• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks sign F Jabari Parker

Spud2nique

3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I can't imagine a world where this is god awful.  He doesn't shoot well from 3 (33.7% career) and still has flaws but he's nowhere near his best years and is already statistically better than most backups in the league.  A 6 million dollar flyer is nothing in the NBA.

These are some of the reasons and ways I'll eventually get behind the signing.  I just find it hard to get over his comments about playing defense that, to me, were just galling.  Plus I question what kind of teammate he'll be considering he certainly won't be featured in any kind of way here.  That was apparently an issue with him in MIL.

Perhaps he's learned his lesson now that he's making 7 figures instead of 8.

And was this your attempt to talk me off the ledge, bleachk?  How sweet.  Last week, you were about ready to push.

Our Depth Chart after this:

PG: T. Young, E. Turner, J. Adams

SG: K. Huerter, D. Bembry, A. Crabbe

SF: D. Hunter, C. Reddish, 

PF: J. Collins, J. Parker, C. Parsons

C : A. Len, B. Fernando, O. Spellman

Did I miss anyone? 

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

SF: D. Hunter, C. Reddish, C. Parsons

PF: J. Collins, J. Parker, O. Spellman

C : A. Len, B. Fernando, <unknown>

Did I miss anyone? 

Too soon?

• Haha 3

This one wasn't a shock as Atlanta has talked to his people. I just didn't expect an offer nor did I expect it for for 6.5 mil. My guess was Atlanta wanted Jamychal Green and he took less and went to LAC so Parker was their next guy. 

Parker to me clearly solves the 6th man issue and addresses the PF depth since Omari is clearly more of a 5 than a 4 which the Hawks were internally selling. 

This is huge for the Hawks. Parker looked really good for Washington as a scorer. His defense is always bad but his offense is usually a plus and he played well off of Beal

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

SF: D. Hunter, C. Reddish, C. Parsons

PF: J. Collins, J. Parker, O. Spellman

C : A. Len, B. Fernando, <unknown>

Did I miss anyone? 

I'm thinking Spellman is playing more 5 than 4 now as both Parsons and Parker more 4's than 3's at this point.

CAVEAT:  I didn't pay a lick of attention to Parker last year so this isn't the eye test. Also, as I've mentioned before, I don't buy much into the defensive metrics because I think they are at least partly a product of the players around you.  With HUGE grain of salt laid out there.....

His defensive metrics are actually better than Collins, Vince Carter, and Omari Spellman from last year:

Jabari Parker:    1.3 DWS / -0.5 DBPM / 113 DRTG

John Collins:      1.0 DWS / -1.2 DBPM / 115 DRTG

Vince Carter:      0.7 DWS / -1.4 DBPM / 115 DRTG

Omari Spellman: 0.5 DWS / 0.0 DBPM / 113 DRTG

So I mean, yeah, he sucks at defense, but he doesn't suck any worse than any other PF on the team last year.  

Edited by REHawksFan

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

CAVEAT:  I didn't pay a lick of attention to Parker last year so this isn't the eye test. Also, as I've mentioned before, I'd buy much into the defensive metrics because I think they are at least partly a product of the players around you.  With HUGE grain of salt laid out there.....

His defensive metrics are actually better than Collins, Vince Carter, and Omari Spellman from last year:

Jabari Parker:    1.3 DWS / -0.5 DBPM / 113 DRTG

John Collins:      1.0 DWS / -1.2 DBPM / 115 DRTG

Vince Carter:      0.7 DWS / -1.4 DBPM / 115 DRTG

Omari Spellman: 0.5 DWS / 0.0 DBPM / 113 DRTG

So I mean, yeah, he sucks at defense, but he doesn't suck any worse than any other PF on the team last year.  

The beginning and the end. Parker defense is terrible. Collins is a better defender. Stats don't explain your personnel, role or system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'm thinking Spellman is playing more 5 than 4 now as both Parsons and Parker more 4's than 3's at this point.

I fixed it. I really hope we can squeeze Vince back on to this roster, he was super chummy with Coach Pierce yesterday

• Like 1

I don't like the signing, considering our PF I was hoping for a more defense oriented big with good rebounding and shot blocking, ckearly Parker is not that player. Let's see if we can sign a big that provides that. I would have given that money to Wood or Birch, Parker is not a good fit although I recognize is a better player

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

The beginning and the end. Parker defense is terrible. Collins is a better defender. Stats don't explain your personnel, role or system.

but PER against does and Collins has a +9.6 PER against.  Collins allowed a 15.7 PER against last year (while posting a 25.2) at the power forward.  Parker allowed an 18.1 PER against last year while posting a 20.5 for Washington last year at the 4.

Carter has a very small sample at the 4 last year but allowed a 17.1 PER against last year while posting a 5.2.  So yah...Parker > Carter at the 4.

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

but PER against does and Collins has a +9.6 PER against.  Collins allowed a 15.7 PER against last year (while posting a 25.2) at the power forward.  Parker allowed an 18.1 PER against last year while posting a 20.5 for Washington last year at the 4.

Carter has a very small sample at the 4 last year but allowed a 17.1 PER against last year while posting a 5.2.  So yah...Parker > Carter at the 4.

Parker is a much better player than most vet min types. That topic is, is he a decent defender. That he is not.

Just now, thecampster said:

BaH!!!!!! Hunter is a 3...stop calling him a 4 because you want Reddish to start.

He is a forward who can play multiple positions. He will be used everywhere but at 1.

Fun fact....we now have the

#2 pick from 2010, 2014.

#4 from 2019

#5 from 2013, 2018

#10 from 2019

6 lottery selections now on the roster, throw in Collins and Huerter at 19 and you have 8 picks all top 19.  If tanking works, we should be the poster child now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, safe to say that Coach Pierce has quite the job on his hands this coming season. Trying to keep Trae and Huerter from hitting the sophomore jinx. Developing even younger players, like Reddish, Bruno, and Hunter. Trying to keep Hot Plate, Jr. (see Spellman, Omari) from emptying buffet lines across the metro area. And now, adding another young player he needs to help fly in the right direction (see what I did there?) in Parker. 

While I'm not the greatest fan of his work, my guess is that you could do much worse with $6.5M than having someone hang 15/7 in 27 minutes a night. If he does that again along with the occasional spot start (see injuries), he's going to get paid regardless of how much of a colander he is on the other side of the court. And besides, he's not that worse a defender than what they've had last season. Of course, they only won 29 games, but still.

This roster is filling out pretty quickly, especially considering that there is no legit backup point guard or center on the roster (until Bruno proves otherwise off the rip). We'll see how this shakes out soon enough...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1