• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kyrie Irving to ATL - ESPN Trade Ideas

hawkster911

Irving is the best player but not the best option for ATL as Irving wants to win now and we do not have the roster to surround Irving and compete now. Dennis is the best option for us as we are on a plan to build a contender in 2-3 years, Irving would not agree to go through that process, In 2-3 years all our picks will be on the roster and all our salaries will be gone, fantastic situation to sign FA.

Edited by gurpilo
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't know what Irving wants.   Qurpilo says he wants to win now.. if that's the case, he should stay in Cleveland.   I think Irving wants his own team.  He can have that here.  We would certainly build around his strength but the trade proposed doesn't seem like it would work.   I mean... salarywise.. sure.. but why would Phoenix do it?  I think it's just a whole lot of mulling around for pundits who have access to salary sheets.   

In terms of our team with Irving.  We'd build around him which means that we'd go out and get players that complimented his skillset.   What's that look like?  I don't know... but it would take a plan to keep him here. 

It can't just be 3 PGs swapped for each other right? Or has the price for Irving dropped since the whole league knows he wants out?

I would be weary about only having 2 years of Irving before he most likely leaves us high and dry, but he is a Superstar and wouldn't get too far in the way of a tank. Let's not forget that he did lead a team to the #1 pick before after being one himself.

It is an intriguing possibility. The rub being are Hawks then left without Kyrie, Dennis, and some picks in 2020?

2 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

It's not a guarantee that Irving would walk in 2 years. We would have 2 years to convince him to stay

2 years of missing the playoffs would bring him back? Then again, with Kyrie, Hawks are probably in the playoffs. That would end the tank talk, but would alter our picks from top 10 to high teens/low 20s. Colonel Schlenk would need to hit homes runs with every pick (like I personally think he did with Collins) or we're just a treadmill early playoff exit team again. Hit home runs, or bundle all those picks to move up in the draft. As I said, intriguing.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

It can't just be 3 PGs swapped for each other right? Or has the price for Irving dropped since the whole league knows he wants out?

I would be weary about only having 2 years of Irving before he most likely leaves us high and dry, but he is a Superstar and wouldn't get too far in the way of a tank. Let's not forget that he did lead a team to the #1 pick before after being one himself.

Let's say the deal is Shro and 2 1st round picks... and we get Irving.  

After a year.. who is to say that we don't look to trade Irving if we feel like he won't resign?  At the end of his first year, I'd offer him an extension and if he didn't take it, he'd be traded and I would try to get picks for him.   Here's the thing... in the time that we have him... he will make season ticket holders happy.   The team we build around him would look better than if it were just Schro.   He's a name... and he's been to the finals and won it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hazer said:

2 years of missing the playoffs would bring him back? Then again, with Kyrie, Hawks are probably in the playoffs. That would end the tank talk, but would alter our picks from top 10 to high teens/low 20s. Colonel Schlenk would need to hit homes runs with every pick (like I personally think he did with Collins) or we're just a treadmill early playoff exit team again. Hit home runs, or bundle all those picks to move up in the draft. As I said, intriguing.

I'm not saying it would be a definite or even that the odds would be on our side. I'm just playing devil's advocate and saying that there is a chance.

• Premium Member

In all actuality, Irving would be the biggest star that we have ever brought in through trade or  FAcy,

Think about the stars we have brought in through trade or FAcy:

Nique, Deke, Joe Johnson, Shareef,  Sap...  

when you think about all those guys.

• None were the #1 pick overall. 
  • None had won an NBA Championship. 
  • None were only 25 years old. 

IF this were to happen, this would be the biggest acquisition in Franchise History.  If I'm Schlenk.. this is how I'm selling it and the fans should eat it up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

I'm not saying it would be a definite or even that the odds would be on our side. I'm just playing devil's advocate and saying that there is a chance.

Oh I know. And it's very tempting.

• Like 1

Does Kyrie buy into Budball, dish the rock more, up his dimes to 7 or 8 a game, improve his D like THJr? Or does Bud bend and coach to Kyrie's strengths. If Hawks U can do what it did for DMC, THJr, Menace, Sap, Kyrie has to be thinking it can elevate his game to the next (MVP?) level too. If The Beard can average over 10 dimes a game, Kyrie can manage 7 or 8.  25/8/4, a dude can dream can't he?

46 minutes ago, Diesel said:

In all actuality, Irving would be the biggest star that we have ever brought in through trade or  FAcy,

Think about the stars we have brought in through trade or FAcy:

Nique, Deke, Joe Johnson, Shareef,  Sap...  

when you think about all those guys.

• None were the #1 pick overall. 
  • None had won an NBA Championship. 
  • None were only 25 years old. 

IF this were to happen, this would be the biggest acquisition in Franchise History.  If I'm Schlenk.. this is how I'm selling it and the fans should eat it up. 

ROTY

All-Star MVP

3-pt Shootout Champ

• Premium Member

I don't want Irving. I don't like with  a passion point guards that are selfish and won't pass. I used to play point guard in college and it kills me to see that kind of play style. I'd rather keep Dennis.

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't want Irving. I don't like with  a passion point guards that are selfish and won't pass. I used to play point guard in college and it kills me to see that kind of play style. I'd rather keep Dennis.

Hasn't that been the main criticism for Dennis, though?

• Like 1