• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A lot of people projecting us to finish in last place but I really think 35 wins or more is possible

NBASupes

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Trae Young article from Feb 10th.  https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-minutes-oklahomas-trae-young-lost-grip-player-year-002221303.html

Okay so this article breaks down the difference between his first 12 games out of conference vs the next 12 games in conference.   Let me ask you.  29.5ppg, 8.1 apg, 35.9% 3pt fg%.   Those aren't the original numbers but they are still stellar. 

Now compare Oklahoma the year before Trae  11-20.  6-7 out of conference, 5-13 in conference to Trae's year,  18-14. 10-4 out of conference, 8-10 in conference. Despite the team graduating 3 seniors the year before, losing 6 players total. So 6 new roster players but they improved 7 games overall, 3 games in big-12 play.

So improving the team 3 games in conference, scoring 29 points, 8.1 assists on 36% 3pt shooting in his first 12 big 12 games as a FRESHMAN is being exposed, my God I want to see your version of an allstar. He led the league in points, and assists in conference play as a freaking FRESHMAN.

His actual in conference (just big 12) stats.  27.4 ppg, 8.1 apg, 4.2 rpg, 40% shooting and 33% from 3.  His stats drop was from the last 6 games of conference play when he was gassed, overused.  Dude I don't mind you not liking a player but at least speak the truth.  Trae shot better from 3 in conference than Doncic did in Euro ball. He averaged almost 2x as many point and almost 2x as many assists in conference play than Doncic did in Euro where Sergio Rodriguez is a flipping star.  Throw out his overall numbers and focus only on Big 12 play and Doncic's numbers still don't measure up.  I'm so done with this stupidity. You have a potential future all-star on the roster and got another 1st round draft pick out of it.  See the light.

If you want someone taking 20 shots a game shooting 40% from the field while being a walking turnover machine (he set the NCAA record in turnovers in a season, there's a stat for you) and think that's a "potential future all star" then I don't know what to say.

Does his shooting 20% from the field in summer league not count either? I guess his horrible shooting, incredibly stupid shot selection, turnover machine inefficiency and being the worst college defender I've ever seen mean nothing. I mean whenever there's 18 seconds left on a shot clock and he's sailing 35 foot airballs as a point guard...that's HoF material right there.

Check out his game logs:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trae-young-1/gamelog/

13 of his last 17 games in college he shot around thirty percent from the field. He shot like 22% in summer league. This is potential All Star?

Consider Buddy Hield...same team 2 years earlier.  As a senior.  25 ppg, 5.7 rebounds, 2 assists.  He was a senior.  this board went bat crap crazy over trying to get Buddy Hield in that draft.  Hield's OK numbers as a Freshman.....8 points, 4 rebounds 2 assists shooting 24% from 3.  But you'd pee yourself if we traded for Hield.

Trae is special, potentially top 3 player special. Doncic will be a good player, potential all-star but the Hawks flipped it for generational special + 1st rounder and an additional million in cap space this year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If you want someone taking 20 shots a game shooting 40% from the field while being a walking turnover machine (he set the NCAA record in turnovers in a season, there's a stat for you) and think that's a "potential future all star" then I don't know what to say.

Does his shooting 20% from the field in summer league not count either? I guess his horrible shooting, incredibly stupid shot selection, turnover machine inefficiency and being the worst college defender I've ever seen mean nothing. I mean whenever there's 18 seconds left on a shot clock and he's sailing 35 foot airballs as a point guard...that's HoF material right there.

Check out his game logs:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trae-young-1/gamelog/

13 of his last 17 games in college he shot around thirty percent from the field. He shot like 22% in summer league. This is potential All Star?

Are you sure he shot 20% in summer league?  Cause I could have sworn his percentage was perty close to Steph Curry's first summer league.  I'm not saying he's Curry.  I'm just giving you an example of a great shooter who shot crappy in Summer League.   You don't take much from Summer League, but you know that.

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Are you sure he shot 20% in summer league?  Cause I could have sworn his percentage was perty close to Steph Curry's first summer league.  I'm not saying he's Curry.  I'm just giving you an example of a great shooter who shot crappy in Summer League.   You don't take much from Summer League, but you know that.

He might have shot lower than 20%. Not joking. He went scoreless his last game with I don't know how many shot attempts. He was shooting like 27% going into that game IIRC.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

He might have shot lower than 20%. Not joking. He went scoreless his last game with I don't know how many shot attempts. He was shooting like 27% going into that game IIRC.

23% in Utah

38% in Vegas

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

He averaged 17.0 points, 6.8 assists and 1.0 rebounds in 25.8 minutes on 38.3% FG and 38.7% in Vegas. Better then Steph who came in After his junior year. Steph did not play in Utah

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Goal posts moved from 20% to abstract horrible.  Keep moving em.

If you consider shooting below 40% anything other than horrible then you and I aren't speaking about basketball on even a semi professional level.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

He had fewer shot attempts in Vegas. His overall shooting percentage was horrible.

I actually liked that he took less shots and was running the team more effectively in Vegas.

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I actually liked that he took less shots and was running the team more effectively in Vegas.

He was pretty miserable in Utah and much improved but still not great at scoring in Vegas.  His passing in Vegas is what stood out the most.  And all of it means jack squat because, you know, summer league.

The regular season awaits.

• Premium Member

I could look it up but didn’t he shoot 34% overall .. or was that just Vegas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, KB21 said:

giphy.gif

The focus should be on developing winning habits in these players, not tanking.  

9 hours ago, Watchman said:

You don't see those things as self-contradictory?  How do you develop good habits by losing all the time?

9 hours ago, KB21 said:

You can't separate the two.  If you are properly developing players, you will win more than a tanking team wants to win.

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think they'll be trying to lose, like last year but the make up of the current roster - young players, plus a first time coach just makes it so.

The hope is CLP has them playing the right way more often than not.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/7/20/17597216/atlanta-hawks-projection-2018-19-season-standings-nba-trae-young-john-collins If the article above has any true indication it has us winning that magic number. I think we can win 3- 5 more games than that and still be able to get some gems in the draft.

• 10 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 3:01 PM, AHF said:

I can pretty much guarantee the 8th seed in the East will win significantly fewer games than teams who miss the playoffs in the West.

#8 seed in East - Detroit 41 wins

#9 seed in the west - Sacramento 39 wins (the internet is forever 🙂 )

I kid of course.  West records 1-8 we closer than in the East. Though 2 teams in the East had better records than anyone in the West. Rest of the posts in this thread are much funnier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

#8 seed in East - Detroit 41 wins

#9 seed in the west - Sacramento 39 wins (the internet is forever 🙂 )

I kid of course.  West records 1-8 we closer than in the East. Though 2 teams in the East had better records than anyone in the West. Rest of the posts in this thread are much funnier.

I blew that one.  Not too badly but still missed it.  Didn't expect that 48 to 39 drop from 8 to 9 in the West.  It has been only a single game or less the last 6 years and 2 games or less the last 8 years.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I blew that one.  Not too badly but still missed it.  Didn't expect that 48 to 39 drop from 8 to 9 in the West.  It has been only a single game or less the last 6 years and 2 games or less the last 8 years.

The East in terms of playoff teams was much better in 2018-19 than in previous years. 

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I was doing really poorly at the beginning of this thread but Thank God Sothron came in and rescued me by being even worse than me!  😅

You were confused 😜

• Sad 1