• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

League sources: Paul Millsap will have at least 3 teams (SAC, DEN, and MIN) offering him a max contract

GameTime

MillSap shouldn't be a starter even.  I think David West is better than Millsap (just my thoughts which I know is in the minority).  I just want to start over.  We need to let the medium tier players go somewhere else.  Paul Millsap is good  but not great.

Tanking doesn't work. The Hawks haven't really did it and they have a bunch of rings to show for it.

4 minutes ago, red2play said:

MillSap shouldn't be a starter even.  I think David West is better than Millsap (just my thoughts which I know is in the minority).  I just want to start over.  We need to let the medium tier players go somewhere else.  Paul Millsap is good  but not great.

You think an old David West is better than Sap? lol

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, red2play said:

was this supposed to be in green font?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, red2play said:

What. The. f***.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

And who's to say he does a great job and lands us the superstar that is REQUIRED to win a title?

It works both ways. All of you guys so adamant on never rebuilding are just ignoring the reality of sports cycles. You don't stay on top forever with the same guys forever. We've had 10 straight years, zero titles, one conference finals and that's it. It is time to hit the reset button.

You can't justify never rebuilding or trusting the draft because past GMs botched picks.

You base it off the fact that the lottery does very little to actually improve a team unless you are lucky enough to land that top pick in a year where there is a true superstar talent available.  You are much more likely to get an Anthony Bennett than a Kevin Durant.

That also doesn't take into account the fact that the talent that has been getting taken at the top of the draft recently are all unseasoned talents who don't know how to play the game the right way.  The Lakers have already traded D'Angelo Russell for a much lower return than what they spent to get him.  They still have Julius Randle, who isn't even a quality rotational player at this point. 

Heck, recent #1 overall draft pick Andrew Wiggins was just discussed in a FiveThirtyEight article as being the worst defensive player in the NBA.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nba-haters-ball/ 

This is what you guys want to tank for, and you wonder why tanking doesn't work?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, red2play said:

:ahf:

:laugh::ahf2:

9 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Tanking doesn't work. The Hawks haven't really did it and they have a bunch of rings to show for it.

You think an old David West is better than Sap? lol

At 32?  You think PM is a spring chicken?  and I love how people want to complain about MY OPINION, even when I said its not popular.  Whoever gives the max will regret the contract soon enough.

Just now, red2play said:

At 32?  You think PM is a spring chicken?  and I love how people want to complain about MY OPINION, even when I said its not popular.  Whoever gives the max will regret the contract soon enough.

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion here on the squawk just be prepared to back up your statements lol

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You base it off the fact that the lottery does very little to actually improve a team unless you are lucky enough to land that top pick in a year where there is a true superstar talent available.  You are much more likely to get an Anthony Bennett than a Kevin Durant.

That also doesn't take into account the fact that the talent that has been getting taken at the top of the draft recently are all unseasoned talents who don't know how to play the game the right way.  The Lakers have already traded D'Angelo Russell for a much lower return than what they spent to get him.  They still have Julius Randle, who isn't even a quality rotational player at this point. 

Heck, recent #1 overall draft pick Andrew Wiggins was just discussed in a FiveThirtyEight article as being the worst defensive player in the NBA.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nba-haters-ball/ 

This is what you guys want to tank for, and you wonder why tanking doesn't work?

I want to rebuild not straight tank. You seem to gloss over that but regardless your points on the draft are simply incorrect. You don't get top talent usually below 15th in the draft and most of that really good talent is in the top five picks. Of course not ever year is going to have Lebron, Melo and Wade in it. But sometimes it does give you a superstar or someone just below that range.

You don't get that talent in Atlanta through a trade or free agency. We either draft them or they will never be on the Hawks. You can disagree with me all you want about clinging to one treadmill pointless playoff appearance after another just to avoid rebuilding but it doesn't change the actual reality of the situation.

16 minutes ago, red2play said:

I still think this is sarcasm. Not that I disagree that a full max deal for Sap is a bad deal for a team but David West being better than Sap is just...wow. Wowzers even.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Tanking doesn't work for anyone.  

At the time that Wages of Win article came out saying it was better to be on the treadmill than to be one of the worst teams in the league if you want a ring, two of the worst teams in the league winning 20 some games apiece were Golden State and Cleveland.  3 consecutive championships says it can work out.  Nearly every champ had one or more terrible seasons winning 20 some games before drafting an eventual regular season or finals MVP who enjoyed a career of All-NBA appearances and was the cornerstone that led to the championships.  We don't have our cornerstone today.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sothron said:

And who's to say he does a great job and lands us the superstar that is REQUIRED to win a title?

It works both ways. All of you guys so adamant on never rebuilding are just ignoring the reality of sports cycles. You don't stay on top forever with the same guys forever. We've had 10 straight years, zero titles, one conference finals and that's it. It is time to hit the reset button.

You can't justify never rebuilding or trusting the draft because past GMs botched picks.

It's weird. The always scared anti rebuilders will always argue that rebuilding doesn't work but will trust a GM to put together a team that will win a championship without rebuildIng? How on earth would that be possible?

What teams are we outbidding to make that happen because there are teams that have more assets than we do. We don't have more cap space than other teams that could lure in a star player via free agency. This organization isnt a massive free agent destination either. How on earth is this happening?

I'd respect their opinions more if they just came out and said they don't want to win a championship. I'd atleast understand that mindset more than the "B..B....B....Bob Sura/Billy Knight!" talking points.

Edited by Guard
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, red2play said:

At least you're fun.

Oh, wait...

Edited by MrYellow

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Guard said:

It's weird. The always scared anti rebuilders will always argue that rebuilding doesn't work but will trust a GM to put together a team that will win a championship without rebuildIng? How on earth is would that be possible?

What teams are we outbidding to make that happen because there are teams that have more assets than we do. We don't have more cap space than other teams that could lure in a star player via free agency. This organization isnt a massive free agent destination either. How on earth is this happening?

I'd respect their opinions more if they just came out and said they don't want to win a championship. I'd atleast understand that mindset more than the "B..B....B....Bob Sura/Billy Knight!" talking points.

Some of them in the past have admitted they'd rather watch a mediocre playoff team with no chance of going into the lottery than anything else. To me it is very simple: you either have a superstar and some chance of winning a NBA title or you have nothing.

19 minutes ago, Guard said:

It's weird. The always scared anti rebuilders will always argue that rebuilding doesn't work but will trust a GM to put together a team that will win a championship without rebuildIng? How on earth would that be possible?

If I didn't want to win a championship, then I would support tanking because that is the surest way to not win a championship.

23 minutes ago, Guard said:

I'd challenge this and say you will be the first on here complaining after the Hawks have seven or eight years of losing and are still years away from making the playoffs.

Question: Has any team that missed the playoffs ever won a championship?  Nope 100% of time!

If you're talking a one year tank to get a top draft pick, then sure.  That's what happened to San Antonio and lead to Duncan.  If you're talking about picking in the lotto for five years.  Heck no!

I'm not of the mindset that you jettison all your vets and leave your team with a bunch of young players who do not know how to win.  You need a nice mix.  If that mix only leads you to 35 wins then so be it.   If that mix leads you to 50 wins so be it.

I don't watch the Hawks for championships. I watch them for entertainment.  The ultimate entertainment would be them winning a championship.  Watching a crappy team is the worst possible entertainment for me.

Edited by marco102

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'd challenge this and say you will be the first on here complaining after the Hawks have seven or eight years of losing and are still years away from making the playoffs.

Question: Has any team that missed the playoffs ever won a championship?  Nope 100% of time!

If you're talking a one year tank to get a top draft pick, then sure.  That's what happened to San Antonio and lead to Duncan.  If you're talking about picking in the lotto for five years.  Heck no!

I'm not of the mindset that you jettison all your vets and leave your team with a bunch of young players who do not know how to win.  You need a nice mix.  If that mix only leads you to 35 wins then so be it.   If that mix leads you to 50 wins so be it.

I don't watch the Hawks for championships. I watch them for entertainment.  The ultimate entertainment would be them winning a championship.  Watching a crappy team is the worst possible entertainment for me.

No team will ever be able to recreate the Duncan espisode, where you have an established good team that was bad for a year because of an injury to a generational talent and another above average player.  When they were bad, they were bad because of injuries.  They got Tim Duncan, who was a four year player at Wake Forest and not an underdeveloped one and done overhyped AAU brat I might add, and added him to an ALREADY GOOD TEAM.

If you want to see what tanking does, look no farther than the Sacramento Kings, Minnesota Timberwolves, Charlotte Hornets, Philadelphia 76ers, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns, and New Orleans Pelicans.  Each of these teams have been drafting in the lottery for the past five drafts or have not been playoff teams over that period of time.  The only one that may push for a playoff spot this year is Minnesota, and that's because they finally got smart and traded that lottery pick for an established player.

Just now, KB21 said:

No team will ever be able to recreate the Duncan espisode, where you have an established good team that was bad for a year because of an injury to a generational talent and another above average player.  When they were bad, they were bad because of injuries.  They got Tim Duncan, who was a four year player at Wake Forest and not an underdeveloped one and done overhyped AAU brat I might add, and added him to an ALREADY GOOD TEAM.

If you want to see what tanking does, look no farther than the Sacramento Kings, Minnesota Timberwolves, Charlotte Hornets, Philadelphia 76ers, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns, and New Orleans Pelicans.  Each of these teams have been drafting in the lottery for the past five drafts or have not been playoff teams over that period of time.  The only one that may push for a playoff spot this year is Minnesota, and that's because they finally got smart and traded that lottery pick for an established player.

You know i'm on your side of the argument right?  The only player I would possibly consider tanking for is Docic.  He's been playing professionally for years and has a well developed game.  He played tough defense in the exhibition against OKC and didn't look lost.

I don't know if he's a once in a generational player, but he def has all star potential and you need those players to compete.

vor einer Stunde, red2play sagte:

Ban this guy, ASAP !