't that good before he got hurt either.

6th man of the year... ring a bell??

People forget that it takes 12-18 months or more to get back to your form from before knee surgery. Yeah he could play on it this year but he had to learn to trust it and to re-build the muscle memory and strength in it.

• Like 3

I'm hoping for Lou Will to get back to his old self this season but he still has major flaws in his game if he does. He would definitely help us with off-the-bench scoring and provide us with a second guard that can create his own shot, but he is useless on defense. He holds on to the ball far too long on offense as well.

• Premium Member

I never hold a guy's first year back from ACL because everyone knows it takes at least two years to get back to what you were before the injury. And even then the player is never the same because the knee itself is not the same anymore.

6th man of the year... ring a bell??

People forget that it takes 12-18 months or more to get back to your form from before knee surgery. Yeah he could play on it this year but he had to learn to trust it and to re-build the muscle memory and strength in it.

He is one trick pony... And one that shoots in the low 40's or high 30's... I don't think he is that special at all.

He's a good 6th man, he just flat out don't fit our system. 

I agree with this.

Watching him later in the year and the playoffs you could tell he could still play but the offense came to a screeching halt with him on the floor. He has the talent and will probably get his explosiveness all the way back next season. I think it is time to cut bait and trade him to a team that needs a six man to put up points as a solo act.

I'm hoping for Lou Will to get back to his old self this season but he still has major flaws in his game if he does.  He would definitely help us with off-the-bench scoring and provide us with a second guard that can create his own shot, but he is useless on defense.  He holds on to the ball far too long on offense as well.

Agree. Pop said over and over in the finals "the ball doesn't stick". He kills the offense when he does that

• Moderators

Because he's really not a fit for this style of offense. I'm not ready to say Lou is done because I actually believe he can get back to 6th man of the year status next year possibly but I would rather move him and free up that cap space for an upgrade at starter.

This, exactly, 100%.  QFT.

Because he is an undersized shooting guard. He is a terrible defender and when he is in there we have an undersized backcourt and it's the advantage to the opposing teams shooting guard. Also, he takes bad shots

He is not all that explosive as a scorer to be honest. Crawford was a threat to go for 30 on any given night. Lou has more weaknesses than he does strong points.

He was contributing nicely before the injury. He had signed with us for a very nice deal and played well. Size is a big issue on D. Doesn't fit Hawks ball movement style. Over $5M expiring that should have value to some teams as a 6th man. Showed better towards the end of the season and playoff. Should trade him

I was a Lou supporter but he killed me by Spring. His game uses little to no athleticism so the injury excuse doesn't fly with me. All he had to do here is move off the ball, hit open mid range shots, and at least try to defend. Instead he pounded the ball, drove into traffic, and took KK-distanced threes. I think all the DNP-CDs he got was the writing on the wall, although I can't understand for the life of me why Bud had him in at crucial moments in the playoffs over Mack. If he and Antić both had an 18-20 point performance, which wasnt too much to ask, we'd been in the Con. Finals.

Edited by benhillboy

Well he only played one(off injury) year in Buds offense.  This without the benefit of the Summer to work at it.  He's not an essential piece, so if he gets traded for something better great.  But, we shouldn't just give him away.