• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Media Draft Grades

AHF

• Moderators

This thread is for putting links / quotes from articles into a consolidated post for easy reading and review.  (Not really intended for Squawked grades).  

To kick things off here are the CBS grades:

Hunter - A

Reddish - D

Fernando - A

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-nba-draft-grades-pick-by-pick-evaluations-for-every-first-and-second-round-selection/

And this saying Hunter and Reddish were the perfect picks for Atlanta:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-nba-draft-by-adding-deandre-hunter-and-cam-reddish-rebuilding-hawks-take-page-from-warriors-winning-playbook/

10 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

I really don't get how you give Reddish a D when considering where he was drafted and who was behind him.

They filled in the "D" grade and "analysis" months ahead of the draft.  Only wrote the team name in once the pick was made.

That's how they came out with it so quick.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

I really don't get how you give Reddish a D when considering where he was drafted and who was behind him.

He sucked last year.  Badly.  If that is who you think he is, then taking him at 10 is a legit mistake.  I personally couldn’t get there given age, pedigree and injury.  It is just a clear declaration that the person grading believes the low floor he showed last year is what will pan out for him.  Unlike Hunter who looks inevitable to be a contributor, Reddish’s range of outcomes includes total failure.

• Premium Member

At the very least by selecting Hunter and Reddish and quite frankly Bruno, the Hawks have become one of the most diverse defensive teams in the league.  We can go big perimeter with Huerter/Cam/Hunter line up or very defensive with a Bembry/Cam/Hunter line up.  This is winning basketball.  Horford prove to the league that if you know how to defend, you will win!  Heck even our natural starting line up will have size!

Trae 6'2

Huerter 6'7

Hunter 6'8

Collins 6'10

Len 7'1

As you can tell, I love big and skilled over small and skilled

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

At the very least by selecting Hunter and Reddish and quite frankly Bruno, the Hawks have become one of the most diverse defensive teams in the league.  We can go big perimeter with Huerter/Cam/Hunter line up or very defensive with a Bembry/Cam/Hunter line up.  This is winning basketball.  Horford prove to the league that if you know how to defend, you will win!  Heck even our natural starting line up will have size!

Trae 6'2

Huerter 6'7

Hunter 6'8

Collins 6'10

Len 7'1

As you can tell, I love big and skilled over small and skilled

So size matters?

• Premium Member

The second CBS sports article in the OP is worth a read. We have the #1 League Pass team going into next season imo. This team is going to make a lot of fun highlight clips next season. I also think the rubber is going to hit the road that our defense is going to catch up to what our offense was after the All star break.

I haven't been this legit excited about our franchise future in a very long time.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The second CBS sports article in the OP is worth a read. We have the #1 League Pass team going into next season imo. This team is going to make a lot of fun highlight clips next season. I also think the rubber is going to hit the road that our defense is going to catch up to what our offense was after the All star break.

I haven't been this legit excited about our franchise future in a very long time.

No joke...I'm legit in a way better mood today after the draft. We got mad potential.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Who are you and what have you done with the loathsome saphron we know and love?

It should be noted that several guys on NBARadio identified the Hawks as a must-watch this past season.

So welcome to the party, late bus.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Who are you and what have you done with the loathsome saphron we know and love?

It should be noted that several guys on NBARadio identified the Hawks as a must-watch this past season.

So welcome to the party, late bus.

I don't really catch NBARadio but I was already watch our games last season :p  I've been on the bus since the late  70's standing on my dad's shoulders watching fast Eddie Johnson back in the day. The only person that is further back on this bus is @Gray Mule my young whippersnapper.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't really catch NBARadio but I was already watch our games last season 😛 I've been on the bus since the late  70's standing on my dad's shoulders watching fast Eddie Johnson back in the day. The only person that is further back on this bus is @Gray Mule my young whippersnapper.

Hey I was watching Fast Eddie Johnson and the Fastbreaks too.  With Drew and Tree. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't really catch NBARadio but I was already watch our games last season 😛 I've been on the bus since the late  70's standing on my dad's shoulders watching fast Eddie Johnson back in the day. The only person that is further back on this bus is @Gray Mule my young whippersnapper.

Meh.  You fell off the bandwagon a few times along the way.  Don't make me wake @Spud2nique from his stupor to back me up on that.

Our tough love brought you back though.  Ok, now I'm gettin' choked up.  All the water works from the draft have inspired me.  Bring it in, saphron, let's hug it out.

ochio.gif

fpdnw.gif

Ah, that's messed up.  I'm leaning this way now ...

katy-hug.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Meh.  You fell off the bandwagon a few times along the way.  Don't make me wake @Spud2nique from his stupor to back me up on that.

Our tough love brought you back though.  Ok, now I'm gettin' choked up.  All the water works from the draft have inspired me.  Bring it in, saphron, let's hug it out.

ochio.gif

fpdnw.gif

Ah, that's messed up.  I'm leaning this way now ...

katy-hug.gif

Hey, just to have Soth on in any way shape or form I’ll take it. We should all be on the same happy page moving forward.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Atlanta Hawks

Mike Schmitz: I absolutely love what Atlanta is building, moving up to add De'Andre Hunter with the No. 4 pick (traded from the Pelicans; originally owned by the Lakers) and then snagging Cam Reddish at No. 10.

Hunter is the perfect fit alongside Trae Young, Kevin Huerter and John Collins, as he can play either forward spot, defend four positions and space the floor. He doesn't need much offensive volume to be effective.

And getting Reddish -- a top-five talent coming into the season -- with the No. 10 pick is great value. Coming in with lower expectations allows Reddish to focus on knocking down open 3-pointers in transition, defending his position and developing his shot-creation ability at his own pace. After he struggled in high-pressure situations last season, the stress of living up to lofty Paul Georgecomparisons is now off for Reddish, who can grow alongside a young group while rounding out his game.

The Hawks will be must-see TV next season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27015334/the-nba-draft-biggest-first-round-winners-losers

Which lottery pick is in the best situation to succeed?

Schmitz: De'Andre Hunter in Atlanta. The former Virginia standout and national champion can focus on what he does best -- defending everyone and making open shots. With Trae Young shouldering the bulk of the offense and Kevin Huerter and John Collins also poised to be in shot-creation situations, Hunter's ball-handling limitations and so-so feel won't be as exposed. While most top-four picks are thrust into a featured role early on, Hunter can stick to the same script that landed him so high in the first place.

Givony: Cam Reddish in Atlanta. Reddish's talent is undeniable, and at No. 10 he was certainly worth taking a flyer on, especially since he won't be called upon to do too much in terms of shot-creation, which should accentuate his strengths. Reddish is an excellent fit alongside the pick-and-roll passing prowess of Trae Young, who should generate quite a few open looks for him.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27015407/the-nba-draft-best-riskiest-most-surprising-moves

Post-Draft Analysis

The Hawks traded up to No. 4 to select De'Andre Hunter here. 

The Hawks have targeted De'Andre Hunter every step of the way, according to all indications we've received, supposedly being the only team to work him out privately, right after he skipped out on the NBA draft combine.

Atlanta was aggressively trying to trade up to ensure it got him, eventually using its huge stable of picks to get a deal done with New Orleans. Hunter's maturity, defensive versatility, 3-point shooting, national championship experience and strong frame should make him ready to step in from day one alongside Trae Young, John Collins and Kevin Huerter. Having so many offensive weapons around him means Hunter shouldn't have to shoulder too heavy of an offensive burden, which is one of his biggest downsides. -- Jonathan Givony

Post-Draft Analysis

The Hawks continue to add multi-positional forwards to the roster after drafting De'Andre Hunter with the fourth pick. Cam Reddish's talent is undeniable, and at this stage in the draft, that makes him worth taking a flier on, especially since he won't be called upon to do too much in terms of shot creation, which should accentuate his strengths.

Reddish and Hunter form an intriguing forward combination, and they are excellent fits alongside the pick-and-roll passing prowess of Trae Young -- all of which should generate quite a few open looks. -- Jonathan Givony

Post-Draft Analysis

The Hawks traded into No. 35 to select Bruno Fernando here. Fernando was considered one of the best big men prospects in this draft, thanks to his chiseled physique and improved skill level, but he ended up falling to the second round due to the diminishing value teams seem to be placing on traditional centers in his mold. The Hawks could develop him into a functional backup, as there are some things to like with his size, athleticism and motor. -- Jonathan Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/rounds/_/round/1

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Hey, just to have Soth on in any way shape or form I’ll take it. We should all be on the same happy page moving forward.

Yeah I give him a hard time but he's still my dude.  Don't tell 'im I said that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1