Official 2019 Draft thread

Sothron

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

A few examples:

#9 Charles Oakley for #11 Keith Lee and #13 Ennis Watley

#1 Elton Brand for #4 Tyson Chandler and #22 Brian Skinner

#3 Deron Williams for #6 Martell Webster and #27 Linas Kleiza

#2 LeMarcus Aldridge for #4 Tyrus Thomas, #22 Viktor Khryapa, future 2nd round pick (not bothered to look it up)

#5 Scottie Pippen for #8 Olden Polynice, #35 Sylvester Gray, next year's first #18 BJ Armstrong (later traded back to the Bulls)

Now let’s look at another example from 2014. There’s a couple we could use this year, but perhaps the best example is the Doug McDermott trade. In 2014 the Nuggets traded the 11th pick for the 16th and 19th picks. At 16, they selected Jusuf Nurkic and at 19 Gary Harris. Other viable players the Nuggets could have selected at either selection, or perhaps by trading down further, include Nikola Jokic (they did select him too later obviously), Clint Capela, Rodney Hood, Jerami Grant, Spencer Dinwiddie, Kyle Anderson, Joe Harris, and Maxi Kleber.

Blue = team option

Notice all of the players they need decisions on. The only players locked in are Ntilikina, Smith, Knox, Trier, Robinson but they need to decide on Jordan (or they need his commitment), Hezonja, Mudiay, Vonleh etc.  They have dead salary in Joakim Noah for the next 3 years for 6 million per. They have needs...lots of them and they need picks, mobile salary etc....They are just working out their money issues, possible incoming talent and best offer for 3.  There is interest in Barrett but few teams can put forward a package to move up to 3.

Committed Salary

2018    2019    
DeAndre Jordan $ 22,897,200      
Lance Thomas $ 7,119,650 $ 7,583,975    
Mario Hezonja $ 6,500,000      
Ron Baker $ 4,544,400      
Emmanuel Mudiay $ 4,294,480      
Frank Ntilikina $ 4,155,720 $ 4,855,800 $ 6,176,578  
Dennis Smith $ 3,819,960 $ 4,463,640 $ 5,686,677  
Kevin Knox $ 3,739,920 $ 4,380,120 $ 4,588,680 $ 5,845,978
Allonzo Trier $ 3,382,000 $ 3,551,100    
Luke Kornet $ 1,619,260      
Noah Vonleh $ 1,512,601      
Mitchell Robinson $ 1,485,440 $ 1,559,712 $ 1,663,861 $ 1,802,057
Damyean Dotson $ 1,378,242 $ 1,618,520    
John Jenkins $ 486,520 $ 1,988,119    
Henry Ellenson $ 341,831 $ 1,645,357    
Billy Garrett $ 42,634 $ 1,416,852    
Isaiah Hicks

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Were those really that close?  I'm talking about Doncic vs Trae and a players like Huerter/Collins or Ben Simmons vs Jayson Tatum + whomever Etc

Not sure what you mean by this.  

So word is the Knicks will waive Lance Thomas and then try to resign him cheaper per year. They want someone to take Ntilikina as a part of any deal because the salary they want to sign will replace his role on the team.  But they need to waive most everyone and resolve Jordan's status then they will move forward.

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

So word is the Knicks will waive Lance Thomas and then try to resign him cheaper per year. They want someone to take Ntilikina as a part of any deal because the salary they want to sign will replace his role on the team.  But they need to waive most everyone and resolve Jordan's status then they will move forward.

If they were getting Durant and Kyrie they would probably trade #3. But with that unlikely to happen, looks like they are staying at #3.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Now let’s look at another example from 2014. There’s a couple we could use this year, but perhaps the best example is the Doug McDermott trade. In 2014 the Nuggets traded the 11th pick for the 16th and 19th picks. At 16, they selected Jusuf Nurkic and at 19 Gary Harris. Other viable players the Nuggets could have selected at either selection, or perhaps by trading down further, include Nikola Jokic (they did select him too later obviously), Clint Capela, Rodney Hood, Jerami Grant, Spencer Dinwiddie, Kyle Anderson, Joe Harris, and Maxi Kleber.

48 minutes ago, AHF said:

A good example for sure.  

I'll step out on a limb and say that Chicago probably would have stuck with Nurkic and Gary Harris (taken with their picks) if given the benefit of hindsight.

You probably won't be shocked to know that I'm familiar with that one since I gave the blow by blow on it earlier this afternoon!  There are deals on both sides of this one but if you look at the most lopsided draft deals in history they heavily lean towards the teams trading up getting the better end of the deal.  I only listed some of those involving a team getting more picks but when you start adding in deals like the Hawks letting Boston trade up to get Bill Russell or the Cavs trade up for Brad Daughtery, etc. there are plenty more.

At the end of the day, there is uncertainty and different teams needs and opportunity.  

If Schlenk sees the right guy there and thinks he is on a different level from the players available when we pick, I don't mind him trading up.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I would rather have Trae and Collins/Huerter over Doncic or Tatum + an extra pick over Simmons

What?!?  Collins and Huerter have absolutely nothing to do with Doncic.  You could have had all three of them.  

Tatum has nothing to do with Simmons.

You are talking about completely unrelated players who were not involved in trades with eachother (except Trae and Doncic).

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

What?!?  Collins and Huerter have absolutely nothing to do with Doncic.  You could have had all three of them.  

You are talking about completely unrelated players who were not involved in trades with eachother (except Trae and Doncic).

I said a player like Collins or Huerter

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

I said a player like Collins or Huerter

I'd rather have LeBron than a pair like Joe Johnson + Josh Smith or Anthony Davis rather than Terence Ross and Austin Rivers.

(Not sure what any of these statements have to do with the subject of how Schlenk should react if he sees a player he thinks is on a different level from the rest of the available talent and has a reasonable offer to trade up but I guess I can throw together random names as examples as well.  🤷‍♂️)

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Sorry the Fultz vs Tatum which is even worse

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'd rather have LeBron than a pair like Joe Johnson + Josh Smith or Anthony Davis rather than Terence Ross and Austin Rivers.

(Not sure what any of these statements have to do with the subject of how Schlenk should react if he sees a player he thinks is on a different level from the rest of the available talent and has a reasonable offer to trade up but I guess I can throw together random names as examples as well.  🤷‍♂️)

What is your problem???  I said no one is trading the draft rights to Lebron or players like him.  My statement is when it isn't clear cut like Lebron vs Mile Plumlee, the team with more chances usually wins

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Sorry the Fultz vs Tatum which is even worse

Except it has nothing to do with acquiring additional picks.  It is just the Sixers making a bad pick and Boston making a good one.  Boston hasn't even gotten a second player out of the deal.

Just now, NBASupes said:

Wizards are leaning to Sekou or Nassir

I know they are stealing Sekou from us.  I'm trying to steel myself against it.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Don't you get it?  There ain't no magical player on a different level in this draft available to the Hawk via trade.  What's going on?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What is your problem???  I said no one is trading the draft rights to Lebron or players like him.  My statement is when it isn't clear cut like Lebron vs Mile Plumlee, the team with more chances usually wins

My whole premise is that Schlenk has a clear cut preference, viewing a player as being on a different level from other available players.  I've made that super clear in my posts.

I also see zero statistical support for your position.  I see plenty of anecdotes and agree that there are absolutely trades where the team getting more picks wins but see even more where the team trading up wins.

If Schlenk has two guys ranked closely, that isn't a situation we are discussing.

We had the chance to give up multiple picks/players to trade up and get Giannis and we chose not to do it.  We would have won that trade big time.  If Schlenk believes in someone like that, he should make the move.  That is what I've been saying all thread.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

He literally has already said that he sees no different in the players past Zion and the point guards

I don't believe you mean what you typed.  Do you really believe that he sees no difference between the draft board at pick 4 and pick 60?  No difference past 3 players?