• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jamal Crawford and Atlanta Hawks have come to terms on a buyout

Diesel

• Premium Member

Entitled to your opinion, @Diesel. Through the years, I've usually sensed you don't argue with yourself very much about this kind of thing. What you think is what you think, and that's that. Nothing different now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

Haven't our GM learned ANYDAMNTHING...

I would hold Crawford until teams get desperate and we can get a good deal.   I don't care if he was sitting on the bench wearing Brooks Brothers for 56 games...  He doesn't leave Atlanta without a trade. 

The answer to your topic question is that a buyout of Crawford (right now) looks like a $2.5 million cap hit if stretched for 7 years. If that happened and we matched Hardaway + both 2nd rounders make the squad, we are looking at a team salary of about $80 million with 13 players signed. We'd have $19 million under the cap with 2 roster slots.

Whether you trade Crawford for a player or buy him out for space, either way you will get back 12 million in player. You either trade for it or sign it....either way you are making that space.  If you force a trade, you are forced to take back a player the other team doesn't want.  If you waive him, you lose 2.5 million in flexibility but you get to choose the player.  Assuming there is a player on the market you want, take the loss and buy the right player. It's not stupid, it is just a risk.  The stupid part is facilitating the trade in the first place that put you in the position to take a $2.5 million cap hit for a low first rounder (probably 22-30).

Now after THJ left (if our GM matches he should be fired) let Crawford play THJ's role of a 6th man.
If he still doesn't want to play tell him he should do well so a contender might want him at the trade deadline - if he stays longer he is an asset to a team in need of clearing some cap-space (and it seems there will be a lot of such teams...)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JTB said:

Where's the report that we are discussing a buy out ?

This is talk generated from Craw's camp but not sure about our take at the moment really other than it does sound like we want something in return and not just some cash relief.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/06/report-jamal-crawford-spoke-to-lebron-james-interested-in-cavaliers-after-buyout/

11 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

He has to be planning on using Crawford and Plumlee together for a major trade. Those 2 together could be very useful in making the Love to Atlanta trade happen. 

I don't know off the top of my head what Melo has left on his deal but if it's more than this year we could give them Crawford and Plumlee while the Cavs get Melo and the Hawks get Love. 

I thought of this exact same scenario except without including Plumlee.  The Hawks would almost certainly have to include a pick or possibly 2 to upgrade Crawford to Kevin Love, but he's a big that would work well in Bud's system.  He's terrible defensively so I don't like the fit next to Collins, but I know there has been speculation some of Collins' defensive shortcomings were due to the coaching at WF.  Love wouldn't replace everything Millsap brought to this team, but it would sure help fill that void. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Please don't get suckered into trading for Kevin Love!!!

Like him or not he's a lot more valuable on the court and as a trade chip than JCrossover and/or Plumlee are, especially if they're riding the pine. We could trade Love to almost any team in the league if we needed to but why would you want to do that when you've got a guy who rebounds, shoots, passes and scores as well as Love does considering he would be a star again under Bud. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

Like him or not he's a lot more valuable on the court and as a trade chip than JCrossover and/or Plumlee are, especially if they're riding the pine. We could trade Love to almost any team in the league if we needed to but why would you want to do that when you've got a guy who rebounds, shoots, passes and scores as well as Love does considering he would be a star again under Bud. 

Terrible defender and is a 3rd or 4th option on a championship team...post play below average. 

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Terrible defender and is a 3rd or 4th option on a championship team...post play below average. 

Love used to be one of the premier post players prior to going to Cleveland.  Is his post play really that bad or a product of the current system he's playing and the current state of the NBA? 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Love used to be one of the premier post players prior to going to Cleveland.  Is his post play really that bad or a product of the current system he's playing and the current state of the NBA? 

Nope..they realized it would be detrimental to the team and they were right..They won a championship with him as a role player i.e. 3 point shooter.  In Minnesota as a #1, they never won 30 game in a season during the 5 seasons he was there

12 hours ago, LastDon said:

Schlenk is a dumb GM if we buy Crawford out we basically would be paying 7 million  for a low first round pick..If we held on to Crawford and gave him big minutes to drive his value up we could reflip him at the deadline for another 1st round pick..

Where are people getting the idea that Crawford could possibly be traded for a 1st round pick? It's not 2009 anymore. He's a bad player on a worse contract. 

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Kevin had a season where his PER was #2 in the entire NBA behind only Lebron and above Durant and everyone else. He is being wasted in Cleveland.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm oversimplifying here, but again:

A) Crossover + Plumless

B) Love

C) Detritus

Which do you pick?

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Kevin had a season where his PER was #2 in the entire NBA behind only Lebron and above Durant and everyone else. He is being wasted in Cleveland.

100% agreed.  He cannot be ALL you have, which is why it didn't work in Minny with him.  Who did he have with him there?  People keep using that as a reference point, but I don't recall them having any other significant talent along with him.  I'll give you lack of defense and injury history, but you can't knock the dude's offensive, rebounding and passing abilities. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

100% agreed.  He cannot be ALL you have, which is why it didn't work in Minny with him.  Who did he have with him there?  People keep using that as a reference point, but I don't recall them having any other significant talent along with him.  I'll give you lack of defense and injury history, but you can't knock the dude's offensive, rebounding and passing abilities. 

His defense is greatly improved since going to Cleveland. He would be a great fit for us. I don't know why CLE would trade him though.

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

His defense is greatly improved since going to Cleveland. He would be a great fit for us. I don't know why CLE would trade him though.

I agree, but I think they're at a point where it's make LeBron happy at all costs.  They know he's got one foot out the door and another on a banana peel so if he wants Melo and NY will not buy him out, then they have very little else to offer of value.  In my scenario, I have ATL sending them a 1st as well.  NY gets Crawford for Melo which is more than what I think they're getting right now.  It also gives them a little salary relief as Crawford saves them about $10 million this season, but puts them on the hook for next season. 

• Like 1