• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did the Hawks make a mistake.....

Diesel

• Moderators

If you get mediocre too quickly then you will lack the assets to get over the hump.  Your worst case scenario is this team gets good enough to be a 8-10 seed for a few years and never contends before quickly dropping back down.

You need to wait until you are ready to go for it before investing in someone like him.  And I say that as someone who thinks a lot of Boogie’s talent.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you get mediocre too quickly then you will lack the assets to get over the hump.  Your worst case scenario is this team gets good enough to be a 8-10 seed for a few years and never contends before quickly dropping back down.

You need to wait until you are ready to go for it before investing in someone like him.  And I say that as someone who thinks a lot of Boogie’s talent.

Honestly... When Healthy Boogie may be the best player in the NBA.  Period.  25/13/5... shooting 35% from 3.   That's crazy. 

I say respect his injury... but if we had offered him a 3 year max...  in 2 years, we have the best player in the league under contract. 

The problem with the slow rebuild is that it loses the possibility of getting other free agents.  Look at Milwaukee.   They have Greek Freak but nobody to pair with him from Free Agency.   Look at New Orleans.   Anthony Davis with no help.  The slow rebuild forces a team to go out and trade.   The fact that We didn't call Boogie tells me we missed an opportunity. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Naw, Achilles injury is really bad. Nobody made him a strong offer.

Exactly.   It's a trust issue.  We would have had to trust that he could come back from it.   It would have been a feather in the cap of the Emory collaboration if he could have come back healthy.  It would have been even better if he were a Hawk at 100%.  No player of his calibre would ever sign with us otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Yes I think we did. Could've brought him back slowly in January to maintain the tank for one more year.

January.. Hell, next year.  Make sure he's right. 

9 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Yes I think we did. Could've brought him back slowly in January to maintain the tank for one more year.

It was almost a perfect scenario to land a star on the cheap. 

I say let him take even more rine and bring him back after rhe all star break and win about 35 games and let the youngins grow and develop. Then hit the draft for a SF or SG and chase 1 more decent or big name FA to pair with Boogie to go with the rest of our young talent. 

Muscala and Dedmon comes off the books and trade Dennis to clear up cap space, maybe even Baze with assets attached. Not to mention Jamal Crawford comes off the books. That's enough cap space to really push for someone major, even if you're pushing towards LT territory. You go big when the opportunity presents itself.

But Boogie wasn't signing here with Dennis still on board. They have got into it damn near every time they play each other, well at least 3 times.

Lost opportunity. But that is water under the bridge now. What could've been a quick rebuild.

• Like 2

Just now, JCDBaptist said:

It was almost a perfect scenario to land a star on the cheap. 

When I say cheap, I'm talking 25-30 mil a year. But Boogie probably don't take a discount to come rebuild. He is betting on himself to get back to form. That is why he took a 1 year, 5 mil deal. Wouldn't have happened for Atlanta.

Dream on Hawks fans!!

Boogie is the most talented center in the league and did not demonstrate any of that diva behavior in NO.  We should have rolled the dice for that type of player. Young players plus good vets make a good team.  

A rebuild is not determined by time but by talent on a team.  Boogie would have increased the talent threshold for the Hawks. However, I don’t believe the hawks would have received the discount that GSW did. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeffery123 said:

Boogie is the most talented center in the league and did not demonstrate any of that diva behavior in NO.  We should have rolled the dice for that type of player. Young players plus good vets make a good team.  

A rebuild is not determined by time but by talent on a team.  Boogie would have increased the talent threshold for the Hawks. However, I don’t believe the hawks would have received the discount that GSW did. 

Most definitely would not. That discount was to get a ring while rehabbing back to form. They definitely don't have tovrush him back AND there is no pressure to perform immediately. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

Not going after DeMarcus Cousins?

Let's say we would have given him the max over 3.  What would have been the harm?

The mistake that was made was the decision to tank.  Everything after that is just a symptom of the original mistake.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Diesel said:

Honestly... When Healthy Boogie may be the best player in the NBA.  Period.  25/13/5... shooting 35% from 3.   That's crazy. 

I say respect his injury... but if we had offered him a 3 year max...  in 2 years, we have the best player in the league under contract. 

The problem with the slow rebuild is that it loses the possibility of getting other free agents.  Look at Milwaukee.   They have Greek Freak but nobody to pair with him from Free Agency.   Look at New Orleans.   Anthony Davis with no help.  The slow rebuild forces a team to go out and trade.   The fact that We didn't call Boogie tells me we missed an opportunity. 

I disagree completely. Boogie is not even close to the best player in the NBA . He is the Westbrook of bigs, meaning his numbers look a whole lot better than  what the actual value he provides in Wins and Loses. is Advance stats don't like Boogie, and that doesn't even take into account the intangibles, (he is basically Josh Smith from the kneck up). His TS%  of 54%  for his career is poor for a center, his usage rate is enormous as is his turnover rate, his value on defense is decent when he is trying but he takes plays off regularily. He argues with refs all game long, blames teamates when things go wrong, and overall displays a complete lack of accontability on the court and off of it. New Orleans actually played better after he got injured which no doubt contributed to their complete lack of desire to offer him big money. 

DeMarcus Cousins has never played in a playoff game. And the one team he was on that did make the playoffs, he was on IR. And now he's coming off an Achilles injury? Yeah, that's a no thanks from me. 

Cousins would potentially be the best free agent we've ever signed. The Achilles is concerning, but if he sucks, then we can move on after two years. This cap space is going to do nothing for us now, I would've rather taken a swing on an All-NBA caliber player.

11 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Cousins would potentially be the best free agent we've ever signed. The Achilles is concerning, but if he sucks, then we can move on after two years. This cap space is going to do nothing for us now, I would've rather taken a swing on an All-NBA caliber player.

Mutombo 96...jj 2005...we haven’t signed many but those two better than Cousins.

• Like 1