• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rebuild patience.........

Vol4ever

Oh boy! Hmmmmm

for me personally it just depends on how quickly these guys take off. You can definitely put up good  stats and not make the playoffs. Now that may be more so a factor in the West and not the east but the fact is, is that it is possible.

So to answer the question for me, once Young, Collins, Prince are showing out on the box score I’m going to be expecting wins to be a result of it as well.

i don’t want to see Collins for example JUST putting up Minnesota T Wolves Kevin Love stats but struggle to win games and never make it in the playoffs.

......before anyone say anything keep in mind that I am more so towards the analytics side of things . Not to say I’m ignorant about it but good stats SHOULD equal out to wins for most teams.

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JTB said:

Oh boy! Hmmmmm

for me personally it just depends on how quickly these guys take off. You can definitely put up good  stats and not make the playoffs. Now that may be more so a factor in the West and not the east but the fact is, is that it is possible.

So to answer the question for me, once Young, Collins, Prince are showing out on the box score I’m going to be expecting wins to be a result of it as well.

i don’t want to see Collins for example JUST putting up Minnesota T Wolves Kevin Love stats but struggle to win games and never make it in the playoffs.

......before anyone say anything keep in mind that I am more so towards the analytics side of things . Not to say I’m ignorant about it but good stats SHOULD equal out to wins for most teams.

They just need to not be looking at the counting stats as much as the efficiency stats.  It is easy to score 20 ppg on 18 fga but much more conducive to winning to score 16 ppg on 9 fga.

• Like 3

Only because I've been seeing so many Trae/Steph Atl/GS comparisons... The Warriors returned to the playoffs in Steph's fourth season (note he missed most of his third season). I think that's a reasonable timeline for us -- perhaps a year sooner given the East/West (im)balance.

I think most of us here would echo @turnermx in that we'll be riding with the Hawks regardless of how long the rebuild takes.

• Like 1

After next years draft, I hope we make the right veteran additions where we will be competing for a playoff spot. We may not be good enough at that point, but I think we should shift from rebuilding to competing at that point. With 2 potential lottery picks, if we can’t pick up talent to complement our roster then we try to make ourselves a FA destination.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

After next years draft, I hope we make the right veteran additions where we will be competing for a playoff spot. We may not be good enough at that point, but I think we should shift from rebuilding to competing at that point. With 2 potential lottery picks, if we can’t pick up talent to complement our roster then we try to make ourselves a FA destination.

Yes.  We should be in the playoffs next year in the east.   Or at least fighting for it.   I know year 3 is more reasonable but i can hope.  6 years just to get to the playoffs in the east should get CLP or TS or both fired.

• Like 2

The big thing for me will be progression.   When we bottomed out the team in 2004, we made a steady climb until we got that 8th seed.

Having said that, if we're not there by Year 3, ownership will have some heads rolling anyway.   So you would like to see us be at 30 - 35 wins this season, instead of dropping back to 20 wins.  A fall back will mean that digging out of this hole will be much more difficult than people believe.

:aggressive:

Eternal optimist.  With King James gone west, why wait?  We have drafted three players, thought to be very capable scorers.  We, the Hawks, already had some pretty good offensive minded players.  Therefore, we of the mind that scoring just might be possible for this season's team.  They may even be able to hit free throws!

Lloyd Pierce is noted as a defensive minded head coach and have assistant coaches who are also of this same mind set.  I have to believe that our present Hawk team consists of players who have a high IQ and will be able to learn how to play a passable defense.

This Hawk team is, for the most part, very young.  They are capable, aye, even expected, to still be growing as young men.  While they are doing this, we expect them to be growing as NBA players.  Remember, draft pick #1 and draft pick #2 both went west.  Hawks are in the east.  See what happened?  Our #3, which became Trae and another first round pick, was the first pick coming east!

Our three teen aged picks will be full of energy and willing to learn.  Our players from last season aren't that bad, in spite of what we may read.  Regardless of which NBA team we look at, the health of their team must be considered.  If this year's Hawk team remains healthy, they will be capable of sneaking into this season's playoff.  Capable of winning it all?  Not at all.  We ain't that good.  Not yet.  But, 8th place?  Yes!

I expect the Hawks to be just in the playoff picture or just out.  Could go either way.  How many wins will the #8 playoff team have?  Hawks will be very, very close to that many wins, however many that is....

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 1

It’s funny to me that people feel like they can legitimately state how long it will take to get to the playoffs again.  What if in our last rebuild we never signed Joe Johnson?  

It’s impossible to know what players land here.  Therefore impossible to know how long a rebuild will take.

4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It’s funny to me that people feel like they can legitimately state how long it will take to get to the playoffs again.  What if in our last rebuild we never signed Joe Johnson?  

It’s impossible to know what players land here.  Therefore impossible to know how long a rebuild will take.

I don't think anyone here is a legit Nostradamas; least of all me, My opinion is based on looking at our picks, then looking at our future cap, and making a best guess.

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It’s going to be no sooner than 2022-23 for this team to compete for the playoffs 

If we was in the west i would fully agree with those numbers and even then it might be hard to.  But in the east i think 3 to 4 years is doable if the east stays crappy as it is right now.

• Premium Member
If we was in the west i would fully agree with those numbers and even then it might be hard to.  But in the east i think 3 to 4 years is doable if the east stays crappy as it is right now.

I think more realistic is a 2-3 yr timeframe with the Hawks barely missing playoffs in year 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Just now, turnermx said:

I think more realistic is a 2-3 yr timeframe with the Hawks barely missing playoffs in year 2.

I agree man. Teams are already double teaming and trapping himTrae out past the three point line, if they do that during the NBA season someone will always be open. Plus we have players to develop and more picks. If Trae turns into the distributor he looks to be, players will want to play with him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

This is correct. One more year of rebuild then compete. 

REASON? Baze and Plum expire in two years and we will have a butt load of money to spend. So, after next years draft, we need to have some positive momentum to entice big name FAs to come here as a place to compete for a ship.

• Like 4

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I think you are overly optimistic but it would be exciting to turn around so quickly that we barely miss the playoffs this year.  I just don't think that will happen that quickly.

18 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I agree man. Teams are already double teaming and trapping himTrae out past the three point line, if they do that during the NBA season someone will always be open. Plus we have players to develop and more picks. If Trae turns into the distributor he looks to be, players will want to play with him.

I wouldn't start extrapolating from SL action.  John Wall, Mike Conley, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Beverly, Darren Collison, etc. are so much less likely to call for a double than the D-Leaguers of SL that it isn't funny.  Let's see how many NBA teams plan to double him and whether it is effective.  SL is not a great predictor of how NBA regular season games will go.

49 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I don't think anyone here is a legit Nostradamas; least of all me, My opinion is based on looking at our picks, then looking at our future cap, and making a best guess.

100% agreed.  Nobody knows for sure.  We are all speculating and there are a lot of moving pieces that will influence when we next show up in the playoffs.