• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jamal Crawford and Atlanta Hawks have come to terms on a buyout

Diesel

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I can't believe we didn't flip his contract. That contract is like gold next season for almost 2/3 of the league that will have cap issues. This is a braindead move unless there's some FA signing or trade we couldn't do with that cap space in the way.

It's call Matching THJr.

• Premium Member
Just now, Final_quest said:

I think it's speculative to assume Crawford's contract gets us a valuable pick.  Could have, but you waste the opportunity of signing a bargain player who could be with us several years.

Dieselputer says.. THJr will be matched.

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It's call Matching THJr.

554.gif

Sorry, Diesel I don't think that anybody with a brain would match those terms.

In fact, if the Hawks matches that then this team would be the laughing stock of all professional sports, bar none

Edited by NekiEcko
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Alex said:

Say he agrees to 12 million dollar buyout and signs somewhere for 8.  He gains money.

True. If you say that. If.

$12m to me is not nearly enough to begin with.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I think it's speculative to assume Crawford's contract gets us a valuable pick.  Could have, but you waste the opportunity of signing a bargain player who could be with us several years.

Pressure is on to get more value than a 1st round pick from those bargain players who otherwise could not have been signed for me.  Otherwise, I am not happy with this move.

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

Pressure is on to get more value than a 1st round pick from those bargain players who otherwise could not have been signed for me.  Otherwise, I am not happy with this move.

Can you kindly explain in layman's why the contract is gold? Because it would have been an expiring next offseason?

Related note: if you acquire an expiring, can you immediately waive the player and get the cap space, or do you have to wait til it actually expires?

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I am still withholding judgement on Schlenk until I see who he brings in and actually signs.  

I'm expecting him to sign...

Isaia Cordinier.  Maybe Christian Woods or James McAdoo. 

I see zero reason for this. 

If we are in true tank mode, picks are a huge commodity. Crawford was worth at least SOMETHING. 

If we're not....why exactly are we not trying to sign ANYONE? 

This just screams another hawks "we don't know what we're doing" off season. Pick a direction....

• Like 2

Nobody really knows why we bought him out other than he didn't want to be here and the Hawks probably didn't think forcing him to be here was a good idea.  So buy him out and be done with it.  It's probably that simple.  When you're the new gm cleaning house, it's going to be a little ugly at times.  I think we're just cleaning the slate as much as possible with a mostly fresh start with as little bad contracts as possible and having a team with players that want to be here.

It depend

10 minutes ago, ISO said:

The idiots use the stretch provision on Crawford. The only reason I see to do this is to offer someone max money. Stretching him out instead of a true buyout messes up our cap for the next couple year.

It depends on the difference on the buyout and what he signs for elsewhere and the money left in our cap.  If there is space, you absorb it now...if not, stretch and only to the number of years necessary to absorb the most into the short term.