• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who makes Prince and Collins better among these higher draft candidates?

JTB

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

This may be a stupid question but why are we looking at 4s with Collins anyway?

BPA, positionless basketball (G, Wing, Wing, Big, Big), small ball, etc.

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

This may be a stupid question but why are we looking at 4s with Collins anyway?

It’s not popular opinion but while Collins is decent. Is he a player that will be an al time great prolly not.  He’s a solid guy but I’m much more positive on a couple other guys ceilings. 

21 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

It’s not popular opinion but while Collins is decent. Is he a player that will be an al time great prolly not.  He’s a solid guy but I’m much more positive on a couple other guys ceilings. 

I completely agree.  If you can find a guy who is better than Collins, you go and get him.  The last thing we need to do, is fall in love with players who may or may not become star level players.   I personally have no problem with playing Bagley beside Collins, and see who turns out to be the better asset.  Heck. maybe both turns out to be very good assets that could solidify our front line for years to come.

On the flip side, I also have no problem taking Young and keeping Dennis for at least one season.  If we do take Young, the last thing we need to do is sell off Dennis, before we truly know what we have in Young.   

If we're following the "true" Golden State model, they didn't split up the Monta Ellis - Stephen Curry pairing, until they were sure that Curry could take over the reigns AND that Ellis could fetch them the defensive talent that they needed.

• Like 2

Our collective Marvin PTSD is pretty fierce.  While he certainly did not become the player we hoped he would be, he is still playing all these years later.  Shelden is the one that seems the most egregious to me.  That said, will always be a personal hero for managing to be a NBA lottery pick who still scored alimony from his ex-wife.  Still blows my mind.

I think Doncic would be the best plug and play for the roster that will be available at 3.  Still praying we do what it takes to get Ayton but seems unlikely.   Trae strikes me as far more boom or bust than JJJ but gosh could the boom associated with Young be seismic.

We have such an absurd number of draft picks that I must admit to not following the 19th and 30th picks nearly as much.  However, I still would be shocked if we ended up with 3, 19, 30, and 34 when all is said and done.

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I completely agree.  If you can find a guy who is better than Collins, you go and get him.  The last thing we need to do, is fall in love with players who may or may not become star level players.   I personally have no problem with playing Bagley beside Collins, and see who turns out to be the better asset.  Heck. maybe both turns out to be very good assets that could solidify our front line for years to come.

On the flip side, I also have no problem taking Young and keeping Dennis for at least one season.  If we do take Young, the last thing we need to do is sell off Dennis, before we truly know what we have in Young.   

If we're following the "true" Golden State model, they didn't split up the Monta Ellis - Stephen Curry pairing, until they were sure that Curry could take over the reigns AND that Ellis could fetch them the defensive talent that they needed.

Here's the problem with this approach.  You can say this about any young player you take in this draft.  So, let's say the Hawks draft Marvin Bagley in this draft because of the perception that he is better than Collins, even though that perception is based completely on pre college hype rather than actual evidence.  Next year, Charles Bassey comes out, who is a far more skilled player and better defender than Marvin Bagley.  So, next year, are you taking Bassey because he is a better prospect?

At some point, you have to actually build a team.  People want to convince themselves that Collins is not really a great prospect at this point because he was drafted 19th.  If he had been drafted 5th, most wouldn't even consider replacing him with Bagley.  

Here's the problem with this approach.  You can say this about any young player you take in this draft.  So, let's say the Hawks draft Marvin Bagley in this draft because of the perception that he is better than Collins, even though that perception is based completely on pre college hype rather than actual evidence.  Next year, Charles Bassey comes out, who is a far more skilled player and better defender than Marvin Bagley.  So, next year, are you taking Bassey because he is a better prospect?

At some point, you have to actually build a team.  People want to convince themselves that Collins is not really a great prospect at this point because he was drafted 19th.  If he had been drafted 5th, most wouldn't even consider replacing him with Bagley.  

I agree with this completely. Collins has established himself as a future starter in the NBA at minimum. Taking Bagley when there are other players that fit would be minimizing somebody's potential. That's how you become the Sixers.
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
46 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I agree with this completely. Collins has established himself as a future starter in the NBA at minimum. Taking Bagley when there are other players that fit would be minimizing somebody's potential. That's how you become the Sixers.

The Sixers are in pretty good shape right now though lol I wouldn’t say I don’t wanna be in their situation.

You don’t skip over a Jayson Tatum because you have a Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart. 

The Sixers are in pretty good shape right now though lol I wouldn’t say I don’t wanna be in their situation.

You don’t skip over a Jayson Tatum because you have a Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart. 

I don't want to go through 5 years of being the worst team in the NBA just to have a bunch of great lotto picks with no guarantee of your future. It worked out but if Embiid or Simmons has future injury problems how will Philly fans feel then. Any rebuild shouldn't take longer than 3 years if you look ahead and draft properly. You just need to identify the talent worth tanking for and commit to losing games.

And the Celtics we're right to take Tatum, he was the best player on the board. Had their been an equivalent big man available though I'd say they should have went with him. This year we likely have a choice between 2 centers a power forward and a maybe 2 guards. I'd say go center because as prospects they are not that far apart.

25 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I don't want to go through 5 years of being the worst team in the NBA just to have a bunch of great lotto picks with no guarantee of your future. It worked out but if Embiid or Simmons has future injury problems how will Philly fans feel then. Any rebuild shouldn't take longer than 3 years if you look ahead and draft properly. You just need to identify the talent worth tanking for and commit to losing games.

And the Celtics we're right to take Tatum, he was the best player on the board. Had their been an equivalent big man available though I'd say they should have went with him. This year we likely have a choice between 2 centers a power forward and a maybe 2 guards. I'd say go center because as prospects they are not that far apart.

You realize that regardless of who you choose you still run the risk of going 5 years with a bottom of the rankings team. Contending for a championship takes a star presence, you can keep take the safe picks and build a team of solid players in their roles (which we’ve already done) but you’ll. Still most likely lose to teams with star players on them.

1 hour ago, Jungle Jack said:

Our collective Marvin PTSD is pretty fierce.  While he certainly did not become the player we hoped he would be, he is still playing all these years later.  Shelden is the one that seems the most egregious to me.  That said, will always be a personal hero for managing to be a NBA lottery pick who still scored alimony from his ex-wife.  Still blows my mind.

I think Doncic would be the best plug and play for the roster that will be available at 3.  Still praying we do what it takes to get Ayton but seems unlikely.   Trae strikes me as far more boom or bust than JJJ but gosh could the boom associated with Young be seismic.

We have such an absurd number of draft picks that I must admit to not following the 19th and 30th picks nearly as much.  However, I still would be shocked if we ended up with 3, 19, 30, and 34 when all is said and done.

The Duck PTSD isn’t based on his longevity as a decent NBA player. It’s that we passed on CP3 for him. Sound familiar? It does. JJJ at 3 over Doncic, Très, or Bamba.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Has nothing to do with him being drafted 19th. Can you honestly say you will be winning a championship with Collins. Like I said no hate he’s good and all but it’s not like he went all Lebron and is untochable.  Completion breeds excellence. And I see neither losing value as you can move anyone of them for the right price.  That’s why I asked the question I asked. Prince ancd Collins are great but are we building around them or hoping they fit around who we take. 

1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Drafting fit will get you in trouble more so than best player available despite what KB says. Okaker flamed out but then he wasn’t really given a chance and any hope he had of being decent eroded with him riding the pine.

1 hour ago, Flight said:

You mean Celtics but I whole hardly agree. Ainge is not to take a player because he has X. He prioritizes taking the best talent. And all last year you heard can’t miss and most complete. If you here those words you should be worried. I want the guy getting scrutinized cause they turn out to be pretty good.

23 minutes ago, Flight said:

You realize that regardless of who you choose you still run the risk of going 5 years with a bottom of the rankings team. Contending for a championship takes a star presence, you can keep take the safe picks and build a team of solid players in their roles (which we’ve already done) but you’ll. Still most likely lose to teams with star players on them.

This. Sometimes you got to swing for it. Which is why I  have stated wether they take bagley or jjj I will be fine. But I also don’t agree with the notion that Jjj is a safe prospect like many claim.

9 hours ago, GThawks3 said:

Bamba’s not my first choice but lol at non shooter.

Bamba did not shoot like this in the games.  I saw Dwight Howard shoot like this in warm-ups, however, it never translated to actual games.  Warm-up and workout film are misleading in my opinion.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jeffery123 said:

Bamba did not shoot like this in the games.  I saw Dwight Howard shoot like this in warm-ups, however, it never translated to actual games.  Warm-up and workout film are misleading in my opinion.  

I agree. I’m not saying he’s a good shooter just not a non shooter like kb21 said. 

9 hours ago, GThawks3 said:

Doncic can not shoot or pass as well as Trae. 

I'll go on record saying I disagree with both of these. Young has a little more flash as a passer but Doncic is clinical, like a 6'7 CP3.

I think Young will be a better shooter on wide open 3s, and maybe a better 3 point shooter period, but Doncic gets better rise on his jumper and has a better handle so I believe he'll be WAY better than Young from midrange and at the rim because of Young's low release.

And for all this talk of being unathletic, Doncic is a similar athlete to Young but he's half a foot taller lol.

The more I watch Doncic I've put him ahead of Bagley, he's legit and should go number 1

• Like 4

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I'll go on record saying I disagree with both of these. Young has a little more flash as a passer but Doncic is clinical, like a 6'7 CP3.

I think Young will be a better shooter on wide open 3s, and maybe a better 3 point shooter period, but Doncic gets better rise on his jumper and has a better handle so I believe he'll be WAY better than Young from midrange and at the rim because of Young's low release.

And for all this talk of being unathletic, Doncic is a similar athlete to Young but he's half a foot taller lol.

The more I watch Doncic I've put him ahead of Bagley, he's legit and should go number 1

I’m all on board with Doncic too.  I view him as the better passer / offensive orchestrator in comparison to Young but Young as the better shooter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeffery123 said:

As someone who watched Dwight in numerous warmups, this just wasn't true. He might have shot well in cut up clips. He never shot all that well everytime I've seen him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

Eh. Doncic isn’t the better ball handler or passer. The reason athletic concerns are lower with Young vs Doncic is because college athletes are more athletic. Young plays against potential NBA players and Doncic plays against NBA rejects. Young is the better shooter by far. Doncics mid range and ability around the rim is better.

• Like 1