• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Not yet F that. The Hawks haven’t won a championship.

#ridetillidie #fuckcorona #fuckcancer #thistooshallpass

I agree.  The Hawks ( or Bengals ) need to win a championship before it all ends.  It would be my luck that right when both of my teams get a superstar ( Trae and Joe Burrow ), the world is going to hell.

Just give us 5 years Lord.  Give us 5 years to win that championship.  Then do what you have to do with us.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And here we go.

• Trump extends the "social distancing guidelines" until April 30th.  This after Dr. Fauci told him that millions could possibly be infected or die 
  • Tennessee Governor finally decides to pull the trigger and shut down all non-essential businesses for 2 weeks ( which will do nothing, but he has to feel like he's doing something ).  The Gallatin nursing home deaths and infections, along with about 1,500 doctors and nurses telling him to issue this order, forced his hand.

• Virginia Governor ORDERING state residents not to go out, unless they have to . . until June 10th, the most extreme measure yet.  He got mad because everybody was at the beaches last weekend.
  • Maryland Governor has done the same thing, but not given a date on how long it will last, although the order goes into effect at 8 pm.  He flat out said that violation could lead up to 1 year in prison or a $5,000 fine - ( NOTE: VA's Governor is a Democrat . . MD's Governor is a Republican )

• Drivers from NY and NJ are being screened at the Florida and Georgia state line at I-95
  • Rhode Island's attempt to force NY people entering the state to quarantine for 14 days, may go through now, seeing the actions of other states.

I know people hate it has come to this, but this is what it's going to take at this point. Too many people refused to comply with the more lenient stay at home orders. 

• Sad 4

9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Joe Burrow

Congrats on that. He’s the real deal. Better than even the great Carson Palmer. 😊 I do miss some Carson to ocho cinco for sure though. Even some Dhani Jones. Miss that dude’s show where he traveled the world. 

I wish my Lions 🦁 had the 2nd pick and Chase Young but we looking at Okudah or a trade down scenario.

@TheNorthCydeRises do you have a baseball ⚾️ team? Don’t say the Seattle Mariners 😂 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Drivers from NY and NJ are being screened at the Florida and Georgia state line at I-95

Louisiana traffic into Texas is being halted for screening, and as I understand it, the way it works is if you're just a regular guy/gal, you're being told you may be visited at your residence over the next 2 weeks and if they find you're not there to self-quarantine as ordered when you crossed the border, then if/when they find you, there will be legal consequences. If you have business crossing the border, they're taking your temperature, and if you're running a fever, you're re-directed to some holding location to receive further testing.

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Congrats on that. He’s the real deal. Better than even the great Carson Palmer. 😊 I do miss some Carson to ocho cinco for sure though. Even some Dhani Jones. Miss that dude’s show where he traveled the world. 

I wish my Lions 🦁 had the 2nd pick and Chase Young but we looking at Okudah or a trade down scenario.

@TheNorthCydeRises do you have a baseball ⚾️ team? Don’t say the Seattle Mariners 😂 

Worse.  Cincinnati Reds.

On the Nashville TV stations, that's the team that Middle Tennessee saw the most.  If you had cable, you could see Braves games.  But in the mid 80s - early 90s, the Reds were the team.

After the 1990 World Series title, I think they've been to the playoffs just 3 times.  That '95 Braves team just smoked them.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It looks like these Governors are taking things into their own hands, regardless of what the White House says.

Like or dislike the person occupying the oval office, regardless, it's true that it is appropriate for the states to make choices for themselves. Would be inappropriate for the feds to intervene. It's their role to support, not dictate. No different than when we've faced any other natural disaster, and unfortunately, as a flooding victim from Hurricane Harvey, I know that from up-close.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Like I said . . everything is being exposed.   People have talked about infrastructure projects for years, but have kicked the can down the road.   Rural areas are even more neglected from this standpoint.  I won't get into the political side of how rural Americans vote against their best interest at times when it comes to these issues.  But it's all getting exposed now.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2020/03/30/coronavirus-highlights-internet-access-inequality-tennessee/2916210001/

I don't want this to be political but since we've crossed the Rubicon on that already on this thread I will say this and leave it alone.

Unless you are financially independent you are out of your mind to vote Republican. Always, ALWAYS vote in your economic best interest. Everything else in life is trivial compared to your ability to provide for yourself and your family both now and in the future.

This pandemic has ripped the wool from people's eyes on how paper thin our country actually runs.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Like or dislike the person occupying the oval office, regardless, it's true that it is appropriate for the states to make choices for themselves. Would be inappropriate for the feds to intervene. It's their role to support, not dictate. No different than when we've faced any other natural disaster, and unfortunately, as a flooding victim from Hurricane Harvey, I know that from up-close.

But this is a little different than a hurricane or earthquake.   This is actually a situation that's affecting the entire country at the same time.  Maybe at different intensities, but at the same time nonetheless. This situation is more similar to an attack on the entire country, than a natural disaster affecting a certain region of the country.  Like when 9/11 happened, the individual states didn't tell the FAA to ground the planes.  They did that own their own to protect the entire country.

When you leave it up to the individual states, you have situations like you had in Florida, with thousands of kids on the beach, possibly infecting each other.  If most agree that "flattening the curve" will avoid a healthcare system collapse, everyone has to be on the same playbook.  We're going to prolong this, and make it worse, because you have 50 states doing 50 different things.

Luckily Dr. Fauci has finally got through to Trump about how grave this situation could be, if we really don't get this under control and get people away from each other.  And the Governors definitely went to extreme measures when they heard Fauci the past 2 days.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Like when 9/11 happened, the individual states didn't tell the FAA to ground the planes. 

Naturally. The FAA is a federal agency, and flight is ordinarily a matter of interstate commerce--which, again naturally, warrants federal action, not state-by-state.

It truly is exactly the same as any other natural disaster.

It is for each state to determine what they need to do to best secure their voters/citizens, who will hold their own elected leadership accountable and rightfully so. The federal government's role is to support the states, and we all will eventually hold our nation's leadership accountable for how well they supported the states. I didn't write the rules. It's just how the system is designed. As you yourself said, indeed there are differences in intensity, and so some states like Arkansas are not nearly as affected as we are here as their southern neighbor in Louisiana.

To your point about spring break beaches, that's well-taken and perhaps there should have been more explicit recommendations coming from DC to Florida and Texas; but "recommendation," not dictation. Our government/political system is organized around, among others, the libertarian philosophy of letting those most affected have the latitude to make decisions they believe to be prudent.

I for one think that is as it should be, but regardless, if people want that to change to have more power concentrated in Washington DC, it will be necessary to wait until this is over and try to advance legislation to change it. For now, it is what it is.

As for Trump's stated aspiration to get everyone back to work by Easter, said about this time last week, my working theory has been that that was simply a strategic ploy to get the stock markets out of their freefalling ways... the markets were only hearing doom and gloom public health reports, and sensing that no one was really caring anything about the economics of the ecology to that point. So, while I personally doubt it was Trump's idea (but who knows), that extant nod to the mere desire to get past this situation was enough to flatten that downward curve (... and btw, I did not vote for either behemoth party's candidate in 2016, so I feel some credibility as an independent observer here).

Therefore, I believe Fauci, too, when he says that Trump didn't need a whole lot of convincing, once he saw the data over the weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Worse.  Cincinnati Reds.

On the Nashville TV stations, that's the team that Middle Tennessee saw the most.  If you had cable, you could see Braves games.  But in the mid 80s - early 90s, the Reds were the team.

After the 1990 World Series title, I think they've been to the playoffs just 3 times.  That '95 Braves team just smoked them.

Ya but you had Ron Gant and Reggie Sanders. You love a Barry and I love a Barry. We do have something in common. #sanderslarkin #barrylove #notbuddylove #sabogoggles 🥽 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sturt said:

(... and btw, I did not vote for either behemoth party's candidate in 2016, so I feel some credibility as an independent observer here).

Ah, so that's where at least one of my write-in votes came from.

Thank you for your support, stuff.

😎

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, sturt said:

I'd had the same thought strike me--just that it feels strange (nothing more than that, not at all suggesting wild conspiracy theories or anything) that I've spent significantly more time this past week on Facebook than normal, and you'd think that someone among the 500-ish people who are "friends" there would have either indicated they had it, or if not themselves, reported and posted, as I did, that someone in their own circles (some larger, some smaller than 500, no doubt) had contracted it, or worse.

But no. Just me.

There are 160,000 confirmed cases in the US. In a nation of 350,000,000 people, that is .05% of the population. That's 5 of every 10,000 people. So it's actually probable none of your 500 Facebook friends would have been diagnosed with Covid-19. As I have stated previously though, there are countless asymptomatic or mild cases. Perhaps 10x times the number of confirmed cases. So if you tested all 500 Facebook, an asymptomatic Covid-19 case would certainly be possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But this is a little different than a hurricane or earthquake.   This is actually a situation that's affecting the entire country at the same time.  Maybe at different intensities, but at the same time nonetheless. This situation is more similar to an attack on the entire country, than a natural disaster affecting a certain region of the country.  Like when 9/11 happened, the individual states didn't tell the FAA to ground the planes.  They did that own their own to protect the entire country.

When you leave it up to the individual states, you have situations like you had in Florida, with thousands of kids on the beach, possibly infecting each other.  If most agree that "flattening the curve" will avoid a healthcare system collapse, everyone has to be on the same playbook.  We're going to prolong this, and make it worse, because you have 50 states doing 50 different things.

Luckily Dr. Fauci has finally got through to Trump about how grave this situation could be, if we really don't get this under control and get people away from each other.  And the Governors definitely went to extreme measures when they heard Fauci the past 2 days.

I think it should be at least be noted not every nation is taking our approach. Sweden, Brazil and Mexico are not practicing social distancing very much, if at all. I'm curious to see what happens in those nations over the next month.

Another thing about Dr.Fauci, he has been wrong often throughout his career. His predictions about HIV turned out wrong, so did his predictions about H1N1. Earlier in March at a congressional hearing he said Covid-19 has a fatality rate of 2%. That number will prove to be way too high. Any honest look at the data and the nature of highly contagious viral infections will show a rate of well below 1%. I'm not saying this shouldn't be taken seriously, but I think it's irresponsible for so-called experts to use highly questionable numbers to make their case.

• Like 1

On Sunday when both Birx and Fauci made broad predictions of 100,000 to 200,000 fatalities from this, that is when the sky dropped a good bit for me. Most of us will get through it but the loss of life and scars left behind am afraid really is gonna be mind boggling. Gonna start appreciating how wonderful a sunny day can be a lot more right now.

9 minutes ago, Thomas said:

On Sunday when both Birx and Fauci made broad predictions of 100,000 to 200,000 fatalities from this, that is when the sky dropped a good bit for me. Most of us will get through it but the loss of life and scars left behind am afraid really is gonna be mind boggling. Gonna start appreciating how wonderful a sunny day is a lot more right now.

Some were predictions millions dead, so these numbers are actually a significant improvement. 

• Moderators

We currently have states competing with each other for resources to fight this.   That's really bad and screams for strong federal intervention.  

So found out yesterday that my next door neighbor had coronavirus starting 3 weeks ago and has recovered.   His illness followed the pattern you are hearing out there.  Starts out relatively mild and then 5 days of horrible illness and difficulty breathing.  But he did recover without having to go to the hospital.  I think anyway.  We didn't talk for very long.   He did get tested and confirmed but of course the confirmation that he had it was toward the end of his recovery but that's Georgia right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Ah, so that's where at least one of my write-in votes came from.

Thank you for your support, stuff.

😎

Yep. And my first campaign 2020 donation check is "in the mail." Be sure to watch for it. 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm looking forward to Abbot laboratories portable 5 minute test being widely available soon. I think that will be a game changer for the NBA. They could test all players, coaches, staff and camera crew on site, and do it daily. The test is molecular, not an antibody test, so it catches it early. With that knowledge in hand they could have games with a very negligible risk of spreading Covid-19. I would see no reason why games without crowds could not take place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1