• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are we going to do with Salmons?

Diesel

This whole things is strange to me.  I thought we were getting a net saving of like 7 million if we waived John Salmons.  Like that money would increase our cap room?  Now we are saving 1 million or something.

I guess it will be clear once it's officially announced.  

• Premium Member

I have a question. I'm sorry if it has already been asked but I'm curious how extending the waiver deadline helps Salmons. I keep hearing he would have to agree with it but my understanding is he would just be waiting to go to another team and then be waived. Financially he gets the same money. If he refuses it, he can then start negotiating his next job before all the money is gone from other teams. I must be looking at this wrong.

My opinion is that Salmons is done.  Maybe he has a place waiting for him like SacTown but the truth is that his game was mostly athleticism and he doesn't really have that anymore.

• Premium Member

This whole things is strange to me.  I thought we were getting a net saving of like 7 million if we waived John Salmons.  Like that money would increase our cap room?  Now we are saving 1 million or something.

Salmons gets a 1 Million dollar payoff if he's waived.  So his 7 Million dollar contract is worth 6 million to our cap if we waive him.  Had we traded him for anything, we would have not had to pay that 1 Million dollars.  That's why we wanted to extend his waive period.  We wanted to work out a deal to trade him.  For Salmons, it doesn't matter... He's not going to be the top requested free agent so him coming out on today doesn't hurt him.  He will fill out somebody's roster as a cheap player and still get one million dollars from us.

• Premium Member

I wonder if this is factual or Viv speculation based on today being the 10th.  I tend to lean more towards this is speculation and it's not based on any inside knowledge.

If it's speculation, it's good speculation.

Why would Salmons sign another waiver extension?  He's not retired yet.  I think he did it because he didn't lose anythng waiting until today to be waive?  However, teams spend up money starting today.

No Diesel is confusing people with that initial post.

We waive Salmons and it takes 6 million off the books as we have to cover 1 million of it.

We trade Salmons and it takes 7 million off the books, but we'd add back whatever salary we took in from another player.

We do nothing and keep Salmons and he's taking up 7 million on the books.

I have a question. I'm sorry if it has already been asked but I'm curious how extending the waiver deadline helps Salmons. I keep hearing he would have to agree with it but my understanding is he would just be waiting to go to another team and then be waived. Financially he gets the same money. If he refuses it, he can then start negotiating his next job before all the money is gone from other teams. I must be looking at this wrong.

The longer he's on a team the longer he's got a guaranteed salary. Plus he's got a chance to be traded to a team who might not cut him. 

If it's speculation, it's good speculation.

Why would Salmons sign another waiver extension?  He's not retired yet.  I think he did it because he didn't lose anythng waiting until today to be waive?  However, teams spend up money starting today.

Spending has barely even started. There's no harm to him having it extended again. 

• Like 1

What people need to remember about the start of the season is that we were playing a bottom 5 strength of schedule before Horford went down.

Honestly, we should've been more like 19 - 10 when Horford went down, with the schedule we were playing.

Another thing people need to remember is that Miami was something like 9-8 in the first few weeks of the big three era (and this was without a new coach, without a new system). The notion that we could not have improved on a 16-13 start is ridiculous.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The interesting thing is that 2 years ago, Salmons would have been the guy we would have wanted for our SF slot right now.   I don't know how bad his game has really declined, but if he had been waived by Toronto and the trade never happened, he might have been our third call after Deng & Ariza.

So Ferry basically did not get a trade done and now his waiving on the 10th day. 

No... he can still extend Salmons and not have to waive him today. I'm gonna Tweet CViv and try and get clarification here on if that's based on real knowledge or the arbitrary deadline that this was extended to.

• Premium Member

So Ferry basically did not get a trade done and now his waiving on the 10th day. 

Today is the waiving day because today is the start of signing FAs (for real).  I believe that Salmons would not have signed another waiver because he wants his name out there today.  Dol believes that Salmons would have gone for another waiver because "Spending has barely even started."

The interesting thing is that 2 years ago, Salmons would have been the guy we would have wanted for our SF slot right now.   I don't know how bad his game has really declined, but if he had been waived by Toronto and the trade never happened, he might have been our third call after Deng & Ariza.

Salmons has been trash ever since that Bucks playoff series against us years ago. 2010 was literally his last decent year.  He's been in the league 11 years now and he's gonna be 35 early in the season so he's wayyy past done.

Today is the waiving day because today is the start of signing FAs (for real).  I believe that Salmons would not have signed another waiver because he wants his name out there today.  Dol believes that Salmons would have gone for another waiver because "Spending has barely even started."

Tell me Diesel, are all the free agents signed and are all the teams out of money? Hell no not even close. So yeah, spending has barely even started. 

I was thinking maybe since the Cleveland deal didn't go down he was just waiving him now

He might just waive him. And from the sounds of the Viv bomb that's what he's doing. I'm hoping Viv will respond and let us know for sure.

• Moderators

Should be getting some action today guys. locomotive.gif

Another thing people need to remember is that Miami was something like 9-8 in the first few weeks of the big three era (and this was without a new coach, without a new system). The notion that we could not have improved on a 16-13 start is ridiculous.

Sorry, but this team is not all that talented. It wouldn't win but 30 games out west.