• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins--Karl Malone 2.0?

Wurider05

I rewatched all of the SL games so far and dude is reminding me of Karl Malone with the way he is playing. Ironically, one of the announcers made the comparison between the two.  Need to see a little more of his mid range game but that 3ball is looking solid and he has good form. He isn't a skilled offensive yet but he is getting there. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

I rewatched all of the SL games so far and dude is reminding me of Karl Malone with the way he is playing. Ironically, one of the announcers made the comparison between the two.  Need to see a little more of his mid range game but that 3ball is looking solid and he has good form. He isn't a skilled offensive yet but he is getting there. 

John is more of an athlete... Malone was more skill

• Like 1

We continue to read about how terrible that this season's Hawk team will be.  Yep.  I agree.  Atlanta will not be great.  Too many growing pains in our near future.

But, on the other hand, I can't believe that the Hawks will be as terrible as some seem to think.   We have every player that finished the season with the team.  Add the three teenager draft picks to the mix.  Right now, they are green.  They have so much to learn.  Think of the two draft picks we added last year.

From last year's finishing roster, we must subtract three to add in our draft picks.  Then, there is that other player we expect to add on the deal to relieve someone of their very expensive cap relief.  That's four gone.

Last season, Atlanta had several G league players up and down.  Who do you suppose we will have when the regular season opens?

Collins is a lot like Malone. He's not physically like Malone and Malone is not athletically like Collins. Both are excellent rim runners who work tremendously hard to improve their game. Both have high BBIQ and both really don't create for themselves that well. Both defensively are just decent. Not good in space but good protecting the rim. Both are elite in space on offense. Both have a great touch. Both have plus shooting potential. Both have focal point mindsets. Both want to be great. 

I used to think he was Shawn Kemp 2.0 but his skill level is better and his BBIQ is much better. I think I was going by the stats too much. How much he lived around the paint. 

Yeah, Collins without Young was probably gonna be a 20-22 guy. Now with Young, sky is the limit. Collins could lead the league in scoring. The sky is the limit. We look like the modern day Utah Jazz. Just too young now. Maybe better. I still think we need the center of the future. Not sure Spellman is that guy. He's a PF.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

Now why did you do this? Everyone here knows @NBASupes is the expert on all Karl Malone comparisons. 

Now that's a good one, LucasDoncicTheThird.

(hehe)

9 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

...if you couldn't tell ... that was sarcasm 

... if you gotta eggsplain the joke ...

• Like 1

The Mailman is so old school, Johnny is new.  I like to think of him on a sliding scale between Blake and Amare.  

Better effective shooting as a rookie than both as third year players (both All Stars).  His shot selection and overall feel for playing in a team offense was advanced as a rookie.  Hands always ready to catch, always a quick move.

Better shot blocker than Blake but not Amare.  None of them have that Al Horford-like positioning and help sense though.  He can be as good as he wants as far as switching.  I don’t know.

Jumpshot form and FT% project he’ll develop a reliable three much faster than Blake, who maxed out just last season at 5 attempts, .348.  Amare didn’t take any but had a great mid range and was excellent at the line during his peak.

Blake was the far better passer than both but John has shown flashes of being a playmaker from the top of the circle.

Surprisingly Amare never averaged over 10 boards.  Injuries dropped Blake to a career 9 per after averaging 12 in his first 2.  With more minutes John’s gonna stay around 9. He boxes out well but could get better.

As John ages his offensive efficiency should explode.  Just like those two (and even including Deandre), playing with a great passer like hopefully Trae turns out to be, mistakes on offense are virtually eliminated while the explosiveness is maximized.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

No that was Al Horford.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Flight said:

I feel like Karl was also a lot bigger in mass but JC has more finesse and athletic ability. I'm loving the 3 pt shot being added to JC's game, I really feel like he can develop into a star.

Agree with this except the star part.  I think he will be a good player though.