• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2017 Dynasty Draft - Pick Selection and Discussion Thread

AHF

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Agree with all three of you. Horford does what his coaches ask and does a great job of it. I think Boston actually has a chance at beating the Cavs now. Maybe 2 to 1 against, but that is much better than what I would have gave them last season.

Nah , i doubt it.  The Cavs dominated the Celtics last season because of the same reason they dominated the Hawks in the past.
Rebounding!
The Celtics are a terrible rebounding team . Love and (cavs undrafted  center)  had their way with them.
Their best rebounder last season was (undrafted SG) , but they traded him

10 minutes ago, pimp said:

Nah , i doubt it.  The Cavs dominated the Celtics last season because of the same reason they dominated the Hawks in the past.
Rebounding!
The Celtics are a terrible rebounding team . Love and (cavs undrafted  center)  had their way with them.
Their best rebounder last season was (undrafted SG) , but they traded him

Well this year 2 to 1, maybe 3 to 1. Last season I would have given 50 to 1, and maybe even 100 to 1. Cavs D has not gotten better and Bostons offense has. That is not a good thing for the Cavs.

One more season of getting older and slower for Love and Bron. It will be interesting to see if Bron has a temper tantrum one more last time playing for Cleveland.

Edited by Buzzard

6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Well this year 2 to 1, maybe 3 to 1. Last season I would have given 50 to 1, and maybe even 100 to 1. Cavs D has not gotten better and Bostons offense has. That is not a good thing for the Cavs.

One more season of getting older and slower for Love and Bron. It will be interesting to see if Bron has a temper tantrum one more last time playing for Cleveland.

I would say that the Celtics D may have gotten worse. That undrafted SG I spoke of before, was the one guarding Kyrie , and any other team's best pg/sg , most of the time.

4 minutes ago, pimp said:

I would say that the Celtics D may have gotten worse. That undrafted SG I spoke of before, was the one guarding Kyrie , and any other team's best pg/sg , most of the time.

If they lose it will not be because of Kyrie slowing down on offense. I think Boston can give them a better run than the Raptors did two seasons ago; and if someone gave me 3 to 1 in a friendly little bet for about 10 to 20 dollars I would take Boston. So long as they are healthy that is.

• Moderators

In a move that could be brilliant or a disaster, we are going to add more health risk and more high ceiling talent to the team.  With the 4 spot still open, we see a 5 time All-Star and 4 time All-NBA PF coming off of his age 27 season where he put up a nice 22.6 PER to go with his .179 WS/48.   This former dunk champ has offensive versatility with some range on his jumper but the bulk to bang inside.  Plus, Paul already knows how to feed him to demoralize the opposition.

With the 44th pick of the draft, we are excited to select:

Blake Griffin

lobcity2.gif?w=1000

U-Niques

PG:  Chris Paul

SG:  James Harden

SF:  Kawhi Leonard

PF:  Blake Griffin

C:  Joel Embiid

@HopefulHawksFan is on the clock tomorrow morning

• Like 4

With my next pick, I select…

Otto Porter, Jr.

In 2016-17, Porter had a break out year with increases in almost every statistical category.  He does a little bit of everything with strong defense, good rebounding, and efficient scoring.  Last season he shot 43.4% from three making him a significant threat and helping to spread the floor for the rest of the guys.  He ranks in the 97th percentile as a spot-up shooter.  At only 23 years old, he is a valuable piece for many years to come. 

Washington Wizards forward Otto Porter Jr. shoots against the Los Angeles Lakers during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Danny Moloshok)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, AHF said:

In a move that could be brilliant or a disaster, we are going to add more health risk and more high ceiling talent to the team.  With the 4 spot still open, we see a 5 time All-Star and 4 time All-NBA PF coming off of his age 27 season where he put up a nice 22.6 PER to go with his .179 WS/48.   This former dunk champ has offensive versatility with some range on his jumper but the bulk to bang inside.  Plus, Paul already knows how to feed him to demoralize the opposition.

With the 44th pick of the draft, we are excited to select:

Blake Griffin

lobcity2.gif?w=1000

U-Niques

PF:  Blake Griffin

@HopefulHawksFan is on the clock tomorrow morning

I come so close to taking Blake my last pick but as you say it could be a disaster. He has played 7 seasons and only got in 80 games or more in 3 of them. His upside for a whole season is over the top with Paul gone now; if he can play one.

32 minutes ago, HopefulHawksFan said:

Otto Porter, Jr.

In 2016-17, Porter had a break out year with increases in almost every statistical category.  He does a little bit of everything with strong defense, good rebounding, and efficient scoring.  Last season he shot 43.4% from three making him a significant threat and helping to spread the floor for the rest of the guys.  He ranks in the 97th percentile as a spot-up shooter.  At only 23 years old, he is a valuable piece for many years to come. 

Washington Wizards forward Otto Porter Jr. shoots against the Los Angeles Lakers during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Danny Moloshok)

I like Porter as a good two way player. Not a lot of flash but plenty of grit.

WIth my next pick, I select...

Marc Gasol

Marc Gasol has always been a strong player.  He’s a good passer, can create his own shots, and is a strong defender in the paint.  But last season, he changed his game completely.  At 32 years old, he had gone 12-66 from behind the arc in all of his previous seasons combined.  In 2016-17, he attempted 266 three’s and connected on 103 of those for 38.7%.  He provides the perfect balance at the center position for this team.  We already have the young Steven Adams who provides physical play in the paint.  Gasol will bring more experience and floor spacing to this position. 

Image result for marc gasol

@AHF You're up again!

PS: This draft reminds me daily of how much I miss basketball....

• Like 4

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I come so close to taking Blake my last pick but as you say it could be a disaster. He has played 7 seasons and only got in 80 games or more in 3 of them. His upside for a whole season is over the top with Paul gone now; if he can play one.

80 is a pretty high threshold.  The U-Niques will rest him more than 2 games even if he is perfectly healthy.  I got comfortable with the idea that he has only played fewer than 60 games once.  With his upside, seemed like a good value at that spot in the draft.

• Admin
1 hour ago, HopefulHawksFan said:

Otto Porter, Jr.

I like Porter's game a lot.  Quality player

• Moderators

Having taken two super talents with health risks as our starting big men, we've decided to go back to the well to reinforce our bigs with a rising star who logged 81 games last season.  This young man wasn't old enough to drink when last season started but he was already an elite post defender, averaging over 2 blocks a game and falling in right behind Rudy Gobert on interior defensive metrics.

His entire game showed improvement over a strong rookie season with upticks in every stat category -- even adding 40 3pters last season to his already solid jumper.  Behind Towns, he has actually been the most productive pick in his draft class as well.  While Porzingis was the first drafted here, we feel good seeing this young man's superior numbers out of the NY spotlight last season:

KP  17.4 PER, 4.5 WS, .100 WS/48

MT  18.5 PER, 8.0 WS, .151 WS/48

While the offense is growing (increasing in both volume and efficiency), it is the defense that is most exciting for us.  Our 6th round pick was #2 in blocks last season and we see him wrecking offenses at both the power forward and center positions.  During minutes with last season's leader in block % (7.7% for Embiid compared to 6.4% for Gobert), let drivers beware

Myles Turner

tumblr_ob1gib45RG1u2klrwo1_500.gif

PF:  Blake Griffin, Myles Turner (PF/C)

@capstone21 is back on the clock!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Having taken two super talents with health risks as our starting big men, we've decided to go back to the well to reinforce our bigs with a rising star who logged 81 games last season.  This young man wasn't old enough to drink when last season started but he was already an elite post defender, averaging over 2 blocks a game and falling in right behind Rudy Gobert on interior defensive metrics.

His entire game showed improvement over a strong rookie season with upticks in every stat category -- even adding 40 3pters last season to his already solid jumper.  Behind Towns, he has actually been the most productive pick in his draft class as well.  While Porzingis was the first drafted here, we feel good seeing this young man's superior numbers out of the NY spotlight last season:

KP  17.4 PER, 4.5 WS, .100 WS/48

MT  18.5 PER, 8.0 WS, .151 WS/48

While the offense is growing (increasing in both volume and efficiency), it is the defense that is most exciting for us.  Our 6th round pick was #2 in blocks last season and we see him wrecking offenses at both the power forward and center positions.  During minutes with last season's leader in block % (7.7% for Embiid compared to 6.4% for Gobert), let drivers beware

Myles Turner

tumblr_ob1gib45RG1u2klrwo1_500.gif

PF:  Blake Griffin, Myles Turner (PF/C)

@capstone21 is back on the clock!

tenor.gif
He was gonna be my starting Center. :cry:

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

No he wasn't because he was my next pick :)

Mine too.  :biggrin:

(It was him or Blake for my last one so it was a no-brainer when he came back to me).

• Like 1

• Admin

Capstone's Crew selects:

Nicholas Batum 6'8 SG/SF

15.1ppg 6.2rpg 5.9apg 1.8 3pg 1.1spg

Trail-Blazers-Hornets-3-1024x927.jpg

The bench starts out with Versatility..

We just got a pretty complete player to be our sixth man.

The ability to score is a nice feature of Nicholas' game but that is not what we are excited about ... its that Batum at 6'8 handles the ball like a point guard and distributes like one ... he does and awesome job of running an offense and so when he comes in we know the team's offense is in excellent hands.  We now have three guys who will keep the engine running in Batum, Lowry and the Greek Freak.

An excellent rebounder, Nicolas also is an quality 3 point shooter where he hits 1.8 per game ... thus he can also spread the floor and play off the ball when needed.

Another important key about this acquisition is Batum's ability to defend.  We love how he is a stopper of the opposing team's SG, SF and even PG.  We could bring him in for Booker and basically shut down any opposing team with our power D lineup.

This is a chemistry guy and that is what our team is based on.  The crew just got scarier

@Diesel you are up

• Like 4