• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

League sources: Paul Millsap will have at least 3 teams (SAC, DEN, and MIN) offering him a max contract

GameTime

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

This team isn't even close to having a core that can contend. i don't see how they're going to get that core by continuing to ride the treadmill.

They won't. I came to that realization years ago. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I would offer him (4+1 team option x 35M) for his services. An all-star since year 1 with the Hawks. This is the kind of player champions are made of. Losing him means this franchise doesn't really care about winning.

I say re-sign him at all costs. Well, maybe not for the 200M max, but he's worth 35M per no doubt.

And no, I don't care about the money (or for the cap space for that matter). I care about good players, and Paul is a hell of a baller. He earned his fat contract, now it's up to Schlenk to offer him a better deal than the ones he could get out there.

He wont get max from the Hawks.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BrazilianHawk said:

More like 15 years.

Prior to this 10-year run at the playoffs, Hawks spent 8 years watching it from the outside. So, 18 years, 7 lottery picks (#2, #3 twice, #5, #6 twice, #11), and we didn't celebrate that elusive championship.

What makes the tankers think it will work this time?

Odds are it won't.  It worked for both Cleveland and Golden State, though.  Which teams went from winning 43-50 games without an MVP level talent to a ring in that time?

To me, you need the MVP level player to build around so the question becomes how you get them.  Unlike the college teams cited above, you can't recruit them outside of FA.  FA appears to be completely non-viable to me without already having the FA.  Sure looks to me like we don't have the assets to acquire one in a trade.  That leaves the draft.  Without that foundational player, you are not a threat.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I know a lot of Hawks fans love Paul Millsap but in the process severely overrate him as a player.  We will be at least a 35-40 win team without Millsap so I'm not sure why posters are claiming we are tanking if we don't max out Sap.  If Sap signs for his real market value then he will be back. If not, the Hawks will and should go in a different direction. Sap is a fine player but game changer he is not.  plus he is on the down side of his career.  Let someone else ride out players in decline for a change.  if we resign Thjr, find some free agent bargains and continue to draft well, the dip should be brief if at all.

• Premium Member

To the original statement of this thread...

I'm not sure that those teams have Max Money to offer to Sap.   Wait... let me say it another way.  Sactown and Denver has no team to put around Sap.   And Minny...They will have some money but not Max money...  If I were betting I would say Minny.

Secondly, I think we would feel the lose of Millsap... he wasn't System made.  Moreover, we don't have a replacement.  We'd be about a 27 win team if we lost him for nothing. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

To the original statement of this thread...

I'm not sure that those teams have Max Money to offer to Sap.   Wait... let me say it another way.  Sactown and Denver has no team to put around Sap.   And Minny...They will have some money but not Max money...  If I were betting I would say Minny.

Secondly, I think we would feel the lose of Millsap... he wasn't System made.  Moreover, we don't have a replacement.  We'd be about a 27 win team if we lost him for nothing. 

Don't agree, we will sign free agents that will fill a role at power forward. Thjr, Prince, Bembry, and yes Dennis and Bazemore will experience growth.  Even out draft picks will help out. So 35-40 wins. If not we get a better draft pick.  Win-win!

56 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Don't agree, we will sign free agents that will fill a role at power forward. Thjr, Prince, Bembry, and yes Dennis and Bazemore will experience growth.  Even out draft picks will help out. So 35-40 wins. If not we get a better draft pick.  Win-win!

While some may overate Paul's skills, I think you're undervaluing him.  I'm not necessarily advocating re-signing him at all costs.  Just pointing out this team is much different without him.  Look how poorly Atlanta performed in the games he missed last season.  Sure, we could replace some (or all depending on who we bring in) his production, but it'll be tough to replicate all of what he delivered on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

35-40 wins with a team led by Dennis (probably will be better than last year) and then a bunch of scrubs and stopgaps? I wouldn't bet on it. It Millsap leaves, then it's tank or bust.

and please, please, don't give me any Bazemore will be better crap. He won´t.

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I know a lot of Hawks fans love Paul Millsap but in the process severely overrate him as a player.  We will be at least a 35-40 win team without Millsap so I'm not sure why posters are claiming we are tanking if we don't max out Sap.  If Sap signs for his real market value then he will be back. If not, the Hawks will and should go in a different direction. Sap is a fine player but game changer he is not.  plus he is on the down side of his career.  Let someone else ride out players in decline for a change.  if we resign Thjr, find some free agent bargains and continue to draft well, the dip should be brief if at all.

Did you watch us last year without Paul?  I mean I have come around the fact that Sap should not be maxed out, but when he leaves we will be terrible.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Image result for slow laugh gif

Bembry??  Prince??  Some strange PF from Parts unknown... weight unknown...  OK.  I'm laughing.  You just put up a 22 win team and you're expecting 35???  LOL

• Like 2

If Millsap won't resign at around $27M per (unlikely if he's gonna get max offers), a SnT with Minnesota has potential: Patton, Rubio and Dieng (in that order) all have some interest to me.

Edit: I'll miss ya, Sap.

Edited by TheFuzz

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, KB21 said:

I want Dieng in any S&T deal with them.  Dieng is a guy who can start at center now and give you value while contributing to winning.  He's a rim protector who also has some range on his shot.  

Patton is 2-3 years from even being a rotational big.

Do you remember Bob Sura? How he did just enough to win enough meaningless games to screw up our lottery chances?

Dieng would be Sura2.0 the center version. There's a reason why I want Cole and the #16th pick and not a decent starter in Dieng.

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Do you remember Bob Sura? How he did just enough to win enough meaningless games to screw up our lottery chances?

Dieng would be Sura2.0 the center version. There's a reason why I want Cole and the #16th pick and not a decent starter in Dieng.

And we got those lottery picks a few years later and used them to acquire such superstars as Marvin Williams, Josh Childress and Sheldon Williams.  Those were the days when we had those three superstars.

Tanking seldom works, at least not for us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Yes.  That reason is you want to spend the next 10 years in the lottery. 

I don't.  I don't ever want to go through 1999-2007 again.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yes.  That reason is you want to spend the next 10 years in the lottery. 

I don't.  I don't ever want to go through 1999-2007 again.

And if our idiot GM Knight had drafted better we wouldn't have been in the lottery for all those years.

10 minutes ago, Watchman said:

And we got those lottery picks a few years later and used them to acquire such superstars as Marvin Williams, Josh Childress and Sheldon Williams.  Those were the days when we had those three superstars.

Tanking seldom works, at least not for us.

Tanking doesn't work for anyone.  Philadelphia is the great white hope for tanking fans right now, and they are still years away from competing for a playoff spot, much less a championship.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

Did you watch us last year without Paul?  I mean I have come around the fact that Sap should not be maxed out, but when he leaves we will be terrible.  

Yep..I watched them beat Cleveland in cleveland

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

And if our idiot GM Knight had drafted better we wouldn't have been in the lottery for all those years.

There is a direct correlation between rebuilding teams panning out and front office competency. It's not even an NBA thing. It's a general sports thing.  There is a reason why there aren't a ton of examples of bad GMs winning championships.

Same can be said for terrible owners. Only owner I can think of that avoiding this truth  off the top of my head is Dan Gilbert.

Edited by Guard

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Who's to say Schlenk will be any better?

And who's to say he does a great job and lands us the superstar that is REQUIRED to win a title?

It works both ways. All of you guys so adamant on never rebuilding are just ignoring the reality of sports cycles. You don't stay on top forever with the same guys forever. We've had 10 straight years, zero titles, one conference finals and that's it. It is time to hit the reset button.

You can't justify never rebuilding or trusting the draft because past GMs botched picks.

• Like 2