• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

3 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

This team is not supposed to win this year.  I am not upset by the losses ... its about development and future draft picks right now.

Proper player development doesn't happen in the absence of winning, and future draft picks don't help a team win.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yep.  It's much better watching this team when you go into every game knowing you have a chance to win.  This team, there are very few games where you know they have a chance to win.  

Folks thinking this rebuild is gonna work has about as much chance as winning the lottery.  

2 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Folks thinking this rebuild is gonna work has about as much chance as winning the lottery.  

Yep, but I'm not calling this a rebuild.  You at least attempt to be competitive during a rebuild.  This is a tank.  There is no desire on the part of this front office to even remotely be competitive.  

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

Yep, but I'm not calling this a rebuild.  You at least attempt to be competitive during a rebuild.  This is a tank.  There is no desire on the part of this front office to even remotely be competitive.  

I agree and that is what I mean........tank.  

I hate to be negative but it is what it is. 

• Admin
40 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Proper player development doesn't happen in the absence of winning, and future draft picks don't help a team win.

Player development can absolutely happen in the absence of winning.  It can happen when you bring in solid vets like Carter and Lin  along with guys like Baz to help the kids.

When did you become Hotlanta?  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Vol4ever said:

I would like for my team to be competitive into the playoffs.   I agree wholeheartedly that you have to have that Superstar buy I just don't see that happening anytime soon.  Heck I would like to turn on the TV and us be one of the better teams instead of turning on and know that we completely suck and one of the worst teams in the league.  

You can't have it both ways. You get a superstar by draft, trade or free agency. We will never get a superstar through two of those means. That only leaves the draft. The best way to increase your chance to grab that guy in the draft is it to tank.

I don't like watching a losing team either but the reality is what it is.

• Like 4

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You can't have it both ways. You get a superstar by draft, trade or free agency. We will never get a superstar through two of those means. That only leaves the draft. The best way to increase your chance to grab that guy in the draft is it to tank.

We aren't getting a free agent superstar but I wouldn't shut the door on a trade.  You just have to have assets to deal when that guy becomes available.  Think Houston dealing two lottery picks for Harden.  Harden wasn't a superstar at the time of the trade but he was a high potential young player who became available.  A few of those guys will become superstars.  If you have trade assets that teams looking to rebuild or reload covet, then that is possible.  Most of those trades over the years have involved lottery picks.

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, deester11 said:

So you're saying there a chance.....?..lol..I'll be watching and I despise losing but I'm not on the freak out train.  Carry on though.

I remember when we made the draft trade for Dominique Wilkins.   He is the closest thing to a superstar we have had with the exception of a old Moses Malone.  I remember when we got Moses to go with Reggie Theus, team had talent no chemistry.  I understand we are in the situation now and we have no control.  I along with many of you have been lifetime Hawk fans.   Just tired of not ever being in a NBA finals.  If Ted Turner was still the owner I do believe we would have gotten there, he just wanted to win and was willing to spend to get those players here................................we are 180 degrees from there now it seems. 

Just now, Vol4ever said:

I remember when we made the draft trade for Dominique Wilkins.   He is the closest thing to a superstar we have had with the exception of a old Moses Malone.  I remember when we got Moses to go with Reggie Theus, team had talent no chemistry.  I understand we are in the situation now and we have no control.  I along with many of you have been lifetime Hawk fans.   Just tired of not ever being in a NBA finals.  If Ted Turner was still the owner I do believe we would have gotten there, he just wanted to win and was willing to spend to get those players here................................we are 180 degrees from there now it seems. 

I stand corrected I left out Dr J who went to the ABA.  

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

So you're saying there a chance.....?..lol..I'll be watching and I despise losing but I'm not on the freak out train.  Carry on though.

About a 1/1024 chance of happening.

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

So, if tanking increases your chance of getting a superstar player, why hasn't every team that has ever drafted in the top 3 won a championship with the superstar they drafted?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Vol4ever said:

Moses was well past his prime when he arrived in Atlanta.  He was still an effective player (much better than Tracy McGrady in Atlanta, for example) but nowhere near peak Nique in Atlanta, IMO.  He was still masterful in getting to the line and grabbing rebounds off his own misses but overall he was several steps down from his MVP peak.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

The folks who are supporting this tank job believe that the team will be able to flip a switch and start contending for a championship just as soon as the "superstar" is drafted.  

6 hours ago, KB21 said:

The folks who are supporting this tank job believe that the team will be able to flip a switch and start contending for a championship just as soon as the "superstar" is drafted.  

Folks who dont support this tank job believe we could have flipped a switch and been competitive in the playoffs and had a chance at a ring before this. 

So both are wrong apparently?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KB21 said:

Not one person dictated this team would be good this year, the next whatever.  You sound like a politician with this "I told yall" shtick you play.  Do you post anything positive that you see?  Better yet, did you win the Mega Millions or a cool billion? If so, buy the team and put us all out of our misery.  

Like it or not, we're here.  Fans are wanting to find something to look forward to.  Does it stink? Yeah, but your constant bytching and complaining does what?

Anyway, the tank is fully equipped, gassed up and running accordingly.  The majority of us don't like it but realize we're in it.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, GThawks3 said:

I’m happy. Wanted to see Prince and Trae play well and they’ve surpassed my expectations so far. Need that to continue along with Collins taking the next step and the future in Atlanta has never looked brighter. 

Prince has been excellent scoring the ball.  Lesser role ballhandlimg seems appropriate and the D needs to improve pretty badly.  He has all the tools.