• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

You should ALWAYS draft for fit. That way you don't draft guys who don't fit like Josh Jackson for Phoenix. 

That said, you need to draft the best mix of FIT, talent, and skill for your style of play. What would appeal to OKC doesn't appeal to Atlanta. 

Bembry is not a fit at all. He's a leftover from the previous regime on a cheap contract. 

Being a better fit than Bembry is easy. Most of the top 30 is a better fit than Bembry.

Potential is only potential when it works within your personnel, system, coaching, development route, and personality mesh.

Drafting for fit is how we missed out on Brandon Roy, because we believed that we needed a stronger presence in the frontcourt ( which was true ).

We already had our young "wings" ( JJ, Marvin, Childress, Smoove ), so why draft Roy when we needed help in the frontcourt badly?  Shelden was supposed to shore up our rebounding and defensive issues.  I, and apparently our GM, got duped into believing that.

The 1 - 2 punch of JJ and Brandon, supplemented by the others, could've been something really special.  It would've literally put us a decent big or a dynamic PG away from being that #2 team in the East by 2009.

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Drafting for fit is how we missed out on Brandon Roy, because we believed that we needed a stronger presence in the frontcourt ( which was true ).

We already had our young "wings" ( JJ, Marvin, Childress, Smoove ), so why draft Roy when we needed help in the frontcourt badly?  Shelden was supposed to shore up our rebounding and defensive issues.  I, and apparently our GM, got duped into believing that.

The 1 - 2 punch of JJ and Brandon, supplemented by the others, could've been something really special.  It would've literally put us a decent big or a dynamic PG away from being that #2 team in the East by 2009.

You draft talent first and foremost, but fit is an important factor too. The problem with the Sheldon pick was that he sucked, and that was widely known throughout the NBA scouting community. It wasn't like it was a surprise, he was not a fluid athlete, very rigid and mechanical. 

10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Wrong, Brandon Roy would have been the best pick via that style of play as he was by far the best player for our style, personnel of switching, and talent on the board. 

Why?

I think you hear fit and think of need. I explained exactly what I mean by fit. 

LaMelo Ball is the best talent in this draft but Golden State will go with the best fit, talent, and skill for your style of play. 

Going with Shelden was a massive mistake from the offset. He didn't have NBA talent much less NBA skill. Thats like drafting Devin Vassell or Jarrett Culver in the top 8. You last paragraph explains exactly why Roy was the best fit.

I almost broke my best friend at that time television because we drafted Shelden I was so livid and obviously proven correct. 

Roy was a combo guard who could play on and off the ball. Considering BK goals, he would have been the ideal PG in that system. It still angers me to this day. Even more than the CP3 pick because even though I disagree, I can understand how a team can pick Marvin over CP3 in 2005. But I can't understand how you can do Shelden over Roy in that era. Not at all. It was one of the worst draft decisions I've seen. 

As bad as Marvin over CP3 was, Williams over Roy was 10 times as bad considering that squad. I know Roy didn't want to come to Atlanta, hell no one did outside of Paul, I still would have taken him and made it work. We could have traded him later for someone like Steph Curry. 

6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

You draft talent first and foremost, but fit is an important factor too. The problem with the Sheldon pick was that he sucked, and that was widely known throughout the NBA scouting community. It wasn't like it was a surprise, he was not a fluid athlete, very rigid and mechanical. 

This is the point he keeps overlooking. He keeps thinking fit is need. I've clearly stated fit, talent, and skill. When the hell is Shelden who should have been picked outside of the lottery considering the era is the best fit, talent and skills on the board?

7 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Made a nice comeback. Game 6 on Sunday.

I keep saying this but Miami biggest strength is they try to find your weaknesses and exploit it. They arent that good. They are your Woody era Hawks with a lot better roster balance and coaching. 

Boston is the better team on paper and talent wise. They just need to play like a smart team and play to win the game instead of playing to win MVP aka Brown and Tatum. Game 5 was exactly what I wanted from them. Just execute. 

29 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I keep saying this but Miami biggest strength is they try to find your weaknesses and exploit it. They arent that good. They are your Woody era Hawks with a lot better roster balance and coaching. 

Boston is the better team on paper and talent wise. They just need to play like a smart team and play to win the game instead of playing to win MVP aka Brown and Tatum. Game 5 was exactly what I wanted from them. Just execute. 

I agree that Boston is more talented. Tatum and Brown are a formidable pair. But Miami has gotten better guard play offensively in the series, and Jimmy has helped close games with some timely plays. It's going to hard for Boston to win two strait, but it's certainly possible. It's basically 50/50 odds each time they play.

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I agree that Boston is more talented. Tatum and Brown are a formidable pair. But Miami has gotten better guard play offensively in the series, and Jimmy has helped close games with some timely plays. It's going to hard for Boston to win two strait, but it's certainly possible. It's basically 50/50 odds each time they play.

They do an excellent job of exposing the gaps but these things can be fix by simply playing smart. 

• Moderators

I think of Embiid and Okafor as being an example of BPA and Sam Bowie as drafting for need.  Portland had their AS wing but no big man.  Philly already drafted a big man in Nerlens Noel but drafted Embiid anyway believing him the best talent.  Then despite having Embiid they drafted Okafor anyway believing him the best available.

• Like 1

BPA or team need?  Depends.  Do you keep the pick or trade.  If BPA plays the same position as your best player, take him and trade one or the other?

What if the position you need the most has a very good player available?

I's never a simple answer, is is??

:search:

On 9/26/2020 at 6:24 AM, NBASupes said:

I keep saying this but Miami biggest strength is they try to find your weaknesses and exploit it. They arent that good....

How could you fix you mouth to say such a thing?   They’re the only team I really enjoyed watching this year.  They protect their glass, play elite team defense with minimal fouling, and get consistent 3 level scoring with foul drawing and their leader is a floor game savant.  What else you want?!

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, AHF said:

I think of Embiid and Okafor as being an example of BPA and Sam Bowie as drafting for need.  Portland had their AS wing but no big man.  Philly already drafted a big man in Nerlens Noel but drafted Embiid anyway believing him the best talent.  Then despite having Embiid they drafted Okafor anyway believing him the best available.

And I agree with that mindset that Philly had.  When you're at the bottom, you have to draft BPA.  At worst, you could flip the talented guy that didn't fit, for a better fitting piece that is normally a vet player.

Imagine what Portland could've done with Jordan, Drexler, and Kiki Vandeweigh(sp), who from what I used to remember seeing him as a kid, was that he was a lights out scorer.  I get it though. They had their wings and they needed a big.  But man.  What if they made the decision to play Drexler at the point, with Jordan at the 2 and Kiki at the 3?  Find a big man at the junk yard, if you have those 3 on your team.

7 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

How could you fix you mouth to say such a thing?   They’re the only team I really enjoyed watching this year.  They protect their glass, play elite team defense with minimal fouling, and get consistent 3 level scoring with foul drawing and their leader is a floor game savant.  What else you want?!

And they don't care who leads them in scoring, which is dangerous.  Jimmy Butler's willingness to be completely unselfish, while also scoring when he needs to, is the most impressive thing about this team. He's more than willing to trust a 19 year old kid who was hella suspect in big games in college.  And he understands that Bam may be the best player on the theam.

And he's cool with it.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

In Supes defense though, when Bam figured out that he could take over the game by going right after Theis time after time, that changed the game.

The Heat ARE good, but they're excellent in exploiting mismatches. 

The problem in this next series is that Bam and Jimmy must guard Davis and Lebron.  If they can turn both guys into jumpshooters, they have a chance.  If both Davis and Lebron get free reign to the basket, it will be a short series.

Despite that, the Heat deserve all of the praise heaped upon them.  We all would love to have a team with that much chemistry, heart, and talent.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Their play in the bubble has made me a believer. Bam is very unique, not many teams have a guy like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

In Supes defense though, when Bam figured out that he could take over the game by going right after Theis time after time, that changed the game.

The Heat ARE good, but they're excellent in exploiting mismatches. 

The problem in this next series is that Bam and Jimmy must guard Davis and Lebron.  If they can turn both guys into jumpshooters, they have a chance.  If both Davis and Lebron get free reign to the basket, it will be a short series.

Despite that, the Heat deserve all of the praise heaped upon them.  We all would love to have a team with that much chemistry, heart, and talent.

If Lakers role players are hitting threes, they are damn near unbeatable.