• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pick #19 and #30

bleachkit

4 hours ago, Royjr9 said:

i whole hardly disagree. stash should be the last thing on schlenks mind. you have collins and prince and thats about it. now if the hawks move one of the picks in favor of moving up then thats another story but chances are you can prolly stay where you are in the draft and get comparable players. 

I agree,  this draft should be about bringing a cadre of guys that will compete like hell with each other and hold each other accountable. Build that  internally competitive culture, which will lead to wins, eventually (in theory).

At 19 if  Donte is there, you have to take him.  High motor, high flyer, and proven scorer from a winning program. Not sure you pass on that.

If the haul is good enough, I would be decidedly open to moving the 19th.   That said, the delta between the 19th and our 34th is no doubt massively less than what we would need to move up from 3rd to 1st than jettisoning the 34th for a 2019 1st would be dandy.

If memory serves, as it stands we have two 1sts for 2019 already and no doubt ours will be pretty dang good, but I definitely dig bringing up three 1st rounders as opposed to four and of course having a very high 2nd now and next year.  These 30-35ers are highly sought after.

Edited by Jungle Jack

18 hours ago, DrReality said:

Gotta think they’ll draft someone to stash overseas. 

I am not sold on us fielding four rookies either. But moving up with 19, 30, and/or 34 to field two or three is not out of the question to me.

3 hours ago, frosgrim said:

I agree,  this draft should be about bringing a cadre of guys that will compete like hell with each other and hold each other accountable. Build that  internally competitive culture, which will lead to wins, eventually (in theory).

At 19 if  Donte is there, you have to take him.  High motor, high flyer, and proven scorer from a winning program. Not sure you pass on that.

I love Donte. I would absolutely take him at 19. Great athlete, great motor, can dunk, can shoot the rock. That championship game was really just him scratching the surface. 

• Admin

I want to punch him in the face but I would like to take Grayson Allen with then30th or 34th pick .... I think he will have a solid career ... high bbiq, great fundamentals and a hard worker ... he is also surprisingly very athletic based on his combine results

18 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I want to punch him in the face but I would like to take Grayson Allen with then30th or 34th pick .... I think he will have a solid career ... high bbiq, great fundamentals and a hard worker ... he is also surprisingly very athletic based on his combine results

Agreed 100%

34 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Why do you want to punch him in the face? Stop being a sucker for contrived hero/villain narratives about players.

• Like 1

So, in some scenario, we could end up with Luka, Donte, and Greyson.  Not sure what the board would do, but Billy Knight would be I came up with that idea! 

Completely off topic- but I'm sitting down to breakfast in a Frankfurt hotel, and they are playing an acoustic, German remake of Freebird. That is some strange mixing of sounds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frosgrim said:

So, in some scenario, we could end up with Luka, Donte, and Greyson.  Not sure what the board would do, but Billy Knight would be I came up with that idea! 

Completely off topic- but I'm sitting down to breakfast in a Frankfurt hotel, and they are playing an acoustic, German remake of Freebird. That is some strange mixing of sounds. 

We would have more shooting with Donta and Greyson. Luka would have to be our de facto point guard. 

Just now, bleachkit said:

We would have more shooting with Donta and Greyson. Luka would have to be our de facto point guard. 

it actually might work, at least on offense. Defensively, that would be pretty bad for a while. 

With Dorsey already on the team, you really could have a ton of shooters, which isn't a bad place to be while your building up assets. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Why do you want to punch him in the face? Stop being a sucker for contrived hero/villain narratives about players.

He went to Duke which is an automatic strike against him; he pulls di** moves that violate the written and unwritten rules of the game; and his face looks super whiny most of the time.  

I don't mind him at 30 or 34 but I think he needs to improve his shooting to survive.  Athletic testing was good enough that he could make it.  I won't be excited about it but I won't criticize Schlenk too much for the pick.  

I definitely want Jontay Porter with one of those picks, though.

• Admin
14 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I HATE duke (UNC fan) and he is that guy like Riddick and Wojo who just drives me nuts when I watch them play ... however, you can't deny the talent and the fact that he is ready to contribute right away.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Bonkers said:

U guys really want the Hawks NOT to sell tickets lmao

More people viscerally hate the idea of Allen here than like it.  Very divisive potential pick.  I try to remove my bias as much as possible but I would not like it on a fan level.  Would come in negative and hope he won me over.  100% sure I'll root against him if another team drafts him.

• Like 1

Honestly depends on who rises and falls. Right now I'd like Lonnie Walker or Kevin Knox, but there are a lot of guys at #19 I'd be happy with. At 30 or preferably 34 I definitely want Isaac Bonga if he's still available. That's my favorite sleeper in this draft.

Ya he’s a punk but he tested out athletically which compares to a Mike Miller lite in my eyes. Miller was one pick before us in the 2000 draft, we had 6th...ugh..I remember I was studying the draft via a newspaper..yes I realize the internet was available but I was going to Vegas and cell phones weren’t as good. I wanted Mike Miller. I’ll take Grayson at 30. He’ll be my Laimbeer on the Hawks in the 80’s...if he’s in the league, let his cheap a$$ be on your side philosophy on this one.

ps I met Alexandra Paul from baywatch at the airport in Vegas.

All about potential in this draft....

19 - Khyri Thomas, Lonnie Walker, Troy Brown, Dzanan Musa, Donte DiVincenzo, Jontay Porter, Zhaire Smith, Chandler Hutchinson

30 and 34 - Elie Okobo, Anfernee Simons, Kevin Huerter, De'Anthony Melton, Grayson Allen, Trevon Duval, Jalen Brunson, Jevon Carter, Shake Milton, Jacob Evans, Josh Okogie, Rawle Atkins, Hamidou Diallo, Isaac Bonga

15 hours ago, AHF said:

More people viscerally hate the idea of Allen here than like it.  Very divisive potential pick.  I try to remove my bias as much as possible but I would not like it on a fan level.  Would come in negative and hope he won me over.  100% sure I'll root against him if another team drafts him.

Why do white people hate white players so much? There is this bizarre white self-loathing. that comes out as rage against certain white players. On the Dan Lebatard show there was a segment about Greyson Allen, and they were saying they hated him from the moment they saw him. Never in a million years would they say that about a black athlete.

54 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Why do white people hate white players so much? There is this bizarre white self-loathing. that comes out as rage against certain white players. On the Dan Lebatard show there was a segment about Greyson Allen, and they were saying they hated him from the moment they saw him. Never in a million years would they say that about a black athlete.

Going down a third rail!  Not sure if it is loathing so much as (hopefully) most people believing that if a player were purple for instance that provided it was the best performer than that is who would be taken.

I personally think it is the Duke thing which to me is primarily a bunch of folks from NJ coming down to NC and trying to act out their Faulkner dreams by switching over to sweet tea and the like whereas UNC is massively in state.  Duke and especially their "grittier" type players have been tough to like (unless they play on your team) for decades.