• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Towering Piece of Excrement? Really, Bob Ryan?

lethalweapon3

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We all acknowledge he was a high-caliber player but a guy totally knocking Malone that way was completely disrespectful and driven by homerism.

We talkin bout Supes or...? :-|

Anytime I see the name Karl Malone it's like I'm getting ready to go to war and defend Malone like im a Mormon from Utah who only likes 2 black guys in the world and one is Karl Malone.....

related searches:

Al Horford 

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Did you read what I wrote, muthaf*ckah? (in Samuel L Jackson voice)

We all acknowledge he was a high-caliber player but a guy totally knocking Malone that way was completely disrespectful and driven by homerism.

Was McHale doubled to the extent that Malone was?  No.  Was he #1 on anybody's scouting report the way Malone likely was?  No.  Hard to be unstoppable in the post when 3 guys are gunnin' for you.

Yeah I saw what you typed.

Unfortunately, I  also remember this game as a kid.  In the late 80s, It wasn't Bird and the rest of the guys.  It was the McHale and Bird show.  He was a lethal scorer during this time.  Look at all of the attention he's getting in this game vs the Hawks, back in 1987,  Double or triple teams didn't matter.

You put McHale on the Jazz, maybe Stockton gets to showcase how good of a scoring PG he actually was, instead of a passing one.  Because as good as Malone was, you could easily say that he wouldn't be as great, if he were on Boston and not playing with Stockton.  Malone had good post moves, but he lived off the pick and roll / pick and pop with Stockton.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Unfortunately, I  also remember this game as a kid.  In the late 80s, It wasn't Bird and the rest of the guys.  It was the McHale and Bird show.  He was a lethal scorer during this time.  Look at all of the attention he's getting in this game vs the Hawks, back in 1987,  Double or triple teams didn't matter.

You put McHale on the Jazz, maybe Stockton gets to showcase how good of a scoring PG he actually was, instead of a passing one.  Because as good as Malone was, you could easily say that he wouldn't be as great, if he were on Boston and not playing with Stockton.  Malone had good post moves, but he lived off the pick and roll / pick and pop with Stockton.

Wait.  Are you trying to say the Malone wouldn't be as good without Stockton but McHale would be just as good without Bird ?   Not trying to put words in your mouth but i'm not buying that premise.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Again, we all know he was really good.  No one's disputing that.

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Wait.  Are you trying to say the Malone wouldn't be as good without Stockton but McHale would be just as good without Bird ?   Not trying to put words in your mouth but i'm not buying that premise.  

That's eggsactly what he's saying.  He's a sneaky muthaf*ckah that @TheNorthCydeRises

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm saying that McHale's greatness was not dependent on Bird's presence, because McHale did most of his work in the low post.

If 1/4 of Malone's greatness was due to the pick and roll, would he have been just as great as a Celtic?   Would Bird sacrifice some of his game to make Malone just as great?   Bird may have done just that.

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'm saying that McHale's greatness was not dependent on Bird's presence, because McHale did most of his work in the low post.

If 1/4 of Malone's greatness was due to the pick and roll, would he have been just as great as a Celtic?   Would Bird sacrifice some of his game to make Malone just as great?   Bird may have done just that.

There is literally no way to know this.

It certainly cannot be said, of anyone who played with one of the great players of all time, that their level of play was not dependent on the presence of that great player.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

There is literally no way to know this.

It certainly cannot be said, of anyone who played with one of the great players of all time, that their level of play was not dependent on the presence of that great player.

So why is it ridiculous to say that McHale wouldn't have been just as great on the Jazz, as Malone was?   They had 2 different games individually.  But with Stockton's ability, would he look to score more, or try to make McHale even better?

Stockton was a robot physically, who never got hurt.  He only missed about 4 games in his first 13 or 14 seasons.  Bird was pretty durable until 1989.  In that season, McHale still put up 22 pts - 8 rebs and shot 55% FG.

Part of McHale's greatness was being allowed to drag his pivot foot from outside the lane to right up against the rim and bank it in (several feet in distance from start to finish). NBA rules or poor eyesight I guess but still aggravating as hell and a lot of people bitched about it constantly then. He broke the ice on traveling before MJ made it into an art form. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Really?  Put Mchale on the Jazz and see.  It helps to be surrounded by Larry Bird and Robert Parish.   

McHale in Utah would have been chased off by mormons with torches.   He only survived in Minnesota because of their fondness for Sasquatch and Boston because of their fondness for their mothers. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Bob Ryan strikes me as a guy who sits around his house farting all day...

(I know, not the most insightful post..)

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/2/2017 at 3:35 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So why is it ridiculous to say that McHale wouldn't have been just as great on the Jazz, as Malone was?   They had 2 different games individually.  But with Stockton's ability, would he look to score more, or try to make McHale even better?

Stockton was a robot physically, who never got hurt.  He only missed about 4 games in his first 13 or 14 seasons.  Bird was pretty durable until 1989.  In that season, McHale still put up 22 pts - 8 rebs and shot 55% FG.

And Boston went from 59 and 57 wins the prior two seasons to 8th Seed in the East at 42 wins. That season Malone averagaed 29.1 and 11 while McHale averaged 22.5 and 8.  McHale still had the Chief, prime Reggie Lewis, prime Danny Ainge, Dennis Johnson, etc.  Basically the same team all years in Boston.  The prior two seasons they were in the NBA Finals and ECF and with McHale leading the team they were swept 3-0 in the first round.  When Pippen lost Jordan, he led the Bulls to 55 wins.

After Bird returned?  Despite have lingering back problems, he went right back to leading the team (more rebounds, assists, steals and points per game than McHale) to 52 and 56 wins the next two seasons.  

As an aside, that 1989-90 season after he returned from back problems, Bird averaged 8.3 defensive rebounds per game to McHale's 5.8.  (Malone averaged 3 rebounds a game and 11 points points a game more than McHale.)