• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hiding Trae Defensively is priority going forward...

JTB

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I feel like AI was underrated as a passer.  He's certainly not the distributor that Trae is but his rep as a scorer overshadows everything.   I know Harden probably has more assists but it's also an era now where the Rockets are scoring 120+ a game. 

I don't know if it's still true but i think Korver 3s have been assisted by AI more than anyone else.  Obviously they played together longer. 

AI was a ball hog.  A lot of his assists came off plays where he probed looking for his own shot and eventually just dished to someone else as the clock started to run out.  Korver was the ideal guy for that system since AI could probe for 18 seconds and then start to run out of time and throw it out to Korver who intelligently floated on the perimeter maintaining position where AI would be able to send him the bail-out pass.  AI's teams were always capped on their potential based on how much he dominated the ball, IMO.  And he was much less efficient in those isos than Harden is.  

AI's passing peak was when he was a little past his prime and willing to involve others more naturally in the offense in Denver.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hawkman said:

Why are we pretending like this isn't Trae's second season in the NBA? There's an awful lot of absolutes in this thread for a guy who's still developing. 

I can't claim to offer absolutes.  I just see a cap to his improvement based on his physical tools.  Would be thrilled to see on an All-NBA Defense team some day but I'm hoping for more of a Kyle Korver type of evolution for him.  Especially if it comes with the highlight blocked shots because it would be fun to see Trae swatting LeBron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, hawkman said:

Why are we pretending like this isn't Trae's second season in the NBA? There's an awful lot of absolutes in this thread for a guy who's still developing. 

Trae is on point and I feel like this about the defense as well. Tired of the young excuses. We understand that they’re young but we’re not seeing much improvement on that end. That’s the frustrating part but we did just see Schlenk make some major changes and until capela starts playing we don’t know where we stand.

But There are other young teams playing good or good enough defensively and this team can too!....right now!

• Like 1

It's not that they are young, it's that they don't know how to defend as a group. Trae and Kevin can't defend the perimeter. Teams exposed this last year but last year, Trae/Collins was Stockton/Malone. Teams sell out for the PnR Cam and Hunter, especially Hunter need to let it fly a lot more. 

Kevin obviously needs to let it fly more. The biggest difference is teams know Trae Young now. He is not catching anyone off guard anymore. It's tougher on offense nowadays. 

Defensively, we managed to get worse. Collins has improved but Trae is back to bad Trae, Kevin just needs to be benched, and Jones is a disaster. Dedmon has to do too many like last year and the other centers aren't available. 

• Like 1

Just now, macdaddy said:

Yes.  He's trying to take his game to another level and it isn't working.  He's not going to get calls because he doesn't take it strong to the hoop.  

He does go strong, he just doesn't get to spots at will. In the NBA, getting to spots is a skill. Teams adjusted to him heavily over the off season. He used to get a lot more open looks, not anymore.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He does go strong, he just doesn't get to spots at will. In the NBA, getting to spots is a skill. Teams adjusted to him heavily over the off season. He used to get a lot more open looks, not anymore.

i feel like he bails at the last minute or tries to finesse it around vs going into the chest of the defender.  Either way it ain't working.  And the passes last night.  Good lord.  Quite throwing the ball away dude. 

• Like 1

Just now, macdaddy said:

i feel like he bails at the last minute or tries to finesse it around vs going into the chest of the defender.  Either way it ain't working.  And the passes last night.  Good lord.  Quite throwing the ball away dude. 

Because he doesn't beat the defender. You gotta get to spots without a screen. I've seen too many centers keep him out of the lane as well. 

He got too much on his plate honestly. LP gives him too much responsibility but that's what LP does to all of them, they all got too much responsibility except Bruno. Who doesn't have enough. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Because he doesn't beat the defender. You gotta get to spots without a screen. I've seen too many centers keep him out of the lane as well. 

He got too much on his plate honestly. LP gives him too much responsibility but that's what LP does to all of them, they all got too much responsibility except Bruno. Who doesn't have enough. 

Yeah and maybe Bruno would be further along if he'd played but he was awful last night too.

I am on Team @JTB. I am done with Collins. I don't see it with him and Trae defensively. If I had to choose one of them, good bye John. I been done with Kevin starting, it's time. Cam has been a plus 2 WAR player since DEC after his horrid start. It's time to start Cam. We need to sign Harrell. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JTB said:

Trae is on point and I feel like this about the defense as well. Tired of the young excuses. We understand that they’re young but we’re not seeing much improvement on that end. That’s the frustrating part but we did just see Schlenk make some major changes and until capela starts playing we don’t know where we stand.

But There are other young teams playing good or good enough defensively and this team can too!....right now!

There are a lot of young teams with better records than the Hawks. Who doesn't have a better record than the Hawks? Trae sees this and he is growing tired of the excuses. Next season, its put up or shut up time.

Changes will be coming. Quite honestly its ridiculous we are one of the worse teams in the NBA in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

There are a lot of young teams with better records than the Hawks. Who doesn't have a better record than the Hawks? Trae sees this and he is growing tired of the excuses. Next season, its put up or shut up time.

Changes will be coming. Quite honestly its ridiculous we are one of the worse teams in the NBA in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency.

The biggest needs to be at PF. 

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The biggest needs to be at PF. 

I really don't agree. For the 1st half of the season, it was because we did not have Collins and Huerter. Now with Collins and Huerter back, its the same old coaches pass, we are to young.

I think we are being out coached every night. Like another poster said, even the games we win, we almost lose. I think with Trae, Reddish, Huerter, Hunter, Collins, Dedmon, Fernando, and Capela all about to be healthy, plus we added Teague and Goodwin, LD needs to stop with the excuses.

I think this is pretty much what Trae is saying without saying it, stop with the excuses LP.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am on Team @JTB. I am done with Collins. I don't see it with him and Trae defensively. If I had to choose one of them, good bye John. I been done with Kevin starting, it's time. Cam has been a plus 2 WAR player since DEC after his horrid start. It's time to start Cam. We need to sign Harrell. 

What do you mean by "done"? Does that mean let him walk, trade him, low ball him? 20 and 10 doesn't grow on trees.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Wait supes I haven’t given up on JC yet 😂...I do think Cam should be starting immediately though. Huerter is and always was a role guy. 

but as for JC I want to see if capelas presence will help make JC more avg on defense and the starting of Cam and hunter also should help out more with Traes horror defense  too.

by all means sign Harrell though I completely agree with that now! Besides just being a better defender than JC, we also need his energy and passion for this whole team.

im not trying to be overly optimistic but I KNOW cam, Hunter, Capela is a more than just a formidable trio to have on defense and they can all be great defensively especially when the communication gets good...but I want to know how they do covering Trae and Collins cause even after improvements from trae and JC the other 3 will still have to cover their mistakes! That’s the big question I have and if they aren’t able to do it I think we will know sooner than later.

i wouldn’t trade JC just yet though. I’d wait until the trade deadline of next year and he’ll be on audition so that also means no max contract extension this summer .