• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

One of the most bizarre decisions to me was the closing of the border to European travelers.  You know that when you announce this everyone will return home to the US.  But there was zero screening of people and they didn't even recommend quarantining returning travelers (or at least our multiple people did not get any such direction).  We've got US employees who were getting their temperatures checked for the past two weeks when they went to Mexico but there was zero effort back home to try to contain the impact of these people returning from a zone we've deemed high enough risk to shut down.  We had our guys returning from Europe volunteer to quarantine but they said other than fewer people in the airport there was zero difference from a normal trip.  So much low hanging fruit out there that went untapped.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Any wonder GA is now expected to be a next "hot spot"?

And the governor gets on yesterday saying they didn't know asymptomatic folks could be passin' this thing around.

Ok, people have known that since January.  If he says "duh, we di'nt know til the las' 24 hours, blah, blah, blah .." then he's either a f*kng liar or a f*kng idiot.  One or the other.

Uh...not understanding why it has to be one or the other with that guy. Maybe something more like both and add just a tad bit of "lets do some crimes man".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm on conference calls with staunch Republicans from the Midwest and Kemp is such a laughing stock that they are bringing him up and slamming him.

Bet if Kemp's hair was orange they would have a very different sentiment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm on conference calls with staunch Republicans from the Midwest and Kemp is such a laughing stock that they are bringing him up and slamming him.

It's like, if you're gonna lie, come up with a better one.

'Uh, we didn't know', when like everyone knows, is a horrid excuse.

And it's not even a political thing for me.  I reject idiocy no matter what gang you claim.

• Like 3

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It's like, if you're gonna lie, come up with a better one.

'Uh, we didn't know', when like everyone knows, is a horrid excuse.

And it's not even a political thing for me.  I reject idiocy no matter what gang you claim.

Yeah, that was what I was trying to say.  Everyone regardless of political leaning thinks that was so stupid as to be unbelievable.  He isn't teflon enough to be able to shrug that kind of moronic statement off.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, AHF said:

He isn't teflon enough to be able to shrug that kind of moronic statement off.

It's Georgia. Probably no lasting repercussions unfortunately. Does Lester Maddox riding sitting backwards on a bicycle in a damn parade while serving as Governor sound remotely familiar? Some folks just about worshipped the bigot. I was really young and maybe the only time I really thought of violence in great detail. TMI right, but do think the point is serious, we need to vote our asses off in November because Donald is not so, so much different than Lester. Going backwards.

• Moderators

We do have a board for politics so let's take any more political discussion (particularly political discussion that isn't directly connected to the coronavirus situation) to that board.

Still think NBA can have games in May if they use a cordoned off centralized location, with only team, coaches, doctors, and a skeleton crew of media. By then point-of-care tests are likely available. The key is testing prior to arrival, before entrance into the hermetically sealed basketball bunker.

Maybe itll be college tournament style. Every game on the same court. Make it a one-and-done, best out of three. Get creative, whatever. Just do it.

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Still think NBA can have games in May if they use a cordoned off centralized location, with only team, coaches, doctors, and a skeleton crew of media. By then point-of-care tests are likely available. The key is testing prior to arrival, before entrance into the hermetically sealed basketball bunker.

Maybe itll be college tournament style. Every game on the same court. Make it a one-and-done, best out of three. Get creative, whatever. Just do it.

They can't do all this in 30 days to start in May! They'd have to solid prep for at least 2 months.

They'd have to start the process now:

first test and quarantine for at least 14-21 days every single person before 'bunkering'.  If anyone tests positive in than 14-21 day window that only extends the 'start' time frame.

This is the biggest thing:

You'd also have to add a whole lot more onsite support personnel for food services (how would food deliveries be handled)  - chefs, cooks, servers, dishwashers etc., janitorial staff for laundry (not just for jerseys afters games) and room cleaning, maintenance crews etc. medical equipment and personnel for xrays and MRIs etc if a player gets hurt - would these kind of people be willing to not see their families for the 'rest of the season?' (I guess if they are paid handsomely).

So for the last 3 weeks or so, my adult son and I have been talking about the future fallout of this crisis. Instead of hammering what leader did what and who to trust, etc. We've talked about different countries and how it would affect them.  The conversation returned time and again to how China was not truthful from the beginning. About the time the first cases were reported in New York, China started trickle reporting. They overnight jumped their cases to meet what foreigners were seeing. Then they expelled foreign journalists from the country.  Their case numbers broke 80,000 and then poof, they started trickling and stand at only 83000 4 weeks later.  He and I have been discussing when the backlash for 1) China hiding the virus at the start, 2) Their initial under reporting of numbers, 3) the known human rights abuses that followed and 4) the return to under-reporting following the expulsion of foreign journalists.  This morning, I got this article in my FB feed.  Its about to begin and the world is going to get tense in the coming weeks as the world turns on China. I'm very curious to how our media is going to cover this going forward. Sean Lennon seems to think they won't.

https://www.westernjournal.com/imagine-john-lennons-son-blasts-media-parroting-chinese-propaganda/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=thenewvoice&fbclid=IwAR1xc_iYynggXDTHb-DIjSkgCJfXjQFpmYKSQQhAcwoJB39-Vd8BvrgFuo4

• Like 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So for the last 3 weeks or so, my adult son and I have been talking about the future fallout of this crisis. Instead of hammering what leader did what and who to trust, etc. We've talked about different countries and how it would affect them.  The conversation returned time and again to how China was not truthful from the beginning. About the time the first cases were reported in New York, China started trickle reporting. They overnight jumped their cases to meet what foreigners were seeing. Then they expelled foreign journalists from the country.  Their case numbers broke 80,000 and then poof, they started trickling and stand at only 83000 4 weeks later.  He and I have been discussing when the backlash for 1) China hiding the virus at the start, 2) Their initial under reporting of numbers, 3) the known human rights abuses that followed and 4) the return to under-reporting following the expulsion of foreign journalists.  This morning, I got this article in my FB feed.  Its about to begin and the world is going to get tense in the coming weeks as the world turns on China. I'm very curious to how our media is going to cover this going forward. Sean Lennon seems to think they won't.

https://www.westernjournal.com/imagine-john-lennons-son-blasts-media-parroting-chinese-propaganda/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=thenewvoice&fbclid=IwAR1xc_iYynggXDTHb-DIjSkgCJfXjQFpmYKSQQhAcwoJB39-Vd8BvrgFuo4

I've said several times in this thread, you don't trust the nimbers coming out of China and anyone depending on China to be truthful is wasting their time. 

However, the next few weeks and the immediate future should be focused on making sure that the PPE supplies and ventilators get where they need to go, flattening the curve, testing, testing and more testing,  finding treatment plans and coming up with a vaccine.

• Like 3