• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Sorry to hear that. Are they doing anything to mitigate the spread in the Philippines? In some countries, like Brazil for example, they aren't altering behavior at all.

I have a Filipino doctor friend from Beaumont, TX who wrote this to me on Facebook this morning:

Philippines has locked down when there was only 50 cases or so. The virus though is suspected to be all over and spreading. There is a dire lack of test kits until recently when they received thousands from China and WHO. There are at least 6 physicians that I am aware of that died. One of my professors is comatose due to CoVid19 complications. There is dire need of PPEs as well. Hopefully the early lock down will make a difference. They have yet to reach a thousand cases as of last night. Am so sorry to hear about your brother in law. Hope the rest of the family is safe there.

• Sad 5

9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Dolan got Corona. I was going to make a new topic in around the nba but thought lw3 might do it sometime... or not. Probably pleases some Knick fans out there.

Imagine Charles Oakley will have quite the snide comment on that particular case of the virus.

So Dolan really is quite the ownership mogul, had no idea he had his hands in so many different entities.

Dolan is the first U.S. major pro sports owner known to have tested positive for the virus. He owns the NBA's Knicks, the NHL's New York Rangers, the New York Liberty as well as their regional sports networks, which include MSG Network and MSG Plus along with other venues like Radio City Music Hall, The Hulu Theatre and The Chicago Theatre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Imagine Charles Oakley will have quite the snide comment on that particular case of the virus.

So Dolan really is quite the ownership mogul, had no idea he had his hands in so many different entities.

Dolan is the first U.S. major pro sports owner known to have tested positive for the virus. He owns the NBA's Knicks, the NHL's New York Rangers, the New York Liberty as well as their regional sports networks, which include MSG Network and MSG Plus along with other venues like Radio City Music Hall, The Hulu Theatre and The Chicago Theatre.

The word “karma” might be uttered by some disgruntled Knicks fans including Oakley and others regarding this one.

He generally likes to play slave-like mind games with non whites. Donald Sterling part II here.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

The word “karma” might be uttered by some disgruntled Knicks fans including Oakley and others regarding this one.

He generally likes to play slave-like mind games with non whites. Donald Sterling part II here.

He's a terrible owner but accusations of racism are completely meritless. You can't just smear somebody as a racist because you don't like him.

Edited by bleachkit
  • Like 1

• Moderators

In the already hard-hit state of Louisiana, the virus claimed the life of one prominent former Falcons QB's father.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28966199/bobby-hebert-sr-father-former-saint-falcon-bobby-hebert-jr-dies-covid-19

Hebert Jr. [T-Bob's dad ~lw3] broke down crying in a recent appearance on WWL while describing his father's battle with the virus. He described his father as a "fighter" who survived colon cancer, multiple strokes and a birth defect that required open-heart surgery.

But, Hebert Jr. said, "You can be tough and the virus can still overwhelm you," before insisting that people heed the advice of health officials because "it's an unseen enemy."

~lw3

• Sad 2

To take a break from the leaning towards a racism thread (or falsely identified as one) no matter what Oakley or whoever thinks either way you know, Spain lost over 800 people yesterday, we lost over 500 people yesterday, thought by now maybe the arc for that Euro area was hopefully near but not so as displayed by the numbers. This is what this very depressing thread is really about. About 23,000 people dead in just these four countries now and these are the numbers that are available so thinking for obvious reasons there are many more fatalities.

22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States[e] 137,943 2,431 4,430 [4][6]
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy[f] 97,689 10,779 13,030 [9]
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China (mainland)[g] 81,439 3,300 75,448 [10]
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain[h] 78,799 6,606 14,709 [12]

22 hours ago, AHF said:

Some of those things have been born out to have real benefits like acupuncture.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/acupuncture/about/pac-20392763

Results

The benefits of acupuncture are sometimes difficult to measure, but many people find it helpful as a means to control a variety of painful conditions.

Several studies, however, indicate that some types of simulated acupuncture appear to work just as well as real acupuncture. There's also evidence that acupuncture works best in people who expect it to work.

Acupuncture has few side effects, so it may be worth a try if you're having trouble controlling pain with more-conventional methods.

This is from the above linked article.  A lot of people that go to psychics are really convinced that they were helped by a person with special supernatural abilities.  There is no real scientific data that demonstrates the efficacy of how acupuncture works other than a placebo effect(which sometimes is great if it enhances your mood and mental well-being).  Some people saying it helped them though is not evidence...at least not good evidence.  It is pseudoscience until studies done by real scientists demonstrate the mechanism by which this pre-biology philosophic practice results in real healing.

Has anybody heard anything from Charles Barkley.  When this all started to break 2 weeks ago, he was not on air and said that he was staying away from people because he was feeling bad.  Barkley isn't on social media, so he's not giving updates himself.   But I haven't seen or heard anything about him in 2 weeks.

I wonder if he's OK?

( edit ) - NVM:  I see he was on Colin Cowherd's show on Thursday

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

There is a pandemic going on right???

“On Monday, nearly 12.2 million people watched my briefing on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC, according to the Nielsen ratings...Monday Night Football numbers.” The President posted.

My county of about 200,000 people has 13 confirmed cases.  But because the Governor in Tennessee hasn't mandated any widespread shutdowns, the cities/counties are pretty much doing this on their own discretion. 

While I do see less traffic in my area, the only things I see that are closed, are retail shops, hair and nail salons, some ( not all ) barber shops, and buffet style restaurants.  I would say that 80% of my city is functional.

Everyone else is open, albeit they do have "social distancing" rules in place.  For restaurants, drive thru only ( if they have it ), or take out only ( with a limited number of people in the facility at a time ).  And all of the parks are open and have more people than normal at them.  I can't too much blame people./families for going to the park.  They're in their limited group and away from others.  The flip side is that all of the outdoor basketball courts are packed. 

I rode by the university here, and kids are still on campus, with dorms open, albeit all classes are online, and about 75% of the campus went home.  The sand volleyball courts on campus were full, but playing 2 on 2 style volleyball.

Memphis/Shelby Co. has quickly overtaken Nashville/Davidson Co. with having the most cases, and as I said the other day, will be the area to watch in Tennessee going forward.

Fatalities still remarkably low ( 7 ) considering that we have 1,537 cases now.  But the virus here is attacking the younger folks.

• Sad 1