• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dominique Wilkins does not deserve a statue!

Wurider05

Giving him a stake in ownership, VP of Basketball, and hire him as the color analyst on TV is telling him to go f*** himself?

As someone has mentioned before, giving a statue to a living person is a strange thing to do. And the more I think about this, it almost gets me to care enough about the issue. But I don't, it's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

Usually I would agree, but this is the Hawks. How many franchises have a lower reputation at this point?

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Best player in Atlanta Hawks history. Statue being placed in front of Atlanta basketball arena. If not Nique than who? Only other person I could think of is Angel from the dream in like 10 years if she keeps up her pace.

nique's stats were incredible for years. 12th all time scoring.  if he hadn't played those two years in europe, he'd be in line with shaq.  one of the most talented athletes from washington, nc.

Problem with having a statue of someone who's alive is they might do something bad.  I wonder if there is an OJ Simpson statue anywhere?  And wasn't there one for Joe Paterno?  Of course, sometimes you don't find out things about people until after they are dead, so it probably doesn't matter.  I'd take my chances on this one. 

A statue is not about a number of rings or being an all time great. Nothing to be compared to others who got a statue somewhere else.

It's only about the value someone has or had for the organization who honors him that way.

For me the TO shows something what may be a American stereotype: Only winning matters. Not hard work or effort. Only winners deserve to be remembered. I really hate this “rings” debate when great players are compared…

A statue is not about a number of rings or being an all time great. Nothing to be compared to others who got a statue somewhere else.

It's only about the value someone has or had for the organization who honors him that way.

For me the TO shows something what may be a American stereotype: Only winning matters. Not hard work or effort. Only winners deserve to be remembered. I really hate this “rings” debate when great players are compared…

Amen. Teams win sb's not individual players or qb's.  Ben Rothlisburger has the worst sb qb rating in nfl history but the refs gave him that Seattle game. Joe Montana seems to automatically chosen as the best ever because he has 4 rings but Young who was worthless on Tampa got a ring with that 49er group. Joe is one of the best ever of that theres no doubt but saying oh he has to be the best because he has 4 rings is inbred. Hell he was benched quite a few times in the prime of his career. Teams win the sb, not qbs. The nfl hall of fame puts way too much weight on the fact that a guy was lucky enough to be drafted by a dallas or a pittsburg and not a tampa or an oiler.

• Moderators

So clearly you didn't look down the page at their rankings as Ruth was easily #1.

Nothing Bonds did counts. He wasn't close to the same hitter pre-PEDs.

It's my opinion that Williams is the best "hitter" (which is what the statement above mine was about) but that list has him 3rd.

Yeah I'm down with Williams and to take 3 years off and serve in the military in the prime of your career only to come back and win a bunch of mvps.  That's impressive.   I'd never discount Ruth and Cobb but it's a different era, different game, different pitching and frankly a large percentage of the best players in the country weren't allowed to play in the MLB with them.   Still I think Aaron is the best hitter of the last 50 years for sure.   And certainly deserves more recognition from this city than he gets.   We will never see another Aaron.

What I take from that brief interview is that Nique wants to align with Atlanta ownership ... which means that Gearon may not be going anywhere.

While all of us believe that Gearon should be gone, the fan base may have to accept the fact that he may survive all of this. He has the support of the city leaders, and possibly Dominique himself.

Problem with having a statue of someone who's alive is they might do something bad.  I wonder if there is an OJ Simpson statue anywhere?  And wasn't there one for Joe Paterno?  Of course, sometimes you don't find out things about people until after they are dead, so it probably doesn't matter.  I'd take my chances on this one. 

you could always just change the head to someone else.

• Like 1