• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Towering Piece of Excrement? Really, Bob Ryan?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

I had a good time laughing yesterday about the Tim Bontemps piece in the Washington Post, ranking the top 40 players "since the NBA/ABA merger." (There's nothing else to do, apparently). Especially since the character drawings WashPo likes to use to accompany the rankings are always hilarious!

I also found Dwight's ranking of #27 to be awfully kind. So did the hemorrhoidal Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe. But as New Englanders tend to do, he took his critique way too "fahr".

And of course, The Worldwide Leader takes it upon itself to post his off-camera spew online for the world to... enjoy.

I'm giving Mr. Met our Harry the Hawk uniform for a day.

~lw3

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Bob's Bitter Beer Face can't have anything to do with the fact that Dwight's Magic ended his blessed juggernaut Celtics' championship run at 1, whooping them in their house by 19 points in Game 7 of the 2009 conference semis. Nope, that can't be it at all...

~lw3

Haha I was wondering why he was that mad...lol I figured there must be something and whoomp there it is!

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, pimp said:

And i see that Wilt Chamberlain didn't make the top 40...

Bontemps explained that he was only measuring based on performances that began after the leagues merged, so it's not an all-time ever-ever ranking. The Big Dipper's last game was in 1973, while the NBA and ABA merged in 1977. It's also why Kareem, he notes, is ranked below the Top 10, although I think I'd still have his 1977-1989 years ahead of Dirk at #10.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Too soon...:-( RIP

Blast from the past!

And how could I have ever omitted the great 7-foot giant, Eric Montross?

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8309397.html

(BOB RYAN, Boston Globe) Don Casey doesn't have enough problems coaching somebody else's team, and now he's got to listen to Larry Bird giving him a hearty "I-Told-Ya-So."

"I said to Bird, `You know, Eric has a game,' " related the Celtics' interim coach, "and he said, `What? He always had a game.' Well, I didn't know that from looking at the tapes."

To say that someone "has a game" is not, in NBA parlance, a casual throwaway line. If someone "has a game," then that someone has a clue. He may also look forward to a long and fruitful NBA career.

People who rolled their eyes when the Celtics drafted Eric Montross with the ninth pick of this year's NBA draft had better refocus. A quarter of the way through the season, it is obvious the Celtics made an intelligent decision.

Eddie Jones was taken with the very next pick. A couple picks later, Jalen Rose. May I roll my eyes now, Bob? :rolleyes:

~lw3

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

And how could I have ever omitted the great 7-foot giant, Eric Montross?

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8309397.html

Eddie Jones was taken with the very next pick. A couple picks later, Jalen Rose. May I roll my eyes now, Bob? :rolleyes:

~lw3

Eric Montross omg I can picture him..big 7 footer crew cut flat top military cut...wasn't that also the name of Eric Nies character on above the rim? Or maybe it sounded like it..lol

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

Hakeem didn't make the top 10? Wow.

The Dream is #6 (that's him between what's supposed to be Larry and what's supposed to be Shaq). But there's still so much to unpack in these rankings that I was all ready to leave it alone yesterday with nary a mention. That is, until Mr. Ryan opened up his big maw.

~lw3

3 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

The Dream is #6 (that's him between what's supposed to be Larry and what's supposed to be Shaq). But there's still so much to unpack in these rankings that I was all ready to leave it alone yesterday with nary a mention. That is, until Mr. Ryan opened up his big maw.

~lw3

Westbrook already ahead of Isiah Thomas who has 2 rings and 3 finals appearances? Hmmm

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

He called the mail man the garbage man...

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

He said all that trash about Dwight and still, somehow, managed to precede it with something worse.

Bob, your Len Bias is showing.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just a reminder that Nique's Top 50 snub, back in 1996, came largely at the hands of these voters:

http://www.nba.com/history/players/50greatest.html

Voters for the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History 

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (player), Marv Albert (media), Al Attles (team), Red Auerbach (team), Elgin Baylor (team), Dave Bing (player), Larry Bird (team), Marty Blake (team), Fran Blinebury (media), Bill Bradley (player), Hubie Brown (team), Wilt Chamberlain (player), Mitch Chortkoff (media), Bob Cousy (player), Billy Cunningham (team), Chuck Daly (team), David DuPree (media), Wayne Embry (team), Julius Erving (player), Joe Gilmartin (media), Sam Goldaper (media), Alex Hannum (team), Lester Harrison (team), John Havlicek (player), Chick Hearn (media), Red Holzman (team), Phil Jasner (media), Earvin Johnson (player), John Kerr (player), Leonard Koppet (media), Bob Lanier (player), Frank Layden (team), Leonard Lewin (media), Jack McCallum (media), d*ck McGuire (team), George Mikan (player), Bob Pettit (player), Harvey Pollack (team), Jack Ramsay (team), Willis Reed (team), Oscar Robertson (player), Bill Russell (player), Bob Ryan (media), Dolph Schayes (player), Bill Sharman (player), Gene Shue (team), Isiah Thomas (team), Wes Unseld (team), Peter Vecsey (media), Jerry West (team)

Over two decades later, somebody in Bristol still thinks we need Bob's unvarnished opinion.

~lw3