• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Pelicans' rebuild looks better than The Hawks'

Peoriabird

1 minute ago, turnermx said:

I also feel that Huerter should be the starter until Cam beats him out.   However, much can be said about increasing the offense of the 2nd unit by having Heurter/Jabari spearhead the offensive attack.  Turner as PG needs as much shooting ability around him as possible.

Cam can do the very same thing as Huerter as far as spear heading anything. The squawk has forgotten just how versatile Huerter is and it's a damn shame

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hawkman said:

The only reason Cam is starting is because Huerter got hurt and didn't get to play in preseason or practice. He still rusty and trying to get back into the swing of things and is on a minutes restriction. Nobody is "giving up on him" or anything like that. It's just recency bias. Once Huerter is 100% he'll be back in the starting lineup bombing threes and being the secondary ballhandler Trae needs. With that said, Cam and Hunter locking down the perimeter in the first two games of this season has been a thing of beauty. I see why Pierce had no problem starting Cam.

Exactly.. I think he is back in the starting lineup next game infact. I do agree that Cam is impressive defensively along with Hunter and is night and day from what we saw last year. The two picks are looking like great picks to me, but so was Huerter! Give the man a little respect

• Like 2

Huerter's still going to be on minutes limit for two more games. I can see it either way, but since the Hawks aren't REALLY struggling like when Collins returned last season, I'd bet on him still not starting tomorrow but playing about 25 minutes.

We shall see after that. If I were a bettor, it'd be he starts but he and Collins are the feature players of the second unit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IheartVolt said:

Exactly.. I think he is back in the starting lineup next game infact. I do agree that Cam is impressive defensively along with Hunter and is night and day from what we saw last year. The two picks are looking like great picks to me, but so was Huerter! Give the man a little respect

No one's giving up on Huerter. I'm actually one of Huerter's biggest supporters.  However, the best FIT for the team seems to be Cam with the starters to provide  better defense and Huerter running the second unit like a super sub with his good offense and team defense.  Both will be on the floor in crunch time.

I don't see Huerter being the starter until he's off a minutes restriction.  I have faith LP will do what's right for the team.  I don't care who starts as long as the Hawks are getting wins or playing competitively. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m coming to Atlanta to meet you all in the playoffs this year. F it it’s time. 😊 Meet me in section 212 for all night fun... wait that sounded weird. Can’t wait! We should get a pickup game going too like a squawk 5 on 5! YE YE!!! 

Seriously a squawk pickup game for charity? @AHF diggin this?

I'll be at the Hawks Rockets game in Houston. I might be at the game in Atlanta 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I'll be at the Hawks Rockets game in Houston. I might be at the game in Atlanta 

I’m gonna be at the

Warriors game in In March. Also trying to hit up both games in LA but ticket prices nutty. 3 games for sure but wanna go to Philips the most! 😊 

If I end up making it to H town I’ll holla. We can talk trash to Austin Rivers together 😂 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I am still nowhere close to wanting to move up Kevin to the starting five. His defense is still awful. Cam defense is much much better and honestly, offensively, the gap isn't that big. Cam still spaces the floor and the defense takes him somewhat seriously. I think we should start Cam for the rest of the season and use Kevin as a 6th man like Manu and Parker as a 6th man like Harrell. Cam for this season as our SAS Danny Green.

Huerter isn't awful on defense, stop playing. Cam is special on defense though.

Offensively - Huerter, even coming off an injury and rusty is still miles better than what Cam has shown, that may ultimately change, but today it isn't.

I'll say what I said again awhile back regarding the rotation.

Huerter starts, he subs out early for Cam so Huerter can run the 2nd unit with Turner, Parker, etc.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Huerter isn't awful on defense, stop playing. Cam is special on defense though.

Offensively - Huerter, even coming off an injury and rusty is still miles better than what Cam has shown, that may ultimately change, but today it isn't.

I'll say what I said again awhile back regarding the rotation.

Huerter starts, he subs out early for Cam so Huerter can run the 2nd unit with Turner, Parker, etc.

Yes it is. We think just having good defensive IQ is good defense, no it's not. You gotta cover your man. Go look at the Draymond, Kevin was one of the bottom 3 defenders of all players in the NBA last season. He don't look any better this year either. 

Kevin off the bench is best for the 2nd unit,  Cam development and Kevin overall impact once he is back into game shape.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

Huerter is better player today than Cam in my opinion. There are pros and cons of Huerter been on the 2nd unit. For me the most important thing is the minutes they play and Huerter, Cam and Hunter need to play 30 min. If that is starting or on the bench is less important. 

Right now Cam starting is working well, his defense is changing the games, his offense is work in progress, his 3 pt shot is off now, 0 of 9 in 2 games... if he is starting he can come slowly offensively and his defense helps a lot the starting unit. 2nd unit need spacing and some ball handling and Huerter fits perfectly there, Bembry, Turner are good defenders, Huerter defense can be hide better there and his offense and passing ability helps a lot Turner.

However the same works for Cam development, he could take more responsibility on the 2nd unit as ball handler and as a shooter and that would make wonders for his development, he fits as well as Huerter. And Huerter offense would be perfect on the first unit, I think Collins is missing him and while Hunter and Len are finding his offensive rhythm Huerter would be a great help and would alleviate some pressure on Young, he cannot play like now forever. 

I would stay like this for some games and then when Cam and Huerter are at full speed change and see how it works, I see both options with positives and negatives.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sillent said:

What happened to the person who made this post? Seems more silent than Sillent right about now lol... Probably ended up going to a Pelicans forum since their preseason shows just how amazing their real season would start off.

@sillent did you predict 50 wins? I think you may have been the only person to predict a higher win total. I hope 🤞🏽 you are right! Let’s do this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I think it's less important who starts and more important who runs with the 2nd unit.  Right now, it's more important to me to have Huerter on the floor with Trae out than with Trae in. It has more to do with Cam's lack of offense than anything. 

I'm fine with starting Huerter but I'd pull him early for Cam and then sub him on whenever you pull Trae. 

Seems to me Cam's elite defense compliments Trae's elite offense whereas Huerter's shooting ability compliments Turner and Bembry's lack of shooting. 

Great post.  Agree that having Huerter’s shooting on that second unit may be a necessity given that several of those guys can’t shoot a jumper consistently to save their life.

• Like 2