Current Standings

sillent

http://www.nba.com/standings#/ Most of the teams have gotten atleast 3 games. Chemistry is being built, rotations are being formed and nba rythym is coming together. Of course the cream will rise to the top. Looking at our division http://www.nba.com/standings#/ we could be creme de la creme of it before the year is over. If the Wizards don't implode they have a chance and if Miami has tremendous internal growth or a major trade they may have a chance. I don't see the Hornets holding on to their spot or the Magics being better than us. Miles Bridges and Mo Bamba are great prospects but they aren't better than a Trae, Huerter, Spellman combo. Our division is wide open. The East is wide open. Don't be surprised if we sneak in the playoffs as that 7th/8th seed. 

As much optimism as I have I will be surprised if we are anything near 4th at this stage but than again with the poise of our young stars (core) and the ability of our young coach strange things can happen. Chemistry might be an issue further along for teams like Boston/Washington. Injuries/Shooters could plague Philly. Toronto and Milwaukee look like they may be mainstays and with Casey coaching the Pistons they might actually be unleashed and better than expected. Pacers will be good but may take a step back since they won't be slept on or a step up since there's no LeBron. We have a legit viable chance to surprise the league this year and at this time no position is secure. Cleveland 0-3still have plenty of time to figure it out and they currently sit at the bottom thanks to us.

The season has started and currently playing jump rope with expectations. Again the cream will rise to the top and don't be surprised if we find ourselves along that mix. Sorry tankers but I truly believe we have other plans. We honestly don't even have room money/space to take on too many other young phenoms regardless. I'm saying no to OKC formula of drafting so many talented young players just to see them shine on other teams. Seeing Harden, KD, Ibaka, Reggie Jackson, Jeff Green go with nothing to show for it has to hurt worst than not ever having them. Especially the former 3 and I do not wish that for our team. We have a ton of young stars now (currently on the roster). Win now or atleast do as best as we can and it will be a win win for later. Glad to see the organization on the same page as myself and not necessarily of those blindly tanking with an open window of no LeBron in the East. Bud might have the next beast up in Giannis but if we establish ourselves early we will be able to compete and not be dominated even with the "Greek Freak" taking reign. It'll be even more ironic if Giannis or Anthony Davis decide to join a squad like ours because of all the potential shown. This is the official revamp year and hopefully (I believe we will) make it count.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Like your optimism but I'm fully not on board with us making the playoffs this season.  I'm more worried right now about that Cleveland pick never conveying (or rather converting into second round picks after next season).  They need to right the ship some here in a hurry.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sillent said:

http://www.nba.com/standings#/ Most of the teams have gotten atleast 3 games. Chemistry is being built, rotations are being formed and nba rythym is coming together. Of course the cream will rise to the top. Looking at our division http://www.nba.com/standings#/ we could be creme de la creme of it before the year is over. If the Wizards don't implode they have a chance and if Miami has tremendous internal growth or a major trade they may have a chance. I don't see the Hornets holding on to their spot or the Magics being better than us. Miles Bridges and Mo Bamba are great prospects but they aren't better than a Trae, Huerter, Spellman combo. Our division is wide open. The East is wide open. Don't be surprised if we sneak in the playoffs as that 7th/8th seed. 

As much optimism as I have I will be surprised if we are anything near 4th at this stage but than again with the poise of our young stars (core) and the ability of our young coach strange things can happen. Chemistry might be an issue further along for teams like Boston/Washington. Injuries/Shooters could plague Philly. Toronto and Milwaukee look like they may be mainstays and with Casey coaching the Pistons they might actually be unleashed and better than expected. Pacers will be good but may take a step back since they won't be slept on or a step up since there's no LeBron. We have a legit viable chance to surprise the league this year and at this time no position is secure. Cleveland 0-3still have plenty of time to figure it out and they currently sit at the bottom thanks to us.

The season has started and currently playing jump rope with expectations. Again the cream will rise to the top and don't be surprised if we find ourselves along that mix. Sorry tankers but I truly believe we have other plans. We honestly don't even have room money/space to take on too many other young phenoms regardless. I'm saying no to OKC formula of drafting so many talented young players just to see them shine on other teams. Seeing Harden, KD, Ibaka, Reggie Jackson, Jeff Green go with nothing to show for it has to hurt worst than not ever having them. Especially the former 3 and I do not wish that for our team. We have a ton of young stars now (currently on the roster). Win now or atleast do as best as we can and it will be a win win for later. Glad to see the organization on the same page as myself and not necessarily of those blindly tanking with an open window of no LeBron in the East. Bud might have the next beast up in Giannis but if we establish ourselves early we will be able to compete and not be dominated even with the "Greek Freak" taking reign. It'll be even more ironic if Giannis or Anthony Davis decide to join a squad like ours because of all the potential shown. This is the official revamp year and hopefully (I believe we will) make it count.  

Your optimism is refreshing since there’s so little of it around here. But I’m sticking with next year as timing for us to sniff the playoffs. 10th-11th in the east just seems more realistic to me. I’m a glass half full kind of guy too, but I’m pragmatic. I think the Cavs pick is toast, and I’d like ours plus Mavs lottery picks to either snag 2 more good young players, or bundle them to snag another potentially great player. Then you go for the star trade next year and you’re set for years to come ? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Like your optimism but I'm fully not on board with us making the playoffs this season.  I'm more worried right now about that Cleveland pick never conveying (or rather converting into second round picks after next season).  They need to right the ship some here in a hurry.  

I have a sneaky feeling we'll find a gem whenever/ where ever we get that pick.

15 minutes ago, hazer said:

Your optimism is refreshing since there’s so little of it around here. But I’m sticking with next year as timing for us to sniff the playoffs. 10th-11th in the east just seems more realistic to me. I’m a glass half full kind of guy too, but I’m pragmatic. I think the Cavs pick is toast, and I’d like ours plus Mavs lottery picks to either snag 2 more good young players, or bundle them to snag another potentially great player. Then you go for the star trade next year and you’re set for years to come ? 

I agree that we can get a couple more good players. I believe the Mavs pick will give us one more star talent and ours won't hurt around 19. Collins and Huerter definitely didn't hurt. Cavs may still give us something as well. The season is still early.

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Crazy to say this.  But they need JR Smith back in the mix.

40 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Crazy to say this.  But they need JR Smith back in the mix.

Usually, when the Cavs play the Hawks, you could blindfold JR Smith, spin him around three times and give him the ball and with all the Hawks around him, he would hit a three with "nothing but net!"

No fooling.  He has been an Atlanta killer many times.  Beware him when we meet again.  After all, they were close through three.

:biggrin:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

WTF is going on in Orlando?  They beat Miami and Boston, 1 point loss to Philly.

They are playing with intensity and focus. Nice to see. Sometimes the pieces click more than anyone thought might happen...then again we are only a few games into a long season. If they are still playing at that level at the AS break, then I will be legitimately stunned.

12 hours ago, benhillboy said:

WTF is going on in Orlando?  They beat Miami and Boston, 1 point loss to Philly.

They added Bamba. Seriously though although he his a big part they are lengthy, tall and big. Most of their players have added more to their game. People are underestimating them and they are playing with heart.

It’s a loooooonggg season. I’m excited about the development of our guys. I’m not going to put a ceiling on our young Hawks but history has suggested that young teams will eventually start losing games at some point during the season. I’m hoping we win every game but I think we will take our bumps n bruises soon.

21 hours ago, AHF said:

I'm more worried right now about that Cleveland pick never conveying (or rather converting into second round picks after next season).  They need to right the ship some here in a hurry.  

Uhhhhh, @bleachkit might turn my avatar into an a$$ hat ? if we don’t get that Cavs pick. They have vets, they need to settle down and Lue needs to draw some better plays. Hoping Lue isn’t purposely trying to get fired like Costanza from the Yankees to sign with Mets!

• Like 1

I just don't see playoffs for this team.  Too much youth all around.  Young, Red Mamba, etc. will hit a rookie wall.  I've been super impressed with Young and to lesser degree Omri, but they are young and the season is still very new.  Once the grind hits, they will wear down physically and mentally.  It happens to every rookie.  When it does, we'll see some pretty awful games (e.g. the Knicks game). For me, i have no problem with the team not making the playoffs.  As long as they keep playing with heart and commitment, they'll figure out the NBA in a couple of seasons.  19-20 year olds, for the vast majority of the time, don't carry an NBA team into the playoffs.  There is just too much to learn. 

Now, if the argument is about are the Hawks the worst team in the NBA? That is something the national pundits are certainly selling, but I'm not buying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sillent said:

They added Bamba. Seriously though although he his a big part they are lengthy, tall and big. Most of their players have added more to their game. People are underestimating them and they are playing with heart.

I hear you but I just can’t buy Clifford or 27 minutes of Simmons and Augustin, and I’ve always liked the latter.  Just examining numbers Bamba’s 2:1 block to foul ratio could be legit but he needs to find his way to the line more.