• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Search is over; Pierce is the man!

Buzzard

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Maybe he can breathe a little confidence in his boss (?).... hehe... 

Honestly, I disagree this assessment of Schlenk's demeanor. I honestly believe another poster who said that he is just plain dorky. Like another person pointed out, he's the same way on his softball radio show with Hugh Douglas and John Fricke. He's just socially awkward, and reportedly with a sarcastic sense of humor as well. I don't think his press conference persona is anything more than social awkwardness.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, parfait said:

Honestly, I disagree this assessment of Schlenk's demeanor. I honestly believe another poster who said that he is just plain dorky. Like another person pointed out, he's the same way on his softball radio show with Hugh Douglas and John Fricke. He's just socially awkward, and reportedly with a sarcastic sense of humor as well. I don't think his press conference persona is anything more than social awkwardness.

I don't disagree with the premise that he's "just plain dorky."

What your analysis is missing is that I'm asserting that there is a difference between his demeanor in his first couple of months on the job, and what we've routinely seen ever since.

23 hours ago, KB21 said:

I will not support a process that I do not believe in, and I believe nothing good comes from intentionally losing.  However, I'm curious to see your reaction when the 24 wins from 2017-18 becomes the 15-18 they will get in 2018-19?  Because this team is going to be historically bad in 2018-19.

Hmm, another bold statement based on ______?_____ facts.

They will have an improving front court that has already put up numbers (Collins and Prince).

A veteran backcourt with athleticism (Schröder and Bazemore).

The addition of veterans added either on 1 year deals or as salary dumps.

And a head coach who emphasizes defense, which is the easiest way to team improvement with lesser talent onboard.

All of that points to a slight increase in wins, to the upper 20's/low 30's.

Hardly  a backslide to some sort of "historically bad" win total in the teens.

Remember, the so-called "tank" is only a function of year one of a rebuild. That is now out of the way.

The goal moving forward is squeezing as many wins, and as much development, as possible out of a young core, without adding any bad contracts.

There is no further need to lose as part of the rebuild. That was the directive for Year 1 only.

That's how a proper rebuild works. You don't need a high lottery pick every year (which is what Sam Hinkie got wrong).

You just need multiple 1st-rounders, you need to hit on a majority of them, and then you develop them.

And that's all the Schlenk has preached from the beginning.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

I don't disagree with the premise that he's "just plain dorky."

What your analysis is missing is that I'm asserting that there is a difference between his demeanor in his first couple of months on the job, and what we've routinely seen ever since.

I don't know, I guess I just don't see a big difference.

Early on, he was uncomfortable as he was trying to outline his plans for the team.

Lately, he's been uncomfortable while detailing the breakup of their marriage to Bud, without divulging too many details.

Just two different versions of awkwardness.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Speaking of Press conferences....any word on when that'll be? I would assume Monday, then draft spot selection on Tuesday.

What I read said that they weren't going to announce it until the Monday presser, but that once it got out, Schlenk essentially said, "what the heck," and went ahead and made the announcement.

IN OTHER BREAKING NEWS....

Ressler will be leading the presser, accompanied by the new coach. Word is that Schlenk's wife's second cousin's barber is graduating, so he will not be able to attend.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;) )

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, parfait said:

I don't know, I guess I just don't see a big difference.

Early on, he was uncomfortable as he was trying to outline his plans for the team.

Lately, he's been uncomfortable while detailing the breakup of their marriage to Bud, without divulging too many details.

Just two different versions of awkwardness.

Disagreement is legal here.

But you're still wrong.

(*wink*... hehe....)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Anytime you can be considered to be in the mold of someone who has won as many championships as Stevens, that's saying something.

"Something" being the operative word.

I don't need to hear the yadayadayada hype, me. Just let this guy be himself, and let's see where it takes us.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your first sentence, but what championships have Stevens won?  

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you first sentence, but what championships have Stevens won?  

Exactly.

"Something" indeed is the operative word.

4 hours ago, sturt said:

Maybe he can breathe a little confidence in his boss (?).... hehe... 

I imagine his employed boss is a little more confident than Bud is right now. Suns no, Knicks no, the Bucks did not jump head first and hire him; so it looks like he is padding his hand by interviewing with the Raps. I have to think he will get hired but Bud is looking like a last man standing right now with all the jobs that have been filled.

All Bud and Schlenk kidding aside, I imagine Schlenk has already moved on and his focus is 100% on the upcoming draft. While our new coach is probably going over who he wants on his staff. Business as usual will probably be the theme for upcoming month before the draft. The media drama is over, it is time to go to work.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

So, if the Hawks new head coach was responsible for player development in Philadelphia, then what in the hell did he do to this kid's shot?  The 76ers have had two #1 overall picks in a row, and neither one have developed a jump shot.

So, if the Hawks new head coach was responsible for player development in Philadelphia, then what in the hell did he do to this kid's shot?  The 76ers have had two #1 overall picks in a row, and neither one have developed a jump shot.

I'll never understand how an NBA player is that bad shooting a basketball. It's not a hard skill to become competent in, you just need consistency. I'd hesitate to blame Pierce, there's no telling what influence he's had with each player.

2 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

I'll never understand how an NBA player is that bad shooting a basketball. It's not a hard skill to become competent in, you just need consistency. I'd hesitate to blame Pierce, there's no telling what influence he's had with each player.

We had Mark Price coaching shooting and free throws. A player has to be willing to accept change in their shooting motion and then be willing to shoot several hundred to a thousand shots a day. Otherwise nothing good is going to happen. Josh Smith anyone?

Price's last season, 2009/10, was also the one season Smith only took seven three pointers the whole season. That still did not help him at the FT line ( .618 ).

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

We had Mark Price coaching shooting and free throws. A player has to be willing to accept change in their shooting motion and then be willing to shoot several hundred to a thousand shots a day. Otherwise nothing good is going to happen. Josh Smith anyone?

Price's last season, 2009/10, was also the one season Smith only took seven three pointers the whole season. That still did not help him at the FT line ( .618 ).

Shhhh....there may be an agenda here...lol.  KB stretching for some negativity.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

That doesn't discount the fact that the 76ers have two young players who have major shooting woes, one of which was not a poor shooter when he was drafted, and neither have progressed as shooters under Lloyd's watch.

I'm just trying to figure out why there is this impression that Philadelphia under Lloyd Pierce has/had this great player development system.

I mean, to compare, Mike Budenholzer turned Paul Millsap from a traditional low post offensive player into a multi faceted offensive player that shot three point shots.  Who has Lloyd Pierce had a similar effect upon?

11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That doesn't discount the fact that the 76ers have two young players who have major shooting woes, one of which was not a poor shooter when he was drafted, and neither have progressed as shooters under Lloyd's watch.

I'm just trying to figure out why there is this impression that Philadelphia under Lloyd Pierce has/had this great player development system.

I mean, to compare, Mike Budenholzer turned Paul Millsap from a traditional low post offensive player into a multi faceted offensive player that shot three point shots.  Who has Lloyd Pierce had a similar effect upon?

Embiid ?

It's pretty widely known that Fultz's woes were from him listening to a guy not employed by the 6ers.  Simmons is a guy who thinks he's on Lebron's level and doesn't need a J.

Not sure how either of those issues is on our new coach but hey I'm new here.  Mayhaps I haven't figured out all the agenda'ng yet?

Lastly, at the end of the day, Coach Butt's gone and not comin' bak.  May be time ta pass tha 'get ovr it' juice?  I got a case o' red in the backseat.

• Like 2