• Raised $390 of $700 target

2017 Dynasty Draft - Pick Selection and Discussion Thread

AHF

• Admin

Capstone's Crew Selects

Jae Crowder 6'8 SF/PF 

13.9ppg 5.8rpg 2.2apg 2.2 3pg

Image result for jae crowder dunk

Keeping with chemistry / defense guys ... we take this 3 and D threat.  

Jae bleeds for his team ... he gives it his everything and leaves it all on the court.  We can put him on any swingman and most power forwards and know the guy is locked down.

2.2 3s per game at a .398 clip is impressive and at the same time Crowder won't hesitate to take it to the hoop and dunk in your face.

We look forward to getting having Jae in our locker room and pumping everyone up and showing what heart really is.

Yet another versatile guy who spreads the floor and locks the opponents down ... it will be hard to guard this team and just try to score on the crew ... man

@AHF you are up

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm seeing some pretty flat value on the board and therefore with fewer teams and a deeper pool of talent, I'm willing to go off course for me and simply choose the greatest coach in the last 30 years of the game.  He is versatile having coached teams based around the post and around perimeter offense to rings.  He has been an innovator both on the floor and in the management of minutes and egos.  He knows our #1 pick Kawhi Leonard quite well and we have no doubt that he can work with the veteran and young talent on this team to buy into a winning gameplan and we are confident that he will be two steps ahead of the opposition.  There are younger coaches but there aren't any better ones and the difference here is much larger than the difference between any player on the board and the next guy we would take.  

If you want to build the next San Antonio, why would you look anywhere but at the top?  

Not sure anything more needs to be said. 

With our 9th round pick, the U-Niques select:

Gregg Popovich

19103757-mmmain.jpg

nba-san-antonio-spurs-championship-celeb

Welcome to the team Pop.

@HopefulHawksFanis back on the board!

Coach:  Gregg Popovich

PG:  Chris Paul / Markelle Fultz

SG:  James Harden

SF:  Kawhi Leonard

PF:  Blake Griffin / Myles Turner

C:  Joel Embiid / Clint Capela

• Like 4

3 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I don't get the hype about Gordon actually ... he is fun dunker but other then that ... what does he really do well?

Him, Whiteside, and Barnes would have completed my back up front line. I am not hyped about him but this late to get someone that is already a decent defender and young would work for me.

I don't think Miami's defense is just about Whiteside. It is a great team effort and Gordon is a part of that.

2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

whoops ... I was talking Aaron

I am talking about Aaron also.

• Moderators
Just now, lethalweapon3 said:

I got HHF until 2:18 PM Eastern, given the two-hour rule that would be attached to her second pick. Is that right?

~lw3

Yep.  Forgot about the second pick in giving that timeline.

• Moderators
Just now, AHF said:

Yep.  Forgot about the second pick in giving that timeline.

Silver lining for me, now that I finally have my Big Board and computer files back, is I've got time to get caught up on my player write-ups.

~lw3

• Like 2

Sorry everyone. I haven't checked in. I'm away from my computer so I'll have to make two quick picks on my phone with write ups later. Struggling a little because I wanted Gallinari or Crowder next. 

With my next pick I'll take...

Kyle Korver

He might be aging but he's invaluable as a leader/shooting coach. 

Eric Spoelstra

He proved his strength as a coach last season with the Heat who lost Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh but managed to barely miss the playoffs. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HopefulHawksFan said:

Sorry everyone. I haven't checked in. I'm away from my computer so I'll have to make two quick picks on my phone with write ups later. Struggling a little because I wanted Gallinari or Crowder next. 

Kyle Korver

He might be aging but he's invaluable as a leader/shooting coach. 

Eric Spoelstra

He proved his strength as a coach last season with the Heat who lost Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh but managed to barely miss the playoffs. 

What Spoelstra is doing in Miami without his previous star power is pretty good stuff. I think this is the same challenge another unnamed HC is going to be facing this season. Losing all-stars always test a coaches mettle and most get fired shortly after.

I think Eric has proven he knows what he is doing with his game planning while also demonstrating an ability to handle a few pretty big egos. Nice pick!

Given your picture, Korver was a no brainer :Korver:

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

We are going to go back to the well for some elite upside and balance that with a guy who is already an outstanding defender, has elite physical tools and is reputed to have the highest running motor in this year's draft class.  On offense, we think he is more of a work in progress but he wasn't too shabby there either shooting at over 51% from the field and nearly 38% from 3pt range.  Pop also loves the fact that he showed superior vision and passing skills for a wing during his one season in college bball.

As a freshman, he was 2nd team All-American and Conference Player of the Year so he was an instant impact addition.  The good news for him is that playing behind Kawhi Leonard and James Harden, he will have time to develop but his plus grade as a defender means it should be easy for him to be a valuable wing off the bench for the U-Niques.  For the future, he is one of the highest upside players in the last few drafts who could be a huge impact player league-wide when he hits his peak.  At a minimum, we expect he will be able to guard 2-4 down the road.

With our 10th round pick, the U-Niques are excited to add:

Josh Jackson

via GIPHY

SF:  Kawhi Leonard / Josh Jackson

@capstone21is up

Good to know that everyone approves.

Josh-joshua-jackson-21501440-500-230.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

We are going to go back to the well for some elite upside and balance that with a guy who is already an outstanding defender, has elite physical tools and is reputed to have the highest running motor in this year's draft class.  On offense, we think he is more of a work in progress but he wasn't too shabby there either shooting at over 51% from the field and nearly 38% from 3pt range.  Pop also loves the fact that he showed superior vision and passing skills for a wing during his one season in college bball.

As a freshman, he was 2nd team All-American and Conference Player of the Year so he was an instant impact addition.  The good news for him is that playing behind Kawhi Leonard and James Harden, he will have time to develop but his plus grade as a defender means it should be easy for him to be a valuable wing off the bench for the U-Niques.  For the future, he is one of the highest upside players in the last few drafts who could be a huge impact player league-wide when he hits his peak.  At a minimum, we expect he will be able to guard 2-4 down the road.

With our 10th round pick, the U-Niques are excited to add:

Josh Jackson

via GIPHY

SF:  Kawhi Leonard / Josh Jackson

@capstone21is up

Good to know that everyone approves.

Josh-joshua-jackson-21501440-500-230.gif

I have been wondering when a another player from the high flying rookie class would drop. Nice pick!

• Admin

Capstone's Crew next pick 

Brad Stevens HC 40yrs old

Brad%20Stevens%20hands%20up.jpg

The best coach not nick named Pops

Stevens is the perfect guy to lead this talented but young team.

Preaching defense and ball movement ... this describes how the 'Crew' plays to a T!   Stevens has shown that he can turn players who have been an after thought into stars ...  His player development allows him to get more out of his guys then is expected of them so just imagine what he does for this monster of a team!  

We are extremely excited to bring in this leader to take our team to the next level!

@Diesel is up

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Capstone's Crew next pick 

Brad Stevens HC

Brad%20Stevens%20hands%20up.jpg

The best coach not nick named Pops

Stevens is the perfect guy to lead this talented but young team.

Preaching defense and ball movement ... this describes how the 'Crew' plays to a T!   Stevens has shown that he can turn players who have been an after thought into stars ...  His player development allows him to get more out of his guys then is expected of them so just imagine what he does for this monster of a team!  

We are extremely excited to bring in this leader to take our team to the next level!

@Diesel is up

Man, I was hoping he would last so I could reference my two player connections in Bradley and Hayward. I was already forming a good byline for the pick!

Edited by Buzzard

• Admin
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

Man, I was hoping he would last so I could reference my two player connections in Bradley and Hayward. I was already forming a good byline for the pick!

I was taking a coach this round and then AHF took my first selection and Stevens was my obvious second.  I think he is prob the best coach in the NBA right now behind Pops

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I was taking a coach this round and then AHF took my first selection and Stevens was my obvious second.  I think he is prob the best coach in the NBA right now behind Pops

I think there are maybe five to ten ( at the most ) coaches who make a positive impact on win/losses The rest just weeble and wobble around trying to stay upright.

Edited by Buzzard

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think there are maybe five to ten ( at the most ) coaches who make a positive impact on win/losses The rest just weeble and wobble around trying to stay upright.

Yes, there are still a few good ones ... I personally think XXXXXXXXXXXXXX is one of them

• Like 1