Me Ball vs. Team Ball

MCVicious

Ferry and Bud have truly outdone themselves with the success of the team. I would go as far as to say if teams in smaller markets want to build a team without having a superstar they sure as hell are going to take particular note of how this team was built. 

To me there are two brands of basketball being played right now: 

1. Me Ball

2. Team Ball

The former is way more marketable and profitable and I think that is why you saw this shift in the way consumers were attracted to the NBA for a majority of Stern's tenure. There was a rush to 1.) Aquire/draft superstar(s) who monopolizes a majority of the teams stats 2.) Build around with players that complement him. In my opinion 90% of the league thinks this way. If you think about it what is the primary purpose of the All Star Game: to showcase the individual stars, further promoting the individual rather than the team. 

I think the latter is something real special: Basketball based on the fundamentals. For many that played basketball when they were younger probably enjoy watching the Hawks today because they frankly do not care who is scoring as long as the team wins, something I personally was taught growing up playing ball. This type of ball play is really played in Europe but in the NBA highlighted first by the 2003 Spurs (feat our very own Danny Ferry) and continued by the 2004 Pistons to an extent. 

I truly think that if the Hawks make it deep into the playoffs that we could start a potential shift in the way organizations approach team building. Can you imagine an NBA where the group is more important than the individual? What are your thoughts?

GO HAWKS!

• Like 2

I was thinking about the similarities to the early 2000s Pistons teams earlier tonight. Many nights they were nothing special on offense, but their defense was so stout nightly it would automatically carry them to a late free throw situation, where Billups (Kyle in our case) was always money.

The Bulls fans were treated as well as they could've been in a loss: Rose dazzled and they saw the NBA 's current Standard Bearers. Unbeknownst to them, they saw the Hawks' B-game on offense outside of the occassional Kyle outburst. But, the Top Defense in the league travels like a stewardess.

They allow "me ball" teams like Rose's to do their thing because in a 48 minute contest, the team whose players touch the ball more will always defend harder to get more touches. Bud realizes and preaches the power of the ball and how it's almost a 6th Man when the other 5 move it relentlessly to arrive at the highest percentage shot on offense and, in SVG's words, "build a f&@kin wall" around it to possess it on defense and continue the rhythmic cycle of kicking ass.

As brilliant and easy as that concept is to grasp, I hope other teams keep playing hero ball around an egotistical maniac who needs to hog the ball's power and a third of the payroll. It's the easiest attack for us to defeat, short and long term.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

I'm old, as everyone knows.  Back in my day, everyone was taught that basketball

was a team sport and should be played as a team.

Ask most any of the other posters here who have been around a while, not as long as me,

but older and they will probably tell you the same thing.

Salesmanship told the fans to come see their great individual star player and so it began.

We, the Hawks, have returned to the team concept and it works!

Today, we face the young, hot, Smooveless Pistons.

to_keep_order.gif

• Like 2