• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

One Hawks bloggger says we're two role players away from winning 40 games. Who agrees with him?

sturt

I predicted 27 to 32 wins last week, but am wanting to rethink that up to about 35 wins as the roster is shaping up. So Colonel Schlenk actually IS doing as he said: getting younger, not signing bad contracts, accumulating picks, staying flexible, and remaining "competitive" (in the hunt for that 8th seed and not tanking down for the 13th-15th seed). 

• Like 1

Problem is there is not that many sharp shooters left out there and he is asking us to sign two at two different positions. 

Jonathan Simmons Spurs will likely match any reasonable offer.

Nikola Mirotic down season last year

Ian Clark improved every year

Kentavious Caldwell Pope, hot shooter in stretches but very erratic.

As I said, the blogger is asking a lot and there is not a lot left to be had; especially with our limited cap space.

• Premium Member

Sometime in the past week, Green's agent reportedly called MEM "not serious" about re-signing him, and claimed to be aware of two sign-and-trade offers on the table at the time.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sturt said:

Sometime in the past week, Green's agent reportedly called MEM "not serious" about re-signing him, and claimed to be aware of two sign-and-trade offers on the table at the time.

I don't see how Memphis can let him walk though. I think they may be letting the market set his value and they are hoping for the best. Something in the range  of 8 to 10 a season. Like what we did with Teague on his first FA contract.. I think the Spurs are doing the same with Simmons.

If a team is willing to over pay,, a sign and trade makes complete sense.

Edited by Buzzard

As far as answering the question. If we somehow miraculously acquired Simmons to go along with Green or Mirotic, I could see us being a borderline playoff team in the East. 35 to 40 wins.

It will take more than just any stretch four and wing out there; and I don't think our 20 in cap will get two quality RFA shooters. IMO, the chances are good both Simmons and Green will get matched at 10 a year.

Edited by Buzzard

The answer simply lies in what you think of Bud and the East.  Clearly LaGree is a fan of the former and not the latter.  He's also factoring in an imaginative 0 games lost to injury.  Holla at me when all rosters are set and training camp/ exhibition injuries are tallied but I'm on a sliding scale of 35 now.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, sturt said:

I don't think it's that simple. 40 games, no. 35 games maybe. 30 games probably.

It's called puff puff pass.

Tell bret.. never get high on your own supply.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The Hawks as currently constructed are full of people who can defend. Defense wins games....they'll fall into 20 wins based on defense.  Its the other 20 I don't know about.

See that's what I believe. Unless we get some miraculous surprising season out of 2 of our young players we will likely on get 20 wins but the wins will be more so cause of good team defense in those games.

offense will be this teams biggest issue but it's been a big issue for years now so it's not any different than any other season since nique 

For them to get to 35 wins or more, the following will have to happen...

Schoeder playing at or near an All-Star level

Prince or Baze (maybe even both) averaging nearly 20 a night

Dedmon averaging close to a double-double (pun intended)

Collins becoming first team All-Rookie (not impossible)

Bembry playing lights out off the bench

And a lot more, including next to no serious injuries coming their way...

• Like 1