• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Steve Koonin

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Call Phil.  Tell him to talk to Melo and Lala, to see if they'd like to come to ATL for a couple of years.

If so, see which big and PG Phil wants.

Any big + Teague

or

Any big + Dennis + Splitter ( to make the deal work )

You'll add a scorer + still have the flexibility to add a player in free agency ... or re-sign Baze.

Melo is the most overrated high profile guy in the league. He's interested in money and not winning.

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But could the Hawks use a player with his skillset?

Not at the cost you are stating. Not even close. For Jeff and Splitter, yes. For more than that. They could keep him. They aren't trading him anyway, he doesn't want to leave New York.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But could the Hawks use a player with his skillset?

His skill set, yes....him, no. We would win about 32-40 games with him.

His skill set has always been remarkable but the issues of winning big time remain and he will continue to dwindle physically. We definitely could use a courageous closer but Melo has all the red flags flying. Selfish to a detriment so often (teammates standing and gawking) and he really is an aging damaged goods player at a premium price tag. Budball as irritating as it can be late in games wins more than we would with Melo and even if he helped in the short term (very short term) some future assets will be forfeited. If he helped us gain a championship it would great but he just would never fit and we wouldn't achieve that goal. 

I'm not advocating for Melo, but I would like to remind folks he has won one National Championship as the "man." 

I know, I know, different than NBA, but I think it does count for something. He was capable once to handle that responsibility, but whether he's still mentally and physically capable is another story.

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Not at the cost you are stating. Not even close. For Jeff and Splitter, yes. For more than that. They could keep him. They aren't trading him anyway, he doesn't want to leave New York.

At the cost?  The cost of what?  What do we have to lose?

100% of the fan base believe that the Hawks, as currently constructed, can't win a title ... or get past Cleveland.  So what is it will we lose?

This team was 0 - 13 in final possessions to end a game or OT.  Some of those last possessions were straight up comical.

So do we stand pay, and hope everyone gets it?  Do we tweak and just add a journeyman wing or big?  What do we do?

( switching to Rick Pitino mode )

Dominique Wilkins isn't walking through that door, fans.  Bob Petit isn't walking through that door, and Dikembe Mutombo isn't walking through that door.  

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

His skill set has always been remarkable but the issues of winning big time remain and he will continue to dwindle physically. We definitely could use a courageous closer but Melo has all the red flags flying. Selfish to a detriment so often (teammates standing and gawking) and he really is an aging damaged goods player at a premium price tag. Budball as irritating as it can be late in games wins more than we would with Melo and even if he helped in the short term (very short term) some future assets will be forfeited. If he helped us gain a championship it would great but he just would never fit and we wouldn't achieve that goal. 

This January

On 5/20/2016 at 7:14 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Anybody heard Steve Koonin today on 92.9?

2 most important things I got from it:

- we are a good team, but going  against Cleveland we know what we aren't.

- Everything is on the table, that's not a threat to any player but it's the reality.

Awesome.  The Hawks really need to explore all options.

I'm sure we'll find some reason to complain about the direction they take, without ever knowing what options were in front of them.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, ATLSmith said:

Awesome.  The Hawks really need to explore all options.

I'm sure we'll find some reason to complain about the direction they take, without ever knowing what options were in front of them.

Sometimes they make it too easy.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

My note-scribbling. All things paraphrased, as usual:

Q: Jeff’s Insta-gate?

Puffy K: I think Jeff was a little frustrated... he had an injury, an issue, and he addressed it.

Q: What about Jeff’s insistence the team didn’t want anyone knowing about it?

Puffy K: I really don’t know, he played 79 games... Jeff’s a terrific guy, I hope he’s feeling better.

Q: Free-agent-frenzy?

Puffy K: It’s gonna be one of the most interesting offseasons... You could literally have the GSW signing a max player.

Q: How will you go after the top players?

Puffy K: I think we would use all of our assets (execs, staff, fans... high profile guys in the music biz). There’s no punch we won’t pull.

Q: The Finals?

Puffy K: I’ve learned from Bud, he has deep thoughts about our players, it’s not just about one game... Never seen such wild swings (re: point outcomes)... I think tonight’s probably THE game. Homecourt has mattered a lot in these playoffs. Cleveland, they came to play.

Q: Steph’s struggles?

Puffy K: If you switch Steph with LeBron, everybody’s killing LeBron. That’s probably because Steph is more lovable... Over 5,000 people came here hours before game to watch him warm up. That’s a phenomenon.

Q: Refs beef about L2MRs?

Puffy K: I couldn’t imagine somebody releasing all the mistakes I’ve made in a day. That said, I love that Adam Silver wants the league to be more transparent and accountable to the fans.

~lw3

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone catch Steve Koonin interview today? I missed it (please post info if avail)

Only 2 things I heard during radio spot updates:

1. We are not hamstrung by money to pay players like previously

2. We are a good team, we are NOT a championship team, so the plan is figuring out how to get there.

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Anyone catch Steve Koonin interview today? I missed it (please post info if avail)

2. We are a good team, we are NOT a championship team, so the plan is figuring out how to get there.

Not much more

Hawks have contingencies for multiple scenarios

Resler is willing to pay luxury tax

Koonen is on way to New York tomorrow, read into that what you will

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

Not much more

Hawks have contingencies for multiple scenarios

Resler is willing to pay luxury tax

Koonen is on way to New York tomorrow, read into that what you will

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Currently on 92.9 The Game.

dropping dimes.  my dang radio is messing up now.  recap please JB.

what I did hear...

Al was seeking something that wasn't available.  Was excited about the four.  Listened to fans on not giving him the full max.  

Milsap would have played the 3.  No trade discussion

• Like 1