• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

16 minutes ago, davis171 said:

You are judging 20-23 yr olds please wait until they are at least 28ish to begin thank you. Gordon hayward had a negative bpm as a rookie don't want him either.

Wait until they are 28?  So, this is now the tanking strategy?  Bottom out the roster to get a 19 year old prospect, overpay said prospect on second deal, and then wait till he's 9-10 seasons into his career before making a decision on whether the pick has worked out?

• Like 1

Have loved Jamal Murray's game since he was in Big Blue. He's never going to be a good defender (the defensive complaints on him actually go back to then too), especially since he's much more of a SG than a PG but he is a really good offensive player.

I'd be happy trying to acquire him.

Thinking out loud a bit...the goal shouldn't necessarily "be" Murray, it should be to try to see if you can sign a good young player that a team might not be able to keep or just decide not to (for whatever reason). He's in the mix though...I'd hope to do that, bring in a couple of veterans (maybe keeping Dedmon) and while you have the veterans, the young players take favor...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Wait until they are 28?  So, this is now the tanking strategy?  Bottom out the roster to get a 19 year old prospect, overpay said prospect on second deal, and then wait till he's 9-10 seasons into his career before making a decision on whether the pick has worked out?

Yes to reach their ceiling. That doesn't mean they aren't good players the Wolves and Bucks are going to the playoffs this season, but to see what the player is truly going to max out at yes. What all time player was best at 22-23?

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

He's definitely not good, but I knew that would be the case before he was drafted.  Phoenix isn't going to win anything, because they have no winning players on their roster.  Booker is good, not great (too poor defensively to be great, but he's better than Wiggins, who sucks), but they have nothing else around him.  If Booker is your best player, you aren't going to be winning many games.  

Lol at least you are consistent. But any ways guess who’s been come along granted he had a rough start to the season. That would be mr Jackson. I would take him now on the hawks over many of our g league additions and some of our vets. Wiggins and booker the previous administration would do back flips over if they were on the hawks.  I’m not worried about either because they are young and have time to figure out the game. Kobe Bryant and others must have really been a buzzkill for you huh.

Edited by Royjr9

8 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

Lol at least you are consistent. But any ways guess who’s been come along granted he had a rough start to the season. That would be mr Jackson. I would take him now on the hawks over many of our g league additions and some of our vets. Wiggins and booker the previous administration would do back flips over if they were on the hawks.  I’m not worried about either because they are young and will figure it out.

Yeah, because so many who showed such poor defensive ability have figured it out when they were 25-26 years old and become all league defenders.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Thinking out loud a bit...the goal shouldn't necessarily "be" Murray, it should be to try to see if you can sign a good young player that a team might not be able to keep or just decide not to (for whatever reason). He's in the mix though...I'd hope to do that, bring in a couple of veterans (maybe keeping Dedmon) and while you have the veterans, the young players take favor...

Precisely, Murray is but an example.  There are plenty of teams that will fear crossing deep into the tax and few others that will require every penny they can find to put together offers to construct their own super teams.  Add to it an overall market that may be suppressed similar to what the MLB is facing and the Hawks are in an advantageous position as opposed to being on the outside looking in like always, having nothing but silly mantras such as "we like our core" or reductive analytics stating that if they just stick around 40 wins long enough they'll break through to a ring to soothe their feelings.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Precisely, Murray is but an example.  There are plenty of teams that will fear crossing deep into the tax and few others that will require every penny they can find to put together offers to construct their own super teams.  Add to it an overall market that may be suppressed similar to what the MLB is facing and the Hawks are in an advantageous position as opposed to being on the outside looking in like always, having nothing but silly mantras such as "we like our core" or reductive analytics stating that if they just stick around 40 wins long enough they'll break through to a ring to soothe their feelings.  

But, Schlenk’s an idiot @MaceCase

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, davis171 said:

Yes to reach their ceiling. That doesn't mean they aren't good players the Wolves and Bucks are going to the playoffs this season, but to see what the player is truly going to max out at yes. What all time player was best at 22-23?

Prime years are 25-31 if that is what you are asking for most players in sports. Age 26 is like the holy year for a baseball player but that's another story.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

PEANUT

BUTTER

JELLY

TIME!

:dance4:

~lw3

All good things must come to an end. Except in this case ten years of playoffs equaled zero titles, zero Finals, one token conference finals with zero wins and a whole lot of glass ceiling exits.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Prime years are 25-31 if that is what you are asking for most players in sports. Age 26 is like the holy year for a baseball player but that's another story.

Exactly Wiggins is just getting better. He has plenty of time to become an all time great even (not saying he will) with at least 10 years left baring injury or off court issues.

Edited by davis171
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I don't think there is a chance Wiggins will become an all time great at this point but he should get better than he is today.  KB is right in calling him out as having been overrated at the time of the draft but that is going to happen.  It would be shocking if talent evaluators in any sport nailed them at a super high %.  There are too many factors to consider to avoid getting it wrong sometimes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

All good things must come to an end. Except in this case ten years of playoffs equaled zero titles, zero Finals, one token conference finals with zero wins and a whole lot of glass ceiling exits.

Ten years of embarrassing playoff exits.  Even our ECF season was embarrassing—we had way too much trouble dispatching a bad Nets team and then meekly took a historical beating from the Cavs.  The worst out of those appearances was the historical beating from #2 Orlando when we were the third seed.  Then there were the numerous other sweeps by the Cavs.  Every year, the narrative was that we were no more than a speed bump for a real team.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

Ten years of embarrassing playoff exits.  Even our ECF season was embarrassing—we had way too much trouble dispatching a bad Nets team and then meekly took a historical beating from the Cavs.  The worst out of those appearances was the historical beating from #2 Orlando when we were the third seed.  Then there were the numerous other sweeps by the Cavs.  Every year, the narrative was that we were no more than a speed bump for a real team.  

This is why I consider this playoff streak a token achievement. Those teams were the literal definition of a playoff team that had no chance in ever actually winning a title.

• Like 3

Another sad reality of that streak is that those win totals would have probably only given us 3 or 4 playoff berths in the West. But we also would have been drafting higher every year in the West so that's something to consider. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, davis171 said:

Exactly Wiggins is just getting better. He has plenty of time to become an all time great even (not saying he will) with at least 10 years left baring injury or off court issues.

I think Wiggins can be an All Star if he buys in completely. My concern for him is that he's a Barry Sanders mentality but not giving the Barry Sanders production. Barry Sanders never liked football but he did it because he was very good and got paid well. Wiggins needs to give more than just scoring.

I like Wiggins and I think he could be playing on another level. He's young enough that he could definitely grow into that kind of player. I don't think he'll be an all time great but he could be a two way wing player that could be an All Star?  Yes, I do think he could do that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CBAreject said:

Well, now you will likely have 10 plus years of embarrassing losing, multiple seasons with 60 plus losses, and no hope for it to end anytime soon.

• Like 1