• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Steve Koonin

You build something from the ground up for 9 years and just when you can have a top 3 frontcourt in the NBA you leave....

Honestly I thought Al was smarter than this and was about winning. I can see if he bolted to play with Durant in OKC but to team with our rival who we just beat...smh

18 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

dropping dimes.  my dang radio is messing up now.  recap please JB.

what I did hear...

Al was seeking something that wasn't available.  Was excited about the four.  Listened to fans on not giving him the full max.  

Milsap would have played the 3.  No trade discussion

Al was excited about playing PF? Thank God Al didn't resigned, Millsap is not a SF.

This is interesting thanks for posting. It makes me not believe that the Hawks and Horford were only $5M over 5 years apart. That seems like such a small, negligible difference when talking about having a front court rotation of Millsap, Howard and Horford. I wonder if Horford was negotiating for a No-Trade clause. I could understand Budcox saying no to that no matter what, but I just can't understand the $5M over 5 years being the main culprit.

50 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

They asked Koonin what happened with Whorefart. Koonin basically said when you offer somebody $135M dollars and that ain't enough? He didn't finish his thought, but it was basically an on air <shrug>, and the hosts started giggling. Koonin said it with a little attitude in his voice too, like he was annoyed by it.

He then said something along the lines of if that wasn't enough to make him happy, then he was obviously after something else - something that we couldn't offer here. He said they appreciated Al, and never intended any disprespect, but they had a number in mind in order to field a competitive roster, and they thought they offered a more than fair contract to him.

He also said that we could have had an amazing frontcourt of Millsap, Whorefart, and Dwight, which is when one of the hosts jumped in and asked if Koonin knew exactly what he was saying, Koonin said he chose his words very carefully, knew exactly what he was saying. The hosts asked if Millsap was on the trade block or not during that time. Koonin didn't come out and say no, but he said they envisioned a front line of those three and everything everyone heard during that time was just rumors, and nothing more. So it seemed crystal clear that Koonin was suggesting that Millsap was NEVER on the trade block, and we wanted to keep all 3 of them - but Alecia nixed that plan by being a bitch.

He also made it a point to talk about Dennis now has the keys to the car and was very high on his future. He talked about his incredible athleticism, Baze's incredible athleticism, and Howard's incredible athleticism. He said Bud would kill him for saying this, but he thinks Dennis has Steph Curry potential EVENTUALLY. He said Curry at 22 wasn't the Curry we see today. I don't think he's suggesting that Dennis is going to develop into the same type of player as Steph, just that he has a very high ceiling and could one day develop into an MVP-type of player if he keeps trending upwards like he has the last few years. Of course he's not suggesting Dennis will be an identical player to Steph, so don't even go there with your criticisms. He meant a player that can have a similar impact on his team, but in a different way.

One last thing. Koonin said they think Dwight will actually INCREASE their spacing over Horford. The reason is that Dwight will have to be constantly defended, which will free up space and occupy a defender at all times - much like Korver does. He said they love the pick and roll potential and that it is the fuel to make this offense go.

There was a 2nd segment with him, but I didn't get to hear it. If anyone can offer a recap of that I would appreciate it.

That's EXACTLY how I heard it too, and loved every second of it. Especially the part where he basically said the lil' bitch wasn't a max player and they heard the fans screaming the same thing. I heard his comments about Dennis the same as you too. Thinking he may be slightly over stretching Shredder's potential , but that's his job. I don't think he'll ever be an MVP, but he'll definitely be a top 10 PG eventually. I missed the second segment too.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

Well I posted Koonin was on then had to take a phone call,smh - I missed most.

Koonin also said Bud took charge in the D12 meeting explaining how they plan to use him on offense. They want D12 to rebound and play defense, and he'll thrive in the PnR . Dwight wanted to be here, Baze wanted to be here.

Heard the same about Dennis and his potential -  I was like 'woah' lol.

Regarding the Millsap trade rumors, he said nobody (media) knew what they were doing so they were all speculating.

Unbelievable.  What could have been...  Oh well, time to follow plan B.

I'm not an expert scout to say the least, but I have to agree regarding Dennis.  For a young guy his game is on point.  His decision making will improve and if he can improve his shot, look out world.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Love hearing the goal was to keep all 3 and beast on the front line.  Can't control Horford bailing but that is the going big gamble (in every sense of the phrase).  Makes me have more confidence in the management team to see that they were planning to do this but for Al's desire to move on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Well I posted Koonin was on then had to take a phone call,smh - I missed most.

Koonin also said Bud took charge in the D12 meeting explaining how they plan to use him on offense. They want D12 to rebound and play defense, and he'll thrive in the PnR . Dwight wanted to be here, Baze wanted to be here.

Heard the same about Dennis and his potential -  I was like 'woah' lol.

I guess this confirms Hawks have no players in their FA meetings. It'd be nice if they did to give the team some identity since they do have one with Korver, Thabo, Dennis and Millsap.

Good to see that didn't affect Dwight's decision though. I see with GS having Steph, Klay, Iggy, Draymond played a big part in getting KD. Lol once again CP3 wasn't in a FA meeting (missed DeAndre's 1st meeting with LAC).

Edited by BigDog90

2 hours ago, hazer said:

That's EXACTLY how I heard it too, and loved every second of it. Especially the part where he basically said the lil' bitch wasn't a max player and they heard the fans screaming the same thing. I heard his comments about Dennis the same as you too. Thinking he may be slightly over stretching Shredder's potential , but that's his job. I don't think he'll ever be an MVP, but he'll definitely be a top 10 PG eventually. I missed the second segment too.

Yeah, Korver and Millsap took less, Al know the deal. I think Dennis could be an All-Star reserve one day.

3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

They asked Koonin what happened with Whorefart. Koonin basically said when you offer somebody $135M dollars and that ain't enough? He didn't finish his thought, but it was basically an on air <shrug>, and the hosts started giggling. Koonin said it with a little attitude in his voice too, like he was annoyed by it.

He then said something along the lines of if that wasn't enough to make him happy, then he was obviously after something else - something that we couldn't offer here. He said they appreciated Al, and never intended any disprespect, but they had a number in mind in order to field a competitive roster, and they thought they offered a more than fair contract to him.

He also said that we could have had an amazing frontcourt of Millsap, Whorefart, and Dwight, which is when one of the hosts jumped in and asked if Koonin knew exactly what he was saying, Koonin said he chose his words very carefully, knew exactly what he was saying. The hosts asked if Millsap was on the trade block or not during that time. Koonin didn't come out and say no, but he said they envisioned a front line of those three and everything everyone heard during that time was just rumors, and nothing more. So it seemed crystal clear that Koonin was suggesting that Millsap was NEVER on the trade block, and we wanted to keep all 3 of them - but Alecia nixed that plan by being a bitch.

He also made it a point to talk about Dennis now has the keys to the car and was very high on his future. He talked about his incredible athleticism, Baze's incredible athleticism, and Howard's incredible athleticism. He said Bud would kill him for saying this, but he thinks Dennis has Steph Curry potential EVENTUALLY. He said Curry at 22 wasn't the Curry we see today. I don't think he's suggesting that Dennis is going to develop into the same type of player as Steph, just that he has a very high ceiling and could one day develop into an MVP-type of player if he keeps trending upwards like he has the last few years. Of course he's not suggesting Dennis will be an identical player to Steph, so don't even go there with your criticisms. He meant a player that can have a similar impact on his team, but in a different way.

One last thing. Koonin said they think Dwight will actually INCREASE their spacing over Horford. The reason is that Dwight will have to be constantly defended, which will free up space and occupy a defender at all times - much like Korver does. He said they love the pick and roll potential and that it is the fuel to make this offense go.

There was a 2nd segment with him, but I didn't get to hear it. If anyone can offer a recap of that I would appreciate it.

Al should have took the deal but oh well. Good to see Koonin doing damage control on restoring Millsap's trade value. Yeah Dwight being back in the East is going to be huge. Should be a matchup problem against Vucevic, Monroe, etc.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Al should have took the deal but oh well. Good to see Koonin doing damage control on restoring Millsap's trade value. Yeah Dwight being back in the East is going to be huge. Should be a matchup problem against Vucevic, Monroe, etc.

Horford had a personal issue with Howard. Its that simple. The man had a chance to be a PF full time with us and make more money. Instead he bailed for Boston. I can see the rivalry from our match ups with D12 in Orlando; but still, this is the NBA and you move on.

Horford had a personal issue with Howard. Its that simple. The man had a chance to be a PF full time with us and make more money. Instead he bailed for Boston. I can see the rivalry from our match ups with D12 in Orlando; but still, this is the NBA and you move on.

Shouldn't that give him more reason to stay? He can't get abused by Howard if they're both on the same team.

• Like 1