• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Well @sturt, i don't know that it's productive to keep going other than to say that i think we just view what actions the government should be taking differently.   And i certainly disagree with how the president handles the daily briefings but that's a political discussion.

But criticism of the leadership is actually the only way it changes, and that is more the case with the current federal leadership, both congress and the white house, than ever.   So i don't think it's about the election at all.   What they respond to is push back when they are screwing up.  

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Thanks Camp.  This is good stuff and I'm glad you were there for your team.   I'm sure they are thankful.

On this type of subject, and in an effort to be more helpful, i wanted to get some opinions on groceries.   At some point we all have to get more food.   What is everyone's thoughts on grocery delivery?   On one hand it is another person touching all your stuff vs. personally going to the store and being exposed.   And then there is the ethical question of putting someone else at risk so I don't have to venture out.   (realizing that they need the money but still).

I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.   No judgement for sure because there are no really good answers here. 

I've done grocery delivery. (I've also braved the Supermarket and Pharmacy, I try to go when it's quieter -  mid mornings after the rush for wipes and TP, and before lunch)

We've set up a decontamination zone in garage :laugh:.

Refrigerated stuff gets lysoled. Fruits get a gentle bath of vinegar and water, non perishables get a 3 day isolation then a wash in warm soapy water.

Overreaction? Maybe, but they got some nasty ass buggers deliberately coughing and licking stuff in supermarkets.

I told my husband I can't believe we're doing this.

#NewNormalIGuess

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How soon is it scheduled to be available and in what quantities?

Will it be used to just test symtomatic patients? Or EVERYBODY?

It's supposed to be available within a week. They are shipping out 50,000 tests a day. Symptoms have no bearing on the outcome of the test. It either detects the presence of the Covid-19 virus or it doesn't. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

i think we just view what actions the government should be taking differently. 

If that's to say "I want them to establish price controls," yes we're at an impasse.

Other than that, though, I'm not sure what you want them to do that they aren't apparently doing... ie, other than rewinding the tape and manipulating the time/space continuum so that their efforts would start earlier, which I'm sure all of us, including them, wish could be done.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I've done grocery delivery. (I've also braved the Supermarket and Pharmacy, I try to go when it's quieter -  mid mornings after the rush for wipes and TP, and before lunch)

We've set up a decontamination zone in garage :laugh:.

Refrigerated stuff gets lysoled. Fruits get a gentle bath of vinegar and water, non perishables get a 3 day isolation then a wash in warm soapy water.

Overreaction? Maybe, but they got some nasty ass buggers deliberately coughing and licking stuff in supermarkets.

I told my husband I can't believe we're doing this.

#NewNormalIGuess

When I'm out, I have these on.  If I don;t have a mask, I'll make sure that I'm not touching ( bleep ).

Clorox 2-Count Large Nitrile Cleaning Gloves at Lowes.com

After I leave the store, I spray the gloves down with this and go into a hand washing motion with the gloves on:

Kroger - (LMTD QTY) Kroger® Lemon Anti-Bacterial Multi Surface ...

My next purchase is probably this, if I can't get a hold of any masks.

2020 Pure Cotton CS Outdoor Supplies Head Cover Inside Gallbladder ...

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

If that's to say "I want them to establish price controls," yes we're at an impasse.

Other than that, though, I'm not sure what you want them to do that they aren't apparently doing... ie, other than rewinding the tape and manipulating the time/space continuum so that their efforts would start earlier, which I'm sure all of us, including them, wish could be done.

Use the power and resources of the federal government to get much needed supplies.  This isn't a rewind thing.  This is an urgent, right now and going forward thing.  When Stephon Marbury is stepping in to find a supply of masks for healthcare workers then we have a failure of leadership.   How long have we been short of masks for healthcare workers?  

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It's supposed to be available within a week. They are shipping out 50,000 tests a day. Symptoms have no bearing on the outcome of the test. It either detects the presence of the Covid-19 virus or it doesn't. 

I'm asking if the test will be readily available for any and everyone?

25 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My husband has been following this stuff since January on BBC World News. I was a little on the skeptical side initially, but he kept talking about it.

Eventually, I took note, that 1st week in March we started gradually preparing, not over buying but - stocking the pantry with a more non perishables, a few extra can goods, taking stock of toilet paper, paper towels, detergent, bath and hand soap, etc. so we didn't have to BUM rush the supermarket to get stuff by the time the State of Emergency was declared.

We’re going to have to wipe the slate clean after that statement. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

But criticism of the leadership is actually the only way it changes,

To be clear, we might agree on this but I'm not sure... criticize those things that merit it and actually can be changed, yes.

What I'm not down for is (a) criticism to the exclusion of appreciation for what is good, ie, a disregard for balance... and (b) criticism regarding things that cannot be changed... eg, it is pointless/unproductive right now to be rehearsing a litany of all that is wrong with the POTUS right now... he is who he is, for one, and for two, he's going to be president at least until next fall.

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

Use the power and resources of the federal government to get much needed supplies. 

Um. No offense, but 75% of yesterday's WH briefing was about just that. They're doing that.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, sturt said:

What I'm not down for is (a) criticism to the exclusion of appreciation for what is good, ie, a disregard for balance..

Yeah.  we don't really disagree there but i'd say this is just part and parcel of being in charge of anything.   When did Obama ever get credit from anyone on the right for anything that he did.  Same with Bush.    

In times of crisis we should be able to appreciate good work and i think we've seen some of that.   Newsom and Cuomo have offered some praise of Trump and feds when warranted.  Everyone i know of has praised the hiring of Fauci.  So i think some of what you want is there.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

i'd say this is just part and parcel of being in charge of anything.   When did Obama ever get credit from anyone on the right for anything that he did.  Same with Bush. 

I hate that we're disagreeing as much as we are.

This is a crisis. But it is a public health crisis.

We had a financial crisis at the front of Obama's run, and yes, fiscal conservatives... by definition practically... disagreed with a lot of his decisions since he was a fiscal liberal.

But when people have a common enemy... whether that's the cowards behind the 9/11 attack, or this virus... there is no natural disagreement to be presumed.

Bush, to the contrary, got a whole lot of credit immediately following the 9/11 attack. That morphed over time largely because of his decision to expand the military campaign beyond Afghanistan and go after Iraq... and more so, really, after being in Iraq for a long time. But in those first days and even for several weeks, both left and right were united behind Bush.

I'm not suggesting that people turn a blind eye to Trump, but to be more patient and tolerant than they've ever been... more discerning to engage only in productive criticism.... better or worse, he is and will be the president through this ordeal.

• Premium Member

Ooomph!

The captain of a nuclear aircraft carrier with more than 100 sailors infected with the coronavirus pleaded Monday with U.S. Navy officials for resources to allow isolation of his entire crew and avoid possible deaths in a situation he described as quickly deteriorating.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Exclusive-Captain-of-aircraft-carrier-with-15167883.php

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Thanks Camp.  This is good stuff and I'm glad you were there for your team.   I'm sure they are thankful.

On this type of subject, and in an effort to be more helpful, i wanted to get some opinions on groceries.   At some point we all have to get more food.   What is everyone's thoughts on grocery delivery?   On one hand it is another person touching all your stuff vs. personally going to the store and being exposed.   And then there is the ethical question of putting someone else at risk so I don't have to venture out.   (realizing that they need the money but still).

I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.   No judgement for sure because there are no really good answers here. 

So when I said I bought extra flour and sugar, we already had 2 full containers but I bought 10 lb bags of each. There are also extra boxes of pancake/waffle mix, powdered milk, etc. Basically, anything that can be used in baking including binders besides eggs.  Baking and know how to bake will save your bacon in a time like this. Also, skillet baking (look it up), being able to make naan (more skillet stuff from india), learning very creative cooking with rice (see the Ancient near east cooking sites) and protein substitutes. The super market aisles are all empty for perishables but there are cans and bags of nuts, beans, etc all available and all technically non-perishable.  An air fryer and/or a toaster oven can help with meal prep and make your life easy.  We have an insta-pot and if you're creative with soups and stews, beans are your friend when times are tough.  most importantly, everything mentioned here takes up very little room in a pantry and is packed with what you need to keep going.

And now for my favorite recipe (meat or not doesn't matter).  1 lb beef (browned and drained), 1 can V8 juice, 1 packet taco seasoning, 1 can (large) of bush's chili beans will make some of the best chili you ever had. yes taco seasoning...its pretty much everything + v8 that chili is. Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat. Done.  Very good for you, easy to make and very inexpensive.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So when I said I bought extra flour and sugar, we already had 2 full containers but I bought 10 lb bags of each. There are also extra boxes of pancake/waffle mix, powdered milk, etc. Basically, anything that can be used in baking including binders besides eggs.  Baking and know how to bake will save your bacon in a time like this. Also, skillet baking (look it up), being able to make naan (more skillet stuff from india), learning very creative cooking with rice (see the Ancient near east cooking sites) and protein substitutes. The super market aisles are all empty for perishables but there are cans and bags of nuts, beans, etc all available and all technically non-perishable.  An air fryer and/or a toaster oven can help with meal prep and make your life easy.  We have an insta-pot and if you're creative with soups and stews, beans are your friend when times are tough.  most importantly, everything mentioned here takes up very little room in a pantry and is packed with what you need to keep going.

And now for my favorite recipe (meat or not doesn't matter).  1 lb beef (browned and drained), 1 can V8 juice, 1 packet taco seasoning, 1 can (large) of bush's chili beans will make some of the best chili you ever had. yes taco seasoning...its pretty much everything + v8 that chili is. Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat. Done.  Very good for you, easy to make and very inexpensive.

Yes . . . to all of this.