• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just how bad is the roster right now? Other than Trae, are any of the players better than replacement level?

REHawksFan

21 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I've been saying it for at least the last three weeks. Our two prized rookies have looked terrible on offense this year. We need to give them time. Hunter is a 21 year old rookie who should be further along than he is. Cam is cookie dough levels of raw out there.

The rest of the team is a bunch bad contracts we got in trades. Len isn't bad but he's regressed this season away from the growth he was showing in the second half last season. Bembry needs serious run to see what he can actually do. 

Our team going into this season was Young, Collins and a distant third in Red Velvet. We didn't know what the rookies would do and Parker was going to be our sixth man. Parker has lived up to being a good sixth man who shouldn't start. Our rookies except for Bruno have honestly been huge disappointments. 

Once we lost Collins and Red Velvet we knew this team was simply broke. There's not enough real NBA talent on our roster to win games. We have now lost 10 straight games with some of those losses being the most embarrassing blowouts I've ever seen as a Hawks fan.  

Really fair assessment.  The only disagreement I'd say is I think several of the players look a lot worse than maybe they would had their roles been what the team expected. For instance, the rookies look a lot worse than they would have because they are being put into situations they were never meant to be in due to JC (bonehead) and Kev's injury. Hunter and Cam were, ideally, going to be 5th or 6th options and not counted on the carry any load for this team until at least later in the season, if at all. 

You mentioned Jabari and I agree he's best off the bench and going up against other teams' bench players. Also, guys like Bembry and Vince should have bit roles on an NBA team, not feature roles every night. 

I also think the team just flat mis-calculated at the C position. I think they thought Len could step into that role after his 2nd half last year but that just isn't who he is. He's a backup, bench C that should get low minutes on a decent team. Frankly, this team just doesn't have a starting C unless and until JC comes back.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Here's a scary thought or two:

What if Collins suspension wasn't 25 games? What if it was for the whole season? Would we break 10 wins on the season? 

What if Trae with all the minutes and beating he takes as being our only real NBA starter on the roster gets hurts? What if he misses the seasons? Would we break 10 wins on the season?

Our two top ten rookies have completely and utterly crapped the bed on us so far. I'm not saying we give up on them but this is the exact opposite of the impact I thought each of them would have on our roster this year.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Sothron said:

Here's a scary thought or two:

What if Collins suspension wasn't 25 games? What if it was for the whole season? Would we break 10 wins on the season? 

Yes.  Once the schedule gets easier, we would improve that win % if the rest of the team is reasonably healthy.

What if Trae with all the minutes and beating he takes as being our only real NBA starter on the roster gets hurts? What if he misses the season? Would we break 10 wins on the season?

No.  If Trae is gone for the season, we are totally cooked.  Even if Collins returned then you are looking at:

Evan Turner

Huerter

Hunter

Collins

Jones

Where is that puke emoticon?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Too much hate Hunter and Reddish gets. Those two are actually good at most areas, they just struggle at putting the ball through the hoop, especially Cam but they do everything else, especially Cam. 

Cam is shooting like 21% from the field and three point line. A blind person could shoot better than that.

Well, Cam and Hunter can struggle, that does not mean they will not be fine medium or long term. 

This team long term potential starters are obviously Trae and Collins and Huerter and Hunter. Parker, Cam and Bruno could become important players with Cam having a much highest ceiling and of course lower floor, very uncertain his future right now although I have confidence in him. Bembry and Jones might be options at the end of the bench. We clearly need to complete the team with 4 players at least, two rookies and 2 FA. I can see us getting Wiseman and a backup PG or Anthony Edwards and a backup PG. A big FA and another wing might round the team. This is going to be a transition year but next year we can compete again

11 hours ago, Sothron said:

I've been saying it for at least the last three weeks. Our two prized rookies have looked terrible on offense this year. We need to give them time. Hunter is a 21 year old rookie who should be further along than he is. Cam is cookie dough levels of raw out there.

The rest of the team is a bunch bad contracts we got in trades. Len isn't bad but he's regressed this season away from the growth he was showing in the second half last season. Bembry needs serious run to see what he can actually do. 

Our team going into this season was Young, Collins and a distant third in Red Velvet. We didn't know what the rookies would do and Parker was going to be our sixth man. Parker has lived up to being a good sixth man who shouldn't start. Our rookies except for Bruno have honestly been huge disappointments. 

Once we lost Collins and Red Velvet we knew this team was simply broke. There's not enough real NBA talent on our roster to win games. We have now lost 10 straight games with some of those losses being the most embarrassing blowouts I've ever seen as a Hawks fan.  

To be fair, the rookies are performing as projected after their first full month AFAIC. 

Active or otherwise??? Injuries and suspension carry so much weight. Especially right now. Oh yeah should mention we should have traded Baze for nothing other than a true backup point guard or a center that is not handicapped. All hindsight now I know. Let us just get two major guys back and see what happens the rest of this season. 

• Premium Member
On 12/2/2019 at 8:32 AM, REHawksFan said:

Consider these stats:

NOTE: For BPM, 0.0 is considered NBA League Average / -2.0 is Replacement Player Level / -5.0 is "Really, really bad"

Hawk Players ranked by BPM with NBA rank in ( ) among players with 300 MP on season

1. Trae - 4.4 BPM (18th in NBA)

2. Jabari - 1.0 BPM (92nd)

3. D. Jones - 1.0 BPM (91st)

4. Bembry - -0.8 BPM (144th)

5. Bruno - -1.4 BPM (NR)

6. Len - -2.9 BPM (206th)

7. Crabbe - -4.9 BPM (NR)

8. Hunter - -5.4 BPM (226th)

9. Turner - -5.9 BPM (NR)

10. Vince - -7.6 BPM (NR)

11. Cam - -7.9 BPM (231st)

Outside of Trae, only Jabari and Damian Jones register as being slightly above league average while you add in Bembry and Bruno as slightly above Replacement Level. The entire rest of the roster is well below replacement level players. I didn't rank Kev and JC as neither is available currently to play, but for reference, JC's BPM is 1.4 while Kev's is -2.8. 

This team (RIGHT NOW) truly is Trae and a bunch of G-league guys with a couple of fringe league avg players thrown in.  

The funny part of this fan base is when the Hawks started losing, someone started a thread asking what's wrong with Trae Young?  The obvious answer to that question is Travis Schlenk's roster.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

The funny part of this fan base is when the Hawks started losing, someone started a thread asking what's wrong with Trae Young?  The obvious answer to that question is Travis Schlenk's roster.

THIS!

• Like 1