• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'd had the same thought strike me--just that it feels strange (nothing more than that, not at all suggesting wild conspiracy theories or anything) that I've spent significantly more time this past week on Facebook than normal, and you'd think that someone among the 500-ish people who are "friends" there would have either indicated they had it, or if not themselves, reported and posted, as I did, that someone in their own circles (some larger, some smaller than 500, no doubt) had contracted it, or worse.

But no. Just me.

Hope it stays that way for you, Strurt!  The best case scenario would be for us to take effective measures that limit the spread of this disease so that it seems like all those steps were unnecessary because that is how many people will see them if they work.

• Like 2

I'm not the most out-going guy, kind of a homebody really,  and I limit my activity in social media.  I know of nobody that has tested positive yet.  However, last week, a fair number of our patients that we transport to dialysis and other doctor's appointments, were in the hospital.  No idea if it is covid-19 related but these are high risk people so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Sad 1

Let's see . . 

I tried to register to get my unemployment benefits Saturday, but despite the website saying I was in the system, my username and password was incorrect.  Duh.  I haven't been unemployed since the last American disaster . . 9/11.  But the system back then was strictly a phone system. I don't even think they had a website set up to register and track benefits. I had to go straight to the office to register.

So I'm like . . Cool. I call them on Monday morning and see what I need to do.

I call them, and the woman immediately starts talking to me like I'm stupid and overtalking me as I'm trying to explain that the website is down and I need assistance.   After I give her my info, she sees that I am in the system and directs me to register online.  Once again, I had to explain that the website is down and when I tried to register on Saturday, it wouldn't let me do it because of the incorrect password.

She then quickly runs down a list of things I need to do to reset the password.  I stopped her and told her that I needed to get a pen. She then damn near puts me on hold, because she has 3 other people on the line. 

Nah . . you gonna stay right on this line, because it didn't take me 10 seconds to find a pen. No way are you going to put me on hold.

After writing her instructions down, she tells me to call back if I have any problems.

45 minutes later, the website is still down, so I call back.  A different woman answers and I tell her the situation. She admits that the website on her end, while up, is going very slow.  She sends me to someone else, because she says that she isn't equipped to do claims over the phone ( so that makes her useless ).

I call that other person, and get his answering service.

So after 90 minutes, the state website is still down, and I'm assuming that it will be down all day.  I may try very late a night to access it, and see if I can reset my username and password so that I can file a claim.

One of the things this virus is doing, is that it's exposing all of America's flaws, greed, and unpreparedness for various situations.  The money isn't going to be the issue.  I'm good on that end for now.  But it's like every federal and state agency isn't preparing for the worst case scenarios.  Instead of all of this red tape and jumping through hoops, just make shit quick and simple for people. We're far too advanced of a country to be letting little things trip us up.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

31 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

I'm not the most out-going guy, kind of a homebody really,  and I limit my activity in social media.  I know of nobody that has tested positive yet.  However, last week, a fair number of our patients that we transport to dialysis and other doctor's appointments, were in the hospital.  No idea if it is covid-19 related but these are high risk people so it wouldn't surprise me.

This story started to break Saturday night, in a city about 30 minutes to the northeast of Nashville.  It started out as a few patients having COVID, and the nursing home being evacuated because of it.

Now it's really blowing up into a story that may go national in about 2 - 3 days, if not sooner.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/dead-hospitalized-amid-covid--outbreak-at-gallatin-rehabilitation-center/article_d3c90612-7106-11ea-b327-a380e71a02a6.html

My thing is, the first responders on the scene ( while wearing masks ), were not wearing any type of hand protection.  So as they're going in and out of the building, and getting patients beds to a hospital, how many of the first responders also got infected that night, but haven't been tested yet?  And with this virus, they may not show symptoms for up to 2 weeks.

This is exactly why COVID-19 is so dangerous. You don't know who has it. You don't know if you got it by breathing it in, or touching a contaminated surface and touching your nose or face later ( without washing your hands, or your hands being completely clean ).

The other thing is this.  We're trusting people that prepare food at restaurants or fast food places, but they may be coughing all over the place as well.

My suggestion to all of you, is that you do not touch any door, railing, etc with your bare hands.  And if you do, wash your hands thoroughly when you get home.  I know I look stupid as hell with gloves on at the grocery store.  But for the first time, I saw a cashier that had on a mask and had on gloves, behind a plexiglas that shielded the top half of her body from the customer. ( this was at Lowe's ).  The other cashier didn't go to this extreme, so I guess it's not company policy to mask and glove up.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I'd had the same thought strike me--just that it feels strange (nothing more than that, not at all suggesting wild conspiracy theories or anything) that I've spent significantly more time this past week on Facebook than normal, and you'd think that someone among the 500-ish people who are "friends" there would have either indicated they had it, or if not themselves, reported and posted, as I did, that someone in their own circles (some larger, some smaller than 500, no doubt) had contracted it, or worse.

But no. Just me.

I would bet that some of those people can tell a "flu" story that they had in the past 2 - 3 months though.   Some of the people who thought they had the flu, may have had COVID, but just weren't tested for it.  I've personally have never seen so many people that have been sick in my workplace ( hourly workers and staff included ).

Even I never really got tremendously bad, and I avoided all of the sickness until early March.  The fact that I didn't have so much of a sniffle all winter, but get hit in March, is what concerned me a little.

• Moderators

My former sister in law and husband in kansas city had to go to the emergency room.  last i heard they are awaiting test results but are suspected infected.  They are doing ok and back home.

There is all this supposedly great news about new testing kits and protective equipment but what i'm hearing none of that has come to fruition out where it counts.   You still can't really get a test in GA and quick turnarounds are impossible right now.   The ventilator thing still seems super dicey.  

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

My former sister in law and husband in kansas city had to go to the emergency room.  last i heard they are awaiting test results but are suspected infected.  They are doing ok and back home.

There is all this supposedly great news about new testing kits and protective equipment but what i'm hearing none of that has come to fruition out where it counts.   You still can't really get a test in GA and quick turnarounds are impossible right now.   The ventilator thing still seems super dicey.  

I firmly believe that most of these states do not want to test everyone, for fear that they'll run out of test kids for the ones who are truly symptomatic.   And even then, they want you to have ALL of the symptoms, before doing the test. ( at least in Tennessee )

But the way to really try to beat this, is to damn near test everyone, and see who has or doesn't have it.   That's when you can tell even asymptomatic people that they have to quarantine for 14 - 21 days until the virus is out of their body, and can't transmit it to other people.

Until that day, this will be like rising flood waters.  Some places will get overwhelmed quickly by the flood, while other places will slowly see the water creep up and up.

The flood will effect everyone though, whether physically or economically.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I firmly believe that most of these states do not want to test everyone, for fear that they'll run out of test kids for the ones who are truly symptomatic.   And even then, they want you to have ALL of the symptoms, before doing the test. ( at least in Tennessee )

But the way to really try to beat this, is to damn near test everyone, and see who has or doesn't have it.   That's when you can tell even asymptomatic people that they have to quarantine for 14 - 21 days until the virus is out of their body, and can't transmit it to other people.

Until that day, this will be like rising flood waters.  Some places will get overwhelmed quickly by the flood, while other places will slowly see the water creep up and up.

exactly.  testing is the only way short of a vaccine or effective treatment.

• Like 3

Like I said . . everything is being exposed.   People have talked about infrastructure projects for years, but have kicked the can down the road.   Rural areas are even more neglected from this standpoint.  I won't get into the political side of how rural Americans vote against their best interest at times when it comes to these issues.  But it's all getting exposed now.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2020/03/30/coronavirus-highlights-internet-access-inequality-tennessee/2916210001/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Like I said . . everything is being exposed.   People have talked about infrastructure projects for years, but have kicked the can down the road.   Rural areas are even more neglected from this standpoint.  I won't get into the political side of how rural Americans vote against their best interest at times when it comes to these issues.  But it's all getting exposed now.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2020/03/30/coronavirus-highlights-internet-access-inequality-tennessee/2916210001/

Just can't even imagine not being connected after being on for almost thirty years now. Wow. Remember the MindSpring days in Atlanta back when.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is a very good description!

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I firmly believe that most of these states do not want to test everyone, for fear that they'll run out of test kids for the ones who are truly symptomatic. 

That's been explicitly said by Dr. Fauci during the WH pressers recently, actually.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

This is interesting:

NBA executives still hope they can arrange a one-site 16-team playoff with a five-to-seven-game regular season as a warmup, all conducted without fans in attendance, according to multiple league sources.

“They’re very determined to have a champion,” one industry source said.

The playoffs could be reduced to best-of-three series for the duration of the playoffs, while a single-elimination format has been all but ruled out and would only be considered as a last resort.

“Nothing is off the table,” another league official said.

Las Vegas, Orlando, Atlantic City, Hawaii and Louisville have been mentioned as possible place to host the playoffs.

The NBA hasn't ruled out the possibility of canceling the season altogether. 

I just don't see how they play until there is some semblance of control (specific treatment) with the virus.

My guess is they'll play without fans?

They'll have to be doing temperatures checks on plsyers and personnel 3 times a day.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not an end but The world is cleansing itself 🙁., and I'm talking less about the deaths but more amount air pollution, emissions, smog etc. 

Waterways in Venice are running clear and fish and birds are returning. Dolphins also seen in canal.

Oh my a globalist.  God made the earth and will destroy it again one day.  There is nothing man can do to destroy it.   Man is nothing without the creator.   There are evil people in this world set on the almighty dollar and will do anything to get it.   One thing about history is it reveals what happened in the past if you can get past those who try to hide it.  I'm 60 years old and been around the block a few times.  So a different strain comes out next year. What happens then?  A total shutdown?   Just look through the shadows.  

• Confused 2

• Premium Member

Calling out @TheNorthCydeRises and @KB21 or anyone else who follows this way better than I do. 

What are your initial thoughts on the possible hydroxychloroquine/chloroquine or leronlimab to help treat this? Or anything else that I might have missed browsing the webs the last few days.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Oh my a globalist.  God made the earth and will destroy it again one day.  There is nothing man can do to destroy it.   Man is nothing without the creator.   There are evil people in this world set on the almighty dollar and will do anything to get it.   One thing about history is it reveals what happened in the past if you can get past those who try to hide it.  I'm 60 years old and been around the block a few times.  So a different strain comes out next year. What happens then?  A total shutdown?   Just look through the shadows.  

No globalist bs, just common sense. At some point 'it' will all end. In the meantime......we live a new normal.

In your 60 years how often does a 'strain' come along? Chances are we'll still be dealing with the ramifications of this next year.

In your 60 years have you seen something like this?

Please, do tell what you see in the shadows?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1