• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A lot of people projecting us to finish in last place but I really think 35 wins or more is possible

NBASupes

7 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

So you dont believe the complete tank GM wont tell this rookie coach to tank if he so desires?  

Perhaps you should do some homework on whether or not it makes sense, going forward, to lose on purpose.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

It's quite simple.  If you don't want to ever be good, then lose on purpose.

The GM has clearly set this roster to be back in the lottery.  We would have made other moves had we been trying to win this season.

The coaches and players will do their best to win.

• Like 1

Someone posted that, before we traded Dennis, Hawks would have a hard time winning 20 games this season.  Now that he's gone, they have lowered their aim to 7 or 8 for the year.  Losing Dennis is worth 12 losses?  Gee.  If the Hawks could trade away another veteran and have another 7 or 8 losses, we could have a perfect 0-82 year.

News flash:  Hawks are not going to be great this upcoming season but they are not going to be the pushover that some have drawn up the picture in their minds.  Other than the fact that Dennis is gone, this upcoming season's Atlanta team is going to be better than last season's.  Not at first.  But, they will mature and learn.  The further down the road they travel, the better they will become.

A lot will depend on our PG.  Not Trae.  Lyn.  How is his health?  Can Chelsea Lane keep him on the floor?  Is he washed up, as some posters think, or is he still able to carry his own weight?  If he's still able to give us some good time on the floor, Trae should be able to learn and grow.

Kevin Huerter should be well enough to give us some minutes by season's start.  Omari Spellman will do his thing and, therefore, three 19 year old rookies will be playing and learning this NBA game.  And, we expect all of them to come off the bench because we have young veterans ahead of them.

Victories will come slowly, but they are out there, just waiting for this team to grab them.  Hawks still have a couple open slots on their current roster.  Who will they sign?  Since they changed the lottery, finishing last doesn't look as attractive now, does it. 

Remember, all the great ones weren't drafted #1.  Hawks have three 1st round picks on their roster.  And, just think. those posters who believe 7 or 8 wins for the Hawks sure have a lot of faith in all those NBA team that are going to win all those games against Atlanta.  My, my.  They believe, just not in the Hawks.

GO ATLANTA !!

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't know if this team will win 15 games next season. Acie Law 2.0 is going to be an unmitigated disaster once the real games start. Prince, Collins and Baze will have to carry this team. Dedmon and the other two rookies aren't enough to make up the slack we will have at the black hole at PG.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
I don't know if this team will win 15 games next season. Acie Law 2.0 is going to be an unmitigated disaster once the real games start. Prince, Collins and Baze will have to carry this team. Dedmon and the other two rookies aren't enough to make up the slack we will have at the black hole at PG.

Hyperbole has entertainment value, honestly I don’t see how a rookie Trae is going to be such a downgrade from 2017-2018 Dennis, who was so bad that he had Steve Holman pulling whatever hair out he had left.

Acie Law 1.0 was a completely different player. I don’t see any resemblance.

Trae will take some bad shots especially early in 2018-2019 but he will also issue some nice dimes and keep his teammates involved which will keep team morale high. I don’t expect his to disappear on D as Dennis did most of last season. His positive attitude will complement this also. I’m more concerned about situational management in game by rookie head coach CLP than I am Trae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SOTHRON:  I didn't realize that you thought that much of Dennis.  Sure, Trae isn't going to be nearly as great as Dennis.  Not at first.  He has to grow and learn.  Apparently, from what you say, you must believe that Trae is completely lacking in talent and brains.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Prince, Collins and Baze will have to carry this team. Dedmon and the other two rookies aren't enough to make up the slack we will have at the black hole at PG.

Isn't that what they did last year when Isiah Taylor was starting down the stretch.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

SOTHRON:  I didn't realize that you thought that much of Dennis.  Sure, Trae isn't going to be nearly as great as Dennis.  Not at first.  He has to grow and learn.  Apparently, from what you say, you must believe that Trae is completely lacking in talent and brains.

He thinks Trae will be a huge bust ala Acie Law.  He believes time won’t improve Young so much as expose him.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

I honestly don't think Young will get a second contract in the NBA. If you watched him in college he got completely exposed once Oklahoma stopped playing Division III schools. When he started playing real teams they shut him down hard. His beyond horrible summer league performance is even more alarming.

We will look back at the Doncic trade in the same light we view giving up on Pau Gasol. Except we won't even have the 20/10 type seasons we got from SAR out of Young.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, turnermx said:

Hyperbole has entertainment value, honestly I don’t see how a rookie Trae is going to be such a downgrade from 2017-2018 Dennis, who was so bad that he had Steve Holman pulling whatever hair out he had left.

Acie Law 1.0 was a completely different player. I don’t see any resemblance.

Trae will take some bad shots especially early in 2018-2019 but he will also issue some nice dimes and keep his teammates involved which will keep team morale high. I don’t expect his to disappear on D as Dennis did most of last season. His positive attitude will complement this also. I’m more concerned about situational management in game by rookie head coach CLP than I am Trae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Acie Law 1.0 was supposed to also be a score first PG with great passing that could "shoot from anywhere" based off what he did in college. And we know how that played out. Young is Law 2.0. Young was exposed at college, further exposed in summer league and when the real games get here...yeah. It is gonna be ugly.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

He thinks Trae will be a huge bust ala Acie Law.  He believes time won’t improve Young so much as expose him.

This. And the fact so many posters here want the hawks to start Lin over Young so Young "doesn't lose his confidence" speaks volumes. You guys know he's going to fail hard. It is ok to admit it. This "Basketball Jesus" mentality about Young is just kinda silly.

19 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I honestly don't think Young will get a second contract in the NBA. If you watched him in college he got completely exposed once Oklahoma stopped playing Division III schools. When he started playing real teams they shut him down hard. His beyond horrible summer league performance is even more alarming.

We will look back at the Doncic trade in the same light we view giving up on Pau Gasol. Except we won't even have the 20/10 type seasons we got from SAR out of Young.

This statement is not true.

22 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I can understand not liking Young. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. It’s just...your facts are wrong. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sothron said:

This. And the fact so many posters here want the hawks to start Lin over Young so Young "doesn't lose his confidence" speaks volumes. You guys know he's going to fail hard. It is ok to admit it. This "Basketball Jesus" mentality about Young is just kinda silly.

I think Jeremy Lin (8 year vet) is the better player from Day 1. You start your best players. Not about losing confidence. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I can understand not liking Young. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. It’s just...your facts are wrong. 

Really? Go look at this stats in college from 14-2 start to 2-14 finish. And oh, go check out his summer league stats too. Those are facts. Not just opinion.

10 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Really? Go look at this stats in college from 14-2 start to 2-14 finish. And oh, go check out his summer league stats too. Those are facts. Not just opinion.

Nah. You should go look at the stats. He still played well against D1 comp. He had bad games too. To say he only played well against D3 schools is factually incorrect. Aren’t you the one who was comparing him to Lou Will ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Trae Young article from Feb 10th.  https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-minutes-oklahomas-trae-young-lost-grip-player-year-002221303.html

* Second, Young’s pace of production was unsustainable (3). He just wasn’t going to continue shredding everyone at the same efficiency rate when conference play hit. Oklahoma’s season divides neatly into 12-game halves at the moment, and while Young’s scoring is virtually identical first half (29.6 points per game) to second half (29.5), his assists are down (10.7 to 8.1) and turnovers are up (4.1 to 6.6). Three-point accuracy has dipped (41.3 percent to 35.9) as well. He’s playing against better defenses and against teams that have spent more time scouting him. It’s harder now.

Okay so this article breaks down the difference between his first 12 games out of conference vs the next 12 games in conference.   Let me ask you.  29.5ppg, 8.1 apg, 35.9% 3pt fg%.   Those aren't the original numbers but they are still stellar. 

Now compare Oklahoma the year before Trae  11-20.  6-7 out of conference, 5-13 in conference to Trae's year,  18-14. 10-4 out of conference, 8-10 in conference. Despite the team graduating 3 seniors the year before, losing 6 players total. So 6 new roster players but they improved 7 games overall, 3 games in big-12 play.

So improving the team 3 games in conference, scoring 29 points, 8.1 assists on 36% 3pt shooting in his first 12 big 12 games as a FRESHMAN is being exposed, my God I want to see your version of an allstar. He led the league in points, and assists in conference play as a freaking FRESHMAN.

His actual in conference (just big 12) stats.  27.4 ppg, 8.1 apg, 4.2 rpg, 40% shooting and 33% from 3.  His stats drop was from the last 6 games of conference play when he was gassed, overused.  Dude I don't mind you not liking a player but at least speak the truth.  Trae shot better from 3 in conference than Doncic did in Euro ball. He averaged almost 2x as many point and almost 2x as many assists in conference play than Doncic did in Euro where Sergio Rodriguez is a flipping star.  Throw out his overall numbers and focus only on Big 12 play and Doncic's numbers still don't measure up.  I'm so done with this stupidity. You have a potential future all-star on the roster and got another 1st round draft pick out of it.  See the light.

• Like 2

• Moderators

No need to get emotional over this.  Some people think Trae is a can't miss star.  Some people see him as boom or bust.  Some see him as a bust.  

He gets to prove it on the court.  Everything before he starts playing NBA games is just conjecture.

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Trae Young article from Feb 10th.  https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-minutes-oklahomas-trae-young-lost-grip-player-year-002221303.html

Okay so this article breaks down the difference between his first 12 games out of conference vs the next 12 games in conference.   Let me ask you.  29.5ppg, 8.1 apg, 35.9% 3pt fg%.   Those aren't the original numbers but they are still stellar. 

Now compare Oklahoma the year before Trae  11-20.  6-7 out of conference, 5-13 in conference to Trae's year,  18-14. 10-4 out of conference, 8-10 in conference. Despite the team graduating 3 seniors the year before, losing 6 players total. So 6 new roster players but they improved 7 games overall, 3 games in big-12 play.

So improving the team 3 games in conference, scoring 29 points, 8.1 assists on 36% 3pt shooting in his first 12 big 12 games as a FRESHMAN is being exposed, my God I want to see your version of an allstar. He led the league in points, and assists in conference play as a freaking FRESHMAN.

His actual in conference (just big 12) stats.  27.4 ppg, 8.1 apg, 4.2 rpg, 40% shooting and 33% from 3.  His stats drop was from the last 6 games of conference play when he was gassed, overused.  Dude I don't mind you not liking a player but at least speak the truth.  Trae shot better from 3 in conference than Doncic did in Euro ball. He averaged almost 2x as many point and almost 2x as many assists in conference play than Doncic did in Euro where Sergio Rodriguez is a flipping star.  Throw out his overall numbers and focus only on Big 12 play and Doncic's numbers still don't measure up.  I'm so done with this stupidity. You have a potential future all-star on the roster and got another 1st round draft pick out of it.  See the light.

The Hawks got my #3 overall player, and I'm the best talent evaluator on this board.  :biggrin: