• Raised $390 of $700 target

2017 Dynasty Draft - Pick Selection and Discussion Thread

AHF

• Admin
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

With the Next pick of the draft, the Atlanta Gansta Slappas select:

Eric Bledsoe 

b1f5d663024ccc951e939f9bf2d2c2d8_crop_ex

He may be traded to play with the King... to which I say.. Good..  But if not...

Per-Game Stats: 21.1 points, 4.8 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 1.4 steals, 0.5 blocks

He was my other choice ...  I think he is more suited to SG but can play PG in a pinch ... I like his versatility ... I would def start him ahead of Lou who is really more suited to a microwave type role

• Like 1

It is quite an eye opener to see the type of players people are getting for their bench. 9 Player league; this is very much like a fantasy draft with at least nine to ten quality starting players on a roster!

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, LucastheThird said:

My next selection will sure up some rebounding concerns our team may have:

ANDRE DRUMMOND

0367647001446649601_filepicker.jpg

Can easily interchange him, Horford, and Millsap to get the right front court to match up with some other teams.

@lethalweapon3 is up next

Not so fast, my friend! PSSSHHHRRR87 swooped in and got Drummond already. Give it another go!

~lw3

• Moderators

As is an annual tradition around this time of year, my computer goes Ka-blooie! So while I'm out of sorts for a bit, lemme quickly make my pick and move along!

With the 51st pick in the... okay, okay, it's Lonzo Ball (Point Guard, 6’6”, 190 lbs., Age 19 as of 10/1/2017)!

Lonzo Ball’s father lacks the professional polish and pedigree that his L-Flex mentor and fellow point guard’s father, Dell Curry, possesses. For this, and for more legitimate reasons, while Lonzo would be a scene-stealing starter on other teams, here in Lethalopolis, he gets a couple seasons to become a top-tier playmaking sixth man, soaking up tips along the way from Steph on how to become an MVP-caliber talent on the top line.

Lonzo, if you’ll excuse the pun, and you probably won’t, Balled-out in his Summer League debut in Las Vegas, being named MVP of the exhibition tournament in front of record-making capacity crowds eager to see him. Averaging a history-setting 9.3 APG, he displayed much of the court vision that was touted of him coming out of UCLA, both in halfcourt sets and downcourt in transition.

He also took time to average 7.7 rebounds, 16.3 points and 2.5 steals during the tourney. No Summer Leaguer had produced a triple-double since 2008, yet Ball came in and did it twice. Ball, who was rested for the league championship game but won MVP anyway, has already steeled himself to a lot of the pressure his fans, his comparative legends, his father, his younger brothers, and the family’s legions of critics, layer upon him.

Yet despite his sizable frame, Ball must improve his outside jumpshot to be able to play comfortably as a dual-threat alongside Steph Curry in L-Flex lineups. He also has to work on his lateral quickness to thwart dribble penetration by the league’s speedier, more agile guards.

But in the near-term, his exposure will be limited behind Curry, who can help him improve his handle on the court and handle the outsized expectations away from it. The challenges will be foremost whenever his frustrated papa LaVar issues a critical sound byte of Lonzo’s playing time and teammates, and an unequally unabashed Draymond Green succumbs to the urge to clap back in not-so-kind.

Keeping the mature Ball insulated from the silliness and the team focused on their on-court adversaries will be job one. If they can achieve that, it should become obvious that for Ball, it ain’t gotta be the shoes that makes him great.

@Buzzard's up to add a piece to his Flocking Good roster!

THE LETHAL FLEXIBILITY

PG: Wardell Stephen Curry II, Lonzo Anderson Ball

SG: James Khristian Middleton

SF: Benjamin Simmons

PF: Draymond Jamal Green

C: Nikola Jokic

~lw3

• Like 4

I am going into a win now mode with my team; so with that being said our next selection has participated in 99 playoff games including a trip to the NBA Championship in 2012. Serge is going to help anchor our front line and enable us to better match up with the small ball lineups that are trending in the NBA. Him Kat, and Whiteside will give us a defensive rotation that will be very hard to beat.

Please welcome to the Flock another defensive stalwart in Serge Ibaka.

serge-ibaka.jpg

@pimp is up next!

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I looked heavily at Serge as a backup for my last two picks.  It is strange seeing his per minute trends.

• He had 3 consecutive seasons of 10+ rebounds per 36 but has been less than 8 for his average for the last two seasons.  (RB% has similarly dropped)  
  • He had 4 consecutive seasons of between 3 and 5 blocks per 36 but has seen his combined average for the last two seasons as less than 2.  (Block % has similarly dropped)
  • His scoring has been pretty consistent the last few years but for efficiency he had 5 consecutive seasons of 54%+ FG% but has been below 48% over the last 3.  (His TS% has seen a similar but not quite as severe drop).
  • He had 3 consecutive seasons of 19+ PER followed by the last 3 seasons combined averaging a bit over 15.
  • He had 4 consecutive seasons in which he averaged nearly 9 win shares per season but the last 3 has averaged less than 5.5 WS.

If he can rebound to his old production, he is a steal here but not as much if he plays like the last couple years.  It is hard to understand as he should be entering his absolute prime.  Usually I would expect a major injury but he has been pretty healthy and his minutes have been largely consistent.

I think the pick makes sense in this range in the draft but I found  him to be a perplexing prospect to assess. 

14 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I am going into a win now mode with my team; so with that being said our next selection has participated in 99 playoff games including a trip to the NBA Championship in 2012. Serge is going to help anchor our front line and enable us to better match up with the small ball lineups that are trending in the NBA. Him Kat, and Whiteside will give us a defensive rotation that will be very hard to beat.

Please welcome to the Flock another defensive stalwart in Serge Ibaka.

serge-ibaka.jpg

@pimp is up next!

We also like the fact Serge has adapted to this new NBA and improved his 3pt shooting and shot a very respectable .391 and .389 his past two seasons.

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I looked heavily at Serge as a backup for my last two picks.  It is strange seeing his per minute trends.

• He had 3 consecutive seasons of 10+ rebounds per 36 but has been less than 8 for his average for the last two seasons.  (RB% has similarly dropped)  
  • He had 4 consecutive seasons of between 3 and 5 blocks per 36 but has seen his combined average for the last two seasons as less than 2.  (Block % has similarly dropped)
  • His scoring has been pretty consistent the last few years but for efficiency he had 5 consecutive seasons of 54%+ FG% but has been below 48% over the last 3.  (His TS% has seen a similar but not quite as severe drop).
  • He had 3 consecutive seasons of 19+ PER followed by the last 3 seasons combined averaging a bit over 15.
  • He had 4 consecutive seasons in which he averaged nearly 9 win shares per season but the last 3 has averaged less than 5.5 WS.

If he can rebound to his old production, he is a steal here but not as much if he plays like the last couple years.  It is hard to understand as he should be entering his absolute prime.  Usually I would expect a major injury but he has been pretty healthy and his minutes have been largely consistent.

I think the pick makes sense in this range in the draft but I found  him to be a perplexing prospect to assess. 

I did not put that much thought into but I did comparison shop. I took Whiteside earlier but still like Sege's 3pt shooting; and comparing to Horford he is close to equal except in the passing department. For this late, I agree good value.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators
Just now, Buzzard said:

I did not put that much thought into but I did comparison shop. I took Whiteside earlier but still like his 3pt shooting; and comparing to Horford he was equal except in the passing department. For this late, I agree good value.

I found myself pumped about him looking at his age and career averages but wary when I started looking at trends.  If his age is accurate, he should have plenty of time to bounce back to his highest levels of play.  If he does that, he went several rounds too late.  If he doesn't, he will still be a contributor at his numbers the last few years.  If he continues to fall off that is the only scenario where it could be regrettable.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I was trying to trade up to get Serge ... good pick

When I saw Blake ( expected not to see him ), Horford ( did not really expect him to make it ) and Turner go, I started sweating if Serge would make it back around. Turner and Serge were two I had hope for; and either this late would be fine with me.

I honestly don't know which I would have took if Turner and Serge were both available.

Edited by Buzzard

• Admin
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

When I saw Blake ( expected not to see him ), Horford ( did not really expect him to make it ) and Turner go, I started sweating if Serge would make it back around. Turner and Serge were two I had hope for; and either this late would have been fine with me.

I like him better for your team then Blake anyway ... a solid defender / role player off the bench that can play both PF and C.  Can spread the floor for the three and not try to do too much.  Understands his role.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I found myself pumped about him looking at his age and career averages but wary when I started looking at trends.  If his age is accurate, he should have plenty of time to bounce back to his highest levels of play.  If he does that, he went several rounds too late.  If he doesn't, he will still be a contributor at his numbers the last few years.  If he continues to fall off that is the only scenario where it could be regrettable.  

His offensive numbers have not dropped off and last season was his 3rd highest points per game in his career. His last two seasons have been his best for 3pt%. Much like Horford, I think a lot has to do what is being asked of him.

In OKC, he was clearly expected to carry the defensive role. Heck, he was their center probably 1/2 the time he was on the floor. The Raps need him mostly as a PF, so did the Magic.

• Moderators

I didn't say his ppg had dropped.   It is the efficiency that dropped as he went increasingly outside.  The 3pt improvement last year got him back near his earlier numbers after big drops the prior two (last year was .566% ts% versus earlier seasons of .612%, .579%, and .576%).  Last season was his career high for attempts and his second highest ppg (due to the failure to keep pace on efficiency).

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

I didn't say his ppg had dropped.   It is the efficiency that dropped as he went increasingly outside.  The 3pt improvement last year got him back near his earlier numbers after big drops the prior two (last year was .566% ts% versus earlier seasons of .612%, .579%, and .576%).  Last season was his career high for attempts and his second highest ppg (due to the failure to keep pace on efficiency).

OK, just saying him going outside has to do with being asked to go outside. OKC has been trying to find a taller center for years. The only one I can mention is Adams but others have been there as well. For what ever reasons, they clearly wanted Serge at PF, Durant at SF, and a 7ft Center. I think it is pretty self evident if you look at their draft picks and acquisitions starting back in 2013.

I am good with him and see no problems with him being my PF/C. I think that is a role that fits him best to be honest. My version of Draymond Green.

Edited by Buzzard

With the next pick in the draft, the Atl Air Force selects,  Andrew Wiggins
i_c9_33_52_andrew-wiggins.png?w=190 23PPG -  4RPG - 2.3APG - 45% FG

At only 22 years old he's already one of the leagues top scorers . Wiggins has a bright future in the nba . He's a future All-Star. We think that learning from a guy like Kevin Durant will help Wiggins take his game to the next level.

Edited by pimp
  • Like 3