• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I don't have faith in our Pointguard situation as it stands

Blunt91

If we are to learn anything from history, the current Hawks group can look back on the start of the 2004 season.    We had an old Kenny Anderson as a starting Point and only combo guards in Tony Delk and Royal Ivey to back him up.  I think we even used Jon Barry and Antoine Walker to bring the ball up.  Well that experiment did not work, we had to cut Kenny Anderson and trade Jon Barry for Tyronn Lue to get  a true point  guard to steady the offense.

I am not comparing Dennis to Kenny Anderson but using Shooting guards and Forwards to bring the ball up did not work out to well for them.  So how is Bembry, THjr and Bazemore any different from Barry, Walker and Delk?   That team was in full rebuild mode and not really playing for anything we are trying to compete for a championship.  We won't go too far this season until we get a legit Point guard behind Dennis.  Delaney is best served as a 3rd string point guard.  

It took Mike Woodsen almost 2 months into the season to trade for a Pointguard ( Barry traded for Lue December 23, 2004).  Will Bud wait this long to pull the trigger on a deal?

Edited by Blunt91
Misspelled word

• Moderators

I honestly hate having Schro as our starter. He hogs the ball and tries forcing plays. Keeps getting lost amongst the trees which causes turnovers. Love his defense, but he needs to pass the ball more. He isn't our offense. We need to pick up a veteran PG on the low-low that can show him a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

If we are to learn anything from history, the current Hawks group can look back on the start of the 2004 season.    We had an old Kenny Anderson as a starting Point and only combo guards in Tony Delk and Royal Ivey to back him up.  I think we even used Jon Barry and Antoine Walker to bring the ball up.  Well that experiment did not work, we had to cut Kenny Anderson and trade Jon Barry for Tyronn Lue to get  a true point  guard to steady the offense.

I am not comparing Dennis to Kenny Anderson but using Shooting guards and Forwards to bring the ball up did not work out to well for them.  So how is Bembry, THjr and Bazemore any different from Barry, Walker and Delk?   That team was in full rebuild mode and not really playing for anything we are trying to compete for a championship.  We won't go too far this season until we get a legit Point guard behind Dennis.  Delaney is best served as a 3rd string point guard.  

It took Mike Woodsen almost 2 months into the season to trade for a Pointguard ( Barry traded for Lue December 23, 2004).  Will Bud wait this long to pull the trigger on a deal?

Before this river becomes an ocean; I got just the thing to pump up your faith. :)

Edited by ATLien_

What kinda offsets Delaney's mediocre PG quality, is that the second unit has some quality passers and THJ. So, I think Bud lets THJ do allot of the PG role, but in return gets 3 shooting treaths out there.  Defense though...

Edited by DS17Fanboy

I think once we decide who we cut, and I think will be Scott we will sign a Pg on FA.

I think is going to be Scott due to his legal issues and the fact that Humph, Muscala and Prince are better players and can provide help.

Good options could help us are Dinwidee, Lorenzo Brown, Norris Cole, Phil Pressey, Marshall, Udrih or Chalmers and I think are better than Bynum and Jack right now

1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

I think once we decide who we cut, and I think will be Scott we will sign a Pg on FA.

I think is going to be Scott due to his legal issues and the fact that Humph, Muscala and Prince are better players and can provide help.

Good options could help us are Dinwidee, Lorenzo Brown, Norris Cole, Phil Pressey, Marshall, Udrih or Chalmers and I think are better than Bynum and Jack right now

We are at the max 15 - there is no need  to cut anyone else at the moment.

I have more faith in Dennis at 22 than I did when Teague started at 24. But moreso, I have more faith in Coach Bud that he was willing to play Dennis down the stretch of important games as opposed to the incubment.  This is Dennis' time, will he have growing pains, absolutely but I feel he's ready.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have more faith in Dennis at 22 than I did when Teague started at 24. But moreso, I have more faith in Coach Bud that he was willing to play Dennis down the stretch of important games as opposed to the incubment.  This is Dennis' time, will he have growing pains, absolutely but I feel he's ready.

Absolutely agree. Dennis was on the floor for better or worse when it counted most at the most critical point of the year for us. Heck, I'm elated we have Prince to show for not having Jeff moving foward. Trials will definitely be early this season for us with the change Bud made but feeling it will prove the correct call by the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is how I feel....not going to act like Dennis won't make any mistakes cause he surely will especially offensively.

But his defense should show to be better than teagues on a nightly basis.

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Exactly! Got to give Dennis a chance. I think Dennis and Delaney will be alright. He got vets like Korver and Baze to learn on and pretty much the same coaches that helped develop Teague. Dennis time was bound to come. No way ATL was going to pay 2 PGs 20+ mil each.

Edited by BigDog90

• Moderators

We rolled with 3 quality PGs the last 2 years then as the clocks winding down on Teague's Hawk career they send out Mack too.  smh.   I do think there's a possiblity we are looking for a backup in the next few months.   Delaney being ineffective or any injury puts us in a bad position.